5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Random Volume Spike

titan3636

Reaction score
‘21 limited, 12” UC4, 39.9 —
Anyone having issue with song volume turning way up on its own when using car play? I’ve noticed it with Apple Music and Spotify. I’ll be driving along and all of a sudden the volume will scream so loud. When I turn the knob one click it’ll go back down to where it was. The separate siri/nav volume is very low and it still does it. Most of the time it’s when I’m not moving, at a light or parked. Intermittent and can’t figure out what is causing it. Been doing it for months. Scares the s#it out of me sometimes.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Sounds like differnet volumes set for different things on your phone.
Sometimes if I have app volume low, but notification volume high when I get a notification while playing music it will increase the volume for a few moments.
This is an Android for me, not sure if iphones are similar.

titan3636

Reaction score
The car play has separate sound setting for app sounds like Waze or Maps then the normal radio volume. Can’t figure out what makes it randomly spike tho

HMC8403

Reaction score
Mine has been acting up, more like a reverse speed adjust. Normally when you drive faster the volume should increase; lately when I go to a drive thru and I come to a stop, the volume increases. Then when I go to lower the volume, a single click/turn, the volume returns to low.

Svt40

Reaction score
Mine has been acting up, more like a reverse speed adjust. Normally when you drive faster the volume should increase; lately when I go to a drive thru and I come to a stop, the volume increases. Then when I go to lower the volume, a single click/turn, the volume returns to low.
Mine has been doing the same thing lately. Sometimes it will increase volume for no reason. Sometimes it works as it's supposed to. I have the speed volume set to "1".
I've also noticed on some radio stations the music sounds as if they are speeding it up in certain parts of the song. Not sure if it's an HD audio compression issue or if the station is doing this to try and fit more into less time.

titan3636

Reaction score
Yes exactly what mine is doing too!

titan3636

Reaction score
This is driving me nuts. From what I can tell it only happens with Apple car play. Not the radio. Does it with wireless cplay2air and wired connection alike. Etorque off or on. Been trying to isolate something that makes it happen but can’t get it to make since yet. Happening more and more often now tho. Updated iPhone software and that didn’t change anything. Doesn’t do it every time. Very frustrating and can’t figure out what triggers it to start happening vs other times driving and it doesn’t occur.
Maybe I’ll make an appointment with the dealership to update the Uconnect software to 40.1 to see if that makes a difference. Haven’t found anyone on here that can provide the update file to do it ourself yet.

titan3636

Reaction score
Ugh, updated to 40.1 and still having this issue. Absolutely hate it. Will stop at a light or someting and a few seconds later the volume will change. Sometimes it goes lower and sometimes it screams so loud it scares the $hit out of me. Can’t figure it out.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This would be an issue with your phone more than the truck. When connected using carplay it android auto, the volume levels are set by the phone. Yes, you have volume control through the head unit, but that is changing the phone volume through carplay

1500DFW

Reaction score
Mine does this too in my 19 Limited 12” screen. It never did it on my 19 Laramie 8.4” screen. Same phone. When CarPlay is on the phone cannot change volume. The controls are disabled. Any idea how the phone is changing the volume?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Mine does this too in my 19 Limited 12” screen. It never did it on my 19 Laramie 8.4” screen. Same phone. When CarPlay is on the phone cannot change volume. The controls are disabled. Any idea how the phone is changing the volume?
Get a notification it lowers volume, then volume goes back up. It's not the truck lowering the volume. It's the phone. Probably a glitch with Carplay/android auto

titan3636

Reaction score
Get a notification it lowers volume, then volume goes back up. It's not the truck lowering the volume. It's the phone. Probably a glitch with Carplay/android auto
Thats incorrect. The volume doesn’t lower and it isn’t a new notification. The only thing I can find that is consistent with the volume spike is the vehicle being at a stop. Once the vehicle comes to a stop after a couple seconds the volume will change. Then one click of the volume knob will return it to the set volume. It’s a very weird bug.

1500DFW

Reaction score
Thats incorrect. The volume doesn’t lower and it isn’t a new notification. The only thing I can find that is consistent with the volume spike is the vehicle being at a stop. Once the vehicle comes to a stop after a couple seconds the volume will change. Then one click of the volume knob will return it to the set volume. It’s a very weird bug.

Right. It’s definitely not the phone. The volume controls on the phone are disabled when it’s connected to CarPlay. Like I said I’ve used the same phone on two different trucks and it only does it on my current truck. I’ve turned on and off the speed leveling feature. Makes no difference.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I was responding to the comment that the phone doesn't control volume when using Carplay. But it does/can.

Do you have your speed controlled volume on? What setting are you using. Now that you mention it taking a few seconds after coming to a stop, mine(UC4 12") was doing that the other day. I chalked it up to the speed controlled volume control.

titan3636

Reaction score
Im pretty sure I’ve tried it with speed control disabled and still had the issue. Weird thing is that it doesn’t for it all the time. I’ve been trying to go through all my iPhone settings as well to see if maybe some CarPlay, notification, or music setting could be triggering it. Just gonna keep messing around with it to try and drill something solid down as the issue. I’ve done other searches online and can’t seem to find other support forums with anyone else complaining about this tho. I’m really stumped.

1500DFW

Reaction score
I’ve tried every setting combination I can think of. Nothing makes it stop or changes the frequency of it. It’s not the volume leveling. I’m sure it’s not the phone. Because I’ve used the same phone in two different trucks. It only does it on my 19 Limited 12.1” screen. No rhyme or reason.

I’ve used the same phone on several other makes of cars that have CarPlay and it’s never done it on anything except this particular RAM.

Users who are viewing this thread