5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raptor R LoL

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I think the Raptor R maybe a little faster than the SuperSnake but I still expect a similar outcome. Long Live the King

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Not sure, the Raptor R will have the GT500 motor, likely slightly more hp though a little less torque than the TRX. The difference is it won't be a cobbled together aftermarket truck but a factory vehicle with baked-in performance to take advantage of that power.

Factor in the substantially lighter weight of the Raptor platform with a GT500 based motor, I don't think the current TRX will have a chance. Of course RAM will just come out with a higher powered version of that one as a counter to the Raptor-R.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure, the Raptor R will have the GT500 motor, likely slightly more hp though a little less torque than the TRX. The difference is it won't be a cobbled together aftermarket truck but a factory vehicle with baked-in performance to take advantage of that power.

Factor in the substantially lighter weight of the Raptor platform with a GT500 based motor, I don't think the current TRX will have a chance. Of course RAM will just come out with a higher powered version of that one as a counter to the Raptor-R.
Ford knows what they're up against. I'm sure they've had plenty of seat time in a TRX to figure out what they need to do. It's just a question of whether they are willing to build something fast enough that they will also want to warranty :)

BowDown

Reaction score
Thats a Shelby super snake truck built by Shelby America, its not cobbled together. I think that one was 750HP but like I said, i think the Raptor R will be faster than the Shelby but not TRX faster.
I also suspect that FCA is sitting around like a bunch of grinning cats holding the string to a shoe box mousetrap waiting for ford to one up them then they drop the Redeye TRX on fords head.

Also, these heavy trucks need torque, not necessarily HP and the GT500 engine doesn't make more torque than the HC or Redeye engine and cant with a 5.2. Cubes make torque and cubes and boost on a 6.2 will always make more torque than 5.2 and boost. The 5.2 will be more peaky too because of its smaller size

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Read that the Raptor R preproduction mules were having 'durability issues' above 650 HP so we'll have to see what the final output is.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Thats a Shelby super snake truck built by Shelby America, its not cobbled together. I think that one was 750HP but like I said, i think the Raptor R will be faster than the Shelby but not TRX faster.
I also suspect that FCA is sitting around like a bunch of grinning cats holding the string to a shoe box mousetrap waiting for ford to one up them then they drop the Redeye TRX on fords head

Its a regular F150 with a supercharger and some bits, that's cobbled together compared to a factory effort with the engineering to back it up.

There is no secret sauce here, the Raptor R will have more power and quite a bit lighter, it will have the engineering to harness the traction required to utilize that power to the ground. I don't know how you think the TRX will be faster here? What advantage would it have to the R? It isn't going to lose 500 lbs of weight is it?

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Read that the Raptor R preproduction mules were having 'durability issues' above 650 HP so we'll have to see what the final output is.

Sure, that's part of the process, lets wait and see what the finish product will be. Based on math, I at least won't say it will be slower than a TRX.

BowDown

Reaction score
Its a regular F150 with a supercharger and some bits, that's cobbled together compared to a factory effort with the engineering to back it up.

There is no secret sauce here, the Raptor R will have more power and quite a bit lighter, it will have the engineering to harness the traction required to utilize that power to the ground. I don't know how you think the TRX will be faster here? What advantage would it have to the R? It isn't going to lose 500 lbs of weight is it?

Again, thats Shelby America, not a tuner shop.
shelby.com/en-us/
The Raptor is ~5700lbs with a v6, a SC'd V8 will add 2-300lbs easy making the weight more even. I don't know about more power, the SuperSnake truck is alleged to be at 750-770hp but likely a lot less TQ. The Raptor R will have an increase but I don't see it being that much that's not really as important as its average hp/tq which will be far lower, as you said, threes no secret sauce to that. 5.2 vs 6.2 isn't going to have the same average HP/TQ. To equal that out, Ford would need to turn the boost up and the mustangs DCT trans already isn't taking that so its likely the Raptor are will have a similar issue and it would be magnified in a vehicle 2000 lbs heavier

BowDown

Reaction score

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The GT500 engines are having some issues as well
I thought I read somewhere that the 5.2 flat plane motors were going to be discontinued...assuming that's the motor going into the current GT500.

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sure, that's part of the process, lets wait and see what the finish product will be. Based on math, I at least won't say it will be slower than a TRX.
Maybe, but it's pretty late in the development cycle for issues like this. But you're right, we'll just have to wait and see. Based on the Raptor's pricing though, the Raptor R will probably be a good 10k more than a TRX (but maybe that doesn't matter too much to buyers of trucks pushing 100k).

