5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Random Start

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Had a strange thing happen tonight and wondering if anybody has any insight. I made a stop after work. Get out of the truck close the front door...open the back door before the power steps retract and grab my bag out of the back seat. Key fob is in this bag. Close the back door and realize I forgot to hit the lock on the front door. Not wanting to fish out the fob, I open the driver's door again and hit the lock button and close the door. The truck now beeps 3 times (could have been 2 I forget now) and the truck proceeds to start up. Slight panic sets in I grab the door handle and it's locked...it quickly unlocks (thankfully) probably due to proximity sensor and the truck turns off. I always have the key in my bag and lock by manually hitting the lock button on the front door...never has the truck just started on me. Any idea what I could have triggered here?

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Had a strange thing happen tonight and wondering if anybody has any insight. I made a stop after work. Get out of the truck close the front door...open the back door before the power steps retract and grab my bag out of the back seat. Key fob is in this bag. Close the back door and realize I forgot to hit the lock on the front door. Not wanting to fish out the fob, I open the driver's door again and hit the lock button and close the door. The truck now beeps 3 times (could have been 2 I forget now) and the truck proceeds to start up. Slight panic sets in I grab the door handle and it's locked...it quickly unlocks (thankfully) probably due to proximity sensor and the truck turns off. I always have the key in my bag and lock by manually hitting the lock button on the front door...never has the truck just started on me. Any idea what I could have triggered here?
You triggered remote start on the key fob. Something in the bag must have pressed up against. No other reason than that for it to start.

6of36

Reaction score
You triggered remote start on the key fob. Something in the bag must have pressed up against. No other reason than that for it to start.
I've had my vehicle remote start a few time, when the fob in my pocket got triggered by something in my pocket. I have started carrying just the fob in a pocket, with the rest of my keys on a carabiner. Happens way less often.

23RAM

Reaction score
The truck now beeps 3 times (could have been 2 I forget now) and the truck proceeds to start up.
I concur...probably hit the remote start button without knowing it. I don't keep anything else in that pocket with the fob for the same reason.

Also there's a few scenarios where you could lock your fob in the truck when locking it from inside. There's a button on the door handle to lock it when you exit so you can't lock yourself out.

vincentw56

Reaction score
I concur...probably hit the remote start button without knowing it. I don't keep anything else in that pocket with the fob for the same reason.

Also there's a few scenarios where you could lock your fob in the truck when locking it from inside. There's a button on the door handle to lock it when you exit so you can't lock yourself out.
Before I had passive entry, I only used the lock button when exiting the vehicle, so do really. There are a few times when my key fob was in the center console or cup holders. It never let me lock the doors. It would honk 3 times and unlock the doors. I'm not sure how you'd be able to lock your fob in there that way. Let me know what scenario let's you do that. I'm curious.

6of36

Reaction score
Before I had passive entry, I only used the lock button when exiting the vehicle, so do really. There are a few times when my key fob was in the center console or cup holders. It never let me lock the doors. It would honk 3 times and unlock the doors. I'm not sure how you'd be able to lock your fob in there that way. Let me know what scenario let's you do that. I'm curious.
After 3 tries, it will lock. They give the warnings, to make sure you know the fob is inside by choice, not an accident.

vincentw56

Reaction score
After 3 tries, it will lock. They give the warnings, to make sure you know the fob is inside by choice, not an accident.
Interesting, I never tried more then once. I'll be honest, I was surprised and glad the first time it did it.

23RAM

Reaction score
Let me know what scenario let's you do that. I'm curious.
Fob battery is weak.
Electrical interference from a device like a phone or pad beside the fob.
Hitting the doorlock switch 3 times in a row.

All of those are possible scenarios where the truck could lock the doors with your fob inside. As mentioned, the last one is easy to check yourself - sit in the truck with the door open, hit the doorlock 3x overrides the safety feature, then close the door - you're now locked inside. Do it from the outside and you've locked yourself out.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Thanks - I never think to lock it this way - old habit - but I will start trying to make it a new thing

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is what I was figuring but routine is exactly the same and always the possibility of gremlins - didn't realize the button on the fob could be that sensitive. I'll be making some adjustments.

Users who are viewing this thread