5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rant about Trailer Back up.

TAK

Reaction score
OK after 2k pulling my Airstream around Texas can anyone tell me why my trailer back up steering always needs calibration . For example today I pulled into the local KOA after driving a good 150 miles with turns stops and etc. I go to back up use the trailer joy button and it tells me that I have to calibrate. This has been a constant problem. Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. I am not towing any thing else. Not that I need it...however it does make backing up a lot easier.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What is the trailer joy button? I have a Limited but there is no joy stick/button I am aware of.

zlman

Reaction score
What?? Gonna need more details on this joy button.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Assuming this, he has a 2021

RM021_440FNl6075pu9q8so3qml5lkenra0n4.jpg

BNeal

Reaction score
Mine came with it but I have never used it. Have you talked to your service department?

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Assuming this, he has a 2021

RM021_440FNl6075pu9q8so3qml5lkenra0n4.jpg
Off topic, but I didn’t know the trailer tow group came with aux switches. I don’t need the reverse controller, but I would have ordered the group just for the aux switches, which might be useful one day.

Edit: I feel better now. The trailer tow group doesn’t come with aux switches; that picture is from the TRX.

Nick821

Reaction score
I had the same problem in my 2021 Laramie. I used it for the first time towing my boat for the seasonal splash. Drove about 35 miles with turns and didn't calibrate. Splashed the old fashion way! Tried in the parking lot of ramp and worked without boat. Was working when I got home but would not turn enough to back up my driveway! So far it seems to be an expensive piece of non working technology. I plan on complaining when I bring it in for service.

Reactions: TAK

piper618

Reaction score
Mine works great but remember to turn off park assist sensors when you do back up as the sensor thinks there is something there and crash avoidance kicks in and applies the brakes. This is a big surprise when it happens. Oh another issue is the tailgate down backing up same issue

Users who are viewing this thread