Also, as soon as the R becomes official, Ram will just do a TRX Redeye like BD said.
I thought I read somewhere that the 5.2 flat plane motors were going to be discontinued...assuming that's the motor going into the current GT500.
No the FPC is the GT350 engine, which was already discontinued and 'replaced' with the Mach 1 that has the 5.0 (and slightly more power than the GT)

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Again, thats Shelby America, not a tuner shop.
shelby.com/en-us/
The Raptor is ~5700lbs with a v6, a SC'd V8 will add 2-300lbs easy making the weight more even. I don't know about more power, the SuperSnake truck is alleged to be at 750-770hp but likely a lot less TQ. The Raptor R will have an increase but I don't see it being that much that's not really as important as its average hp/tq which will be far lower, as you said, threes no secret sauce to that. 5.2 vs 6.2 isn't going to have the same average HP/TQ. To equal that out, Ford would need to turn the boost up and the mustangs DCT trans already isn't taking that so its likely the Raptor are will have a similar issue and it would be magnified in a vehicle 2000 lbs heavier

Compared to Ford, they are indeed a tuner shop.

Pretty much what I said on weight, I expect the Raptor R to be about 500 lbs lighter. 5900 vs 6400, that isn't a small difference if they have similar overall power.

We don't know how these trucks will stack up until the Raptor R shows up. My point is you can't use the Shelby Supersnake as a proxy for the Raptor R.

BowDown

Reaction score
Compared to Ford, they are indeed a tuner shop.

Pretty much what I said on weight, the expect the Raptor R to be about 500 lbs lighter. 5900 vs 6400, that isn't a small difference if they have similar overall power.

We don't know how these trucks will stack up until the Raptor R shows up. My point is you can't use the Shelby Supersnake as a proxy for the Raptor R.

Raptor R is getting a heavier V8 and a heavy SC, how's it going to lose weight?
Yeah, I can use the super snake as a proxy as its lighter than the current raptor and has the equivalent power of the supposed Raptor R. Its all power to weight

silver billet

Reaction score
I couldn't really care that much about either of these trucks as both are nuts IMHO, only in that while TRX is on top the Ford Fans get that smug grin wiped off their face <-- priceless.

But I have to agree, the bigger displacement is always going to have the advantage. And I also have to agree that Ram isn't sitting still and I love that mousetrap analogy since it's probably very accurate.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Raptor R is getting a heavier V8 and a heavy SC, how's it going to lose weight?

Loose weight? I added weight to the Raptor V6, my estimate is 5900 lbs vs 6400 lbs TRX. But I could be off, I was too lazy to find the weight of the Raptors 3.5TT vs Predator V8. Then there is the weight difference with the 10-speed auto vs 7-Speed DCT.

Again, until the Raptor R is released, we don't know the weight will be.

BowDown

Reaction score

They are back to cross plane cranks but those two 6 foot long timing chains are problems and they've had some oiling issues

BowDown

Reaction score
Loose weight? I added weight to the Raptor V6, my estimate is 5900 lbs vs 6400 lbs TRX. But I could be off, I was too lazy to find the weight of the Raptors 3.5TT vs Predator V8. Then there is the weight difference with the 10-speed auto vs 7-Speed DCT.

Raptor v6 is already 57-5900lbs depending on options adding a v8 and an SC increases weight

BowDown

Reaction score
I couldn't really care that much about either of these trucks as both are nuts IMHO, only in that while TRX is on top the Ford Fans get that smug grin wiped off their face <-- priceless.

But I have to agree, the bigger displacement is always going to have the advantage. And I also have to agree that Ram isn't sitting still and I love that mousetrap analogy since it's probably very accurate.

I agree. If Ram offered a street version of the TRX, then I'd be interested. The off-road ability does nothing for me

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Raptor v6 is already 57-5900lbs depending on options adding a v8 and an SC increases weight

I was going with 5700 lbs, the Ecoboost 3.5 TT isn't exactly light either. Besides the engine, you have the tranny differences as well and whatever other stuff they may change.

So again, conjecture here, but I don't think that whatever differences will make the weight between both trucks equal, I suspect the R will have a clear weight advantage.

BowDown

Reaction score
I was going with 5700 lbs, the Ecoboost 3.5 TT isn't exactly light either. Besides the engine, you have the tranny differences as well and whatever other stuff they may change.

So again, conjecture here, but I don't think that whatever differences will make the weight between both trucks equal, I suspect the R will have a clear weight advantage.

Im guessing 6100 Raptor R to the TRX's 6300. In a 3000lb car thats significant. In two 6000lbs 700HP trucks, not so much .
If they upgrade brakes on the raptor for the increased power, that alone would negate the weight difference. Between those and the suspected lower torque number and the lower average power and the peakier curve, I see it being slower than the TRX but we will see

Users who are viewing this thread