5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RamBoxes: Yes or No

NJMonark

Reaction score
RamBox option was a must have for me when I was looking for my truck. I felt the bed space in front of the wheel wells is mostly wasted, and use them for groceries, tools, bike accessories, etc. I just installed new tires (33x12.5R22 & 33x12.5R18 on the spare rim) and I'm looking to get a bottle jack. RamBox will be perfect storage for that.

Maxum

Reaction score
Hate them. I prefer as much room in the bed where it belongs. But to each their own, i can see how they would be handy for some.

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
RamBox option was a must have for me when I was looking for my truck. I felt the bed space in front of the wheel wells is mostly wasted, and use them for groceries, tools, bike accessories, etc. I just installed new tires (33x12.5R22 & 33x12.5R18 on the spare rim) and I'm looking to get a bottle jack. RamBox will be perfect storage for that.
my ram boxes are legit … i have spare chains
some power tools and battery air compressor with lots of ratchet straps different sizes

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Not a fan of how narrow the bed is with Ram boxes. Also, as a quad cab aficionado, Ram boxes aren't an option for the 6.4 bed

OldCheyenne

Reaction score
I had a 2003 Avalanche which I bought new in 2003. Just sold it this year. It had the original version of the Ramboxes, though quite a bit smaller. Talk to anyone that owned an Avalanche and they will more than likely tell you 1000 ways they used these boxes built into the truck walls. (tow ropes, jumper cables, tire jacks, tire chains, food, fire extinguishers, first aid kits, air compressors, tools etc.) The reason I bought a RAM was the Ramboxes, MFT, Headsup display and 360 camera view. Would have bought another Avalanche if GM was smart enough to still make them. Oh and the AV came standard with hard tonneau covers that were water tight. I'll bet there are many ex-AV owners that have bought RAM trucks with the Ramboxes. The amount of space lost in the truck bed will only effect select uses of the bed, which probably will not apply to 90% of owners. It will not effect hauling of lumber, 4x8 sheets or ATVs.

llando88

Reaction score
On a new "build" truck...absolutely I would get them.

I had them on my '16 2500 Laramie, and boy did they come in handy (I travel trailer a lot, around the country). I had the right side for RV stuff, connection items, etc. and the left for GP tools and such like. I did not have a cap or cover on the bed, and rarely used it unless Mrs. wanted to put her bike back there. That's about it. I had no misalignment or leaks in 48K miles before we sold the truck in 2018.

For my new to me 2021 Ram 1500 we bought in November, it did not come with Ramboxes, but I was ok with that. I've put most of the RV stuff into the trailer outside storage, and the few tools I need now are in a small tote in the passenger side, rear, under the seat. Not nearly as convenient, but it works.

Jako

Reaction score
I had a 2003 Avalanche which I bought new in 2003. Just sold it this year. It had the original version of the Ramboxes, though quite a bit smaller. Talk to anyone that owned an Avalanche and they will more than likely tell you 1000 ways they used these boxes built into the truck walls. (tow ropes, jumper cables, tire jacks, tire chains, food, fire extinguishers, first aid kits, air compressors, tools etc.) The reason I bought a RAM was the Ramboxes, MFT, Headsup display and 360 camera view. Would have bought another Avalanche if GM was smart enough to still make them. Oh and the AV came standard with hard tonneau covers that were water tight. I'll bet there are many ex-AV owners that have bought RAM trucks with the Ramboxes. The amount of space lost in the truck bed will only effect select uses of the bed, which probably will not apply to 90% of owners. It will not effect hauling of lumber, 4x8 sheets or ATVs.
How do you rate the Ram boxes as far as security?
On another note:
Ram boxes are great but an issue for a hoarder.
1639836875787.jpeg

OldCheyenne

Reaction score
How do you rate the Ram boxes as far as security?
On another note:
Ram boxes are great but an issue for a hoarder.
View attachment 114126
On the RAM the Ramboxes lock automatically with the door locks. You have to unlock the doors to unlock the ramboxes. (you can also use the physical key to manually unlock them). This is different than the tailgate. The tailgate unlocks automatically if you have the key fob in your pocket. The ramboxes do not unlock automatically with the key fob in your pocket like the tailgate. Either unlock the doors by putting your hand in the driver/passenger door handle or use the key fob to unlock all the doors, which will include the tailgate and the ramboxes.

As far as how hard it would be to break into the ramboxes I would imagine you could do it with a crowbar with out much trouble. One question that would be interesting to know an answer to is; "would forcing open locked ramboxes set off the alarm?" Maybe some one from RAM or a member would know the answer to that question. If the answer to that is yes, then the rambox security would be better than a normal tool box in the truck bed. I think I'll start a thread on that and see if someone knows the answer. I don't want to test it for an answer!

Marusho

Reaction score
Are they worth $1,000?

For those of you that have them, do you have alignment issues, watertight issues? Other issues/likes. I know they impact payload and shrink the bed size. Neither would be an issue for me. So would you order them again? I'm a junkie for storage so they have that appeal to me. Would you order them again?

For those that do not have them, do you regret not ordering them?

Thanks
There are exactly as many reasons to get them as to avoid them. I put mine to good use, the most important of which is looking sexy, but even so I regret getting them. I have condemned myself and future owners to never being able to install a cap, a camper, a hard shell tonneau, most ladder racks, stake accessories, etc. Besides, they don't tell you they are plastic and you'd best not clamor over them by stepping on the tire, as was my habit.

Tinman 454

Reaction score
I find my ram boxes very handy, have had no issues i duck hunt and fish a lot and always was losing or misplacing straps ect now I just pull up and open the ram box and throw everything in. everyone knows just throw it in the ram box lol haven‘t lost or had too look for something in a long time. Oh they carry theses perfect too. 46039D4C-4BF2-4B69-AC56-D5484412CBE2.jpeg

Scram1500

Reaction score
I find my ram boxes very handy, have had no issues i duck hunt and fish a lot and always was losing or misplacing straps ect now I just pull up and open the ram box and throw everything in. everyone knows just throw it in the ram box lol haven‘t lost or had too look for something in a long time. Oh they carry theses perfect too. View attachment 114171
Does beer make you smart?

It made Bud wiser

Users who are viewing this thread