5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Random led question

Rockyroad217

Reaction score
For those of us with the LED headlights, what happens when they burn out? I mean im sure they have an expectancy of years, but is there a bulb in there or an led board or something? I searched around and didnt see anything relating to that question.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I havent read it, its still in its fancy plastic wrap haha i mean i guess i could look in there if it tells.

I downloaded the OM from Mopar.com. For all the LED bulbs it says "Bulb Number: LED (Serviced At An Authorized Dealer)".

By "all", I mean that it says that for the headlamps, the turn signals, side marker lights, fog lamps, and tail/turn and stop lamp.

Well, I guess I no longer have to worry about the pain of replacing head light bulbs that I had in my 4th Gen.... :LOL:

I wonder if a burnt out bulb will be covered by my MaxCare warranty after my initial 3/36 is up.

Rockyroad217

Reaction score
I downloaded the OM from Mopar.com. For all the LED bulbs it says "Bulb Number: LED (Serviced At An Authorized Dealer)".

By "all", I mean that it says that for the headlamps, the turn signals, side marker lights, fog lamps, and tail/turn and stop lamp.

Well, I guess I no longer have to worry about the pain of replacing head light bulbs that I had in my 4th Gen.... :LOL:

I wonder if a burnt out bulb will be covered by my MaxCare warranty after my initial 3/36 is up.

No kidding. The dealership will probably have a procedure for a headlight burnt out as "replace entire headlight assembly."

ppowell1983

Reaction score

I don’t believe the LED ASSEMBLIES are covered beyond 12/12 because their considered “bulbs”. From the Durango forums the assemblies for the racetrack lights are being covered if you have a good dealer, but there’s been a large number of them that tell you to pound sand beyond 12/12. The max car Chrysler extended warranty definitely doesn’t cover them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don’t believe the LED ASSEMBLIES are covered beyond 12/12 because their considered “bulbs”. From the Durango forums the assemblies for the racetrack lights are being covered if you have a good dealer, but there’s been a large number of them that tell you to pound sand beyond 12/12. The max car Chrysler extended warranty definitely doesn’t cover them.

So, any idea what it might cost if an LED headlamp does go out for some reason?

It seems implicit in your post that there are multiple Durango owners with LED headlamps that have gone out. That's a bit disturbing. LED headlights haven't been around THAT long. I would not expect ANY of them to have reached their service life. Are those people just having them randomly burn out?

ppowell1983

Reaction score
So, any idea what it might cost if an LED headlamp does go out for some reason?

It seems implicit in your post that there are multiple Durango owners with LED headlamps that have gone out. That's a bit disturbing. LED headlights haven't been around THAT long. I would not expect ANY of them to have reached their service life. Are those people just having them randomly burn out?

Oops. I said headlamps. I meant tail lamps, the racetrack lights with 192LED bulbs in them.

Some get water in them, others just have some burn out randomly. Check out Dodge Durango LED racetrack lights. Others are having the brake and turn signals go out in the back.

0f18b281b76d83df27361d8dff661438.jpg

a466ebabb05ff91a25459e174af0edc5.jpg

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Oops. I said headlamps. I meant tail lamps, the racetrack lights with 192LED bulbs in them.

Some get water in them, others just have some burn out randomly. Check out Dodge Durango LED racetrack lights. Others are having the brake and turn signals go out in the back.

So, for people that were told to pound sand, what is it costing them to fix it?

ppowell1983

Reaction score
So, for people that were told to pound sand, what is it costing them to fix it?

If you only need the center light it’s like $600. If you need either corner it’s $350-400 on discount mopar sites

Rockyroad217

Reaction score
I guess i would have to do a cost comparison between new ones or retroshop doing something with them

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just did a full halogen to LED conversion. The tail lights were $309 each; The headlights were $525 each. These were for the mid-level LEDs without Blind Spot Monitoring. BSM will cost more, and the HID LEDs on the Limited and Longhorns are even more.

ForTehNguyen

Reaction score
I just did a full halogen to LED conversion. The tail lights were $309 each; The headlights were $525 each. These were for the mid-level LEDs without Blind Spot Monitoring. BSM will cost more, and the HID LEDs on the Limited and Longhorns are even more.

thats cheaper than I thought it would be, especially for the headlights

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
thats cheaper than I thought it would be, especially for the headlights
List price for the tails/heads is $400/ea and $800/ea respectively. That's what you could expect to pay at most dealerships. However, there are a lot of ecommerce wholesalers that discount them significantly. I got my tail lights at rockauto, and the headlights at BAM Wholesale Parts.

TheMadDutchDude

Reaction score
Is it just me, or does that fade in the Durango lights actually look kind of badass? :D

I know they’re failing... but it looks sweet.

Users who are viewing this thread