5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ranch toppers

Kaderast

Reaction score
Just ordered a new Bighorn, expect to take delivery in June. Want to get a topper ordered asap as it looks like they are anywhere from 4-12 weeks out depending on the manufacturer.

I like the look and price of the Ranch Fusion topper, just can't find many reviews of it online. Anyone have this topper and want to share their opinion?

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just ordered a new Bighorn, expect to take delivery in June. Want to get a topper ordered asap as it looks like they are anywhere from 4-12 weeks out depending on the manufacturer.

I like the look and price of the Ranch Fusion topper, just can't find many reviews of it online. Anyone have this topper and want to share their opinion?
Built by LTA Manufacturing who also build ATC, Jason, Ranch and Loadmaster brands. I’ve owned ATC and found my last two Leers to be better quality...cost more but better quality. My ATV had very poor back door fitment to the tailgate and the passenger side window always leaked when it rained...poor seal between window frame and fiberglass. Warranty did nothing for these issues so decided to never look at them again.

Last edited:

Techguy2000

Reaction score
I got a Ranch Fusion on for the last 8 months with no complaints. I saw it next to Leer and the sales guy said there is really no difference except for price and I couldn't find a reason to spend ~$500 more for similar options.

Attachments

• 20210412_173929.jpg
    20210412_173929.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 88

Kaderast

Reaction score
I got a Ranch Fusion on for the last 8 months with no complaints. I saw it next to Leer and the sales guy said there is really no difference except for price and I couldn't find a reason to spend ~$500 more for similar options.
Dang, that looks great! My local dealer of Ranch (also sells ARE) basically told me this afternoon that the fit on Ranch toppers is terrible and he's tired of dealing with customer complaints. He was even kind of an a-hole about it. Really want to like that topper, sales guy completely scared me off of it though....

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dang, that looks great! My local dealer of Ranch (also sells ARE) basically told me this afternoon that the fit on Ranch toppers is terrible and he's tired of dealing with customer complaints. He was even kind of an a-hole about it. Really want to like that topper, sales guy completely scared me off of it though....
My brother has had an ARE for the past eight years with zero issues. He swears by it but they are more than the Ranch brand and the model he purchased back then cost more than my Leer. I’m a firm believer you get what you pay for...

Whatever brand you purchase, inspect it thoroughly BEFORE they put it on your truck. Also do a hose test at the dealer as soon as they install it to ensure the windows don’t leak water. Finally, try the window and door to ensure they operate properly before you leave the dealer. You’re better off losing a deposit versus buying a headache that won’t fit the bill as you will never be happy with it.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't know anything about that brand but here's what I have on my truck:

full

It's a Leer 180 or something like that. I bought it new at Leonard and I'm happy with it except for the sliding front window, which rattles. I can't hear it unless I have my rear window open, and then I can hear it. It's annoying but not enough to worry about it.

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The newer models of Leer and ARE are the best. Their sub brands, Century and Ranch use some cheaper materials and aren’t as good. ARE Z2 and Leer 100XL are my personally fav. The main difference in ARE and Leer is the opening/latch systems and the supports for the windows. Forget which one is better.

Techna

Reaction score
Good looking truck. Clean and classy.

Kaderast

Reaction score
Any chance you can post a pic of the rear with the door open? I'm curious how high the rear door opens on these, I've hit my head 100 times on my old topper getting out of my bed, but it only opens to about parallel with the ground. Hoping these open a little higher....

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
ARE and Leer also have the best dealer networks out there (if you're in the west Snugtop is good too, I'm always baffled by why they don't cross the Mississippi); I went by the Ranch top website to see who was closest to me and the closest dealer they list has been out of business for at least 5 years (was the place I bought my last cap). Cut-rate stuff is usually that way for a reason. Back a while ago - like 20 years ago - I had a Jason cap and it was a really good cap, the fit was great and it didn't flex. But they're long out of business. You asked about the door - I don't know about the Ranch but the cap I have the door opens about 120-150 degrees (where 180 would be straight up and down). No chance on hitting your head on the door unless you're 9 feet tall. But I know what you mean about hitting your head on a truck cap door. I had a cap years ago on my GMC where the door was just barely above eye level.

Techguy2000

Reaction score
Any chance you can post a pic of the rear with the door open? I'm curious how high the rear door opens on these, I've hit my head 100 times on my old topper getting out of my bed, but it only opens to about parallel with the ground. Hoping these open a little higher....
Here you go, with my lift (see sig) I have about 3 inches before I hit, and I'm 6'2".

Attachments

• 20210429_093608.jpg
    20210429_093608.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 25

Users who are viewing this thread