5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rambox Truxedo Soft Tonneau installed

Zinger

Reaction score
Truxedo Truxsport soft tonneau. Easy installation, it uses the Rambox rails as the main connection points, which is nice.

My only dislike is I can tell it's going to leak. There is no way the seals along the edge of the bed won't let water in. I'm also not enamored with the tailgate interface of the cover. For $300 it will work fine for what I want it for, though I'm wondering if the Mopar options do a better job of addressing these issues.

Attachments

• IMG_20181209_133838380_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20181209_133838380_HDR.jpg
    788.6 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_20181209_133848838_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20181209_133848838_HDR.jpg
    883.6 KB · Views: 282
  • IMG_20181209_133901843.jpg
    IMG_20181209_133901843.jpg
    780.9 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_20181209_133920264_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20181209_133920264_HDR.jpg
    645.1 KB · Views: 263

vtn54

Reaction score
Truxedo Truxsport soft tonneau. Easy installation, it uses the Rambox rails as the main connection points, which is nice.

My only dislike is I can tell it's going to leak. There is no way the seals along the edge of the bed won't let water in. I'm also not enamored with the tailgate interface of the cover. For $300 it will work fine for what I want it for, though I'm wondering if the Mopar options do a better job of addressing these issues.

Just purchased and installed the exact cover as above. Great cover. The issue, as stated, is the tailgate with the rambox is flawed as it leaves 1/2" gap. No tonneau cover will cover it.

The vehicles value greatly diminished for those who need/want a cover to protect cargo (suitcases, groceries, purchases) in transit as the gap allows water/snow into the bed between rambox and tailgate. Major miss by RAM and if I had to do over, would look to a different manufacturer for a truck (as the rambox was a differentiator in decision purchase).

vtn54

Reaction score
Just purchased and installed the exact cover as above. Great cover. The issue, as stated, is the tailgate with the rambox is flawed as it leaves 1/2" gap. No tonneau cover will cover it.

The vehicles value greatly diminished for those who need/want a cover to protect cargo (suitcases, groceries, purchases) in transit as the gap allows water/snow into the bed between rambox and tailgate. Major miss by RAM and if I had to do over, would look to a different manufacturer for a truck (as the rambox was a differentiator in decision purchase).

Attached are two pics of the gap. The direct view down is the light test in daylight. You can see the light from the flashlight.

Attachments

• IMG_7093.jpg
    IMG_7093.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 119
  • IMG_7090.jpg
    IMG_7090.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 117

Falv125

Reaction score
Just picked up my truck with rambox the other day. Any fixes for this gap issue yet? I was going to just try some weather striping.

Zinger

Reaction score
Just picked up my truck with rambox the other day. Any fixes for this gap issue yet? I was going to just try some weather striping.

I think Truxedo might be including foam blocks now to fill the gap, at least that's what I saw on some other posts. You'd have to email them to confirm.

What I did was buy two types of foam weather stripping to fill the gap. I'll get you a picture. Water tight enough at this point for my needs.

Adub

Reaction score
I picked up a truxedo lo Pro. I have a factory drop liner. The side rails will not go in. I contacted the manufacturer. That said the bed liner is the issue. I am going on vacation. I didn’t have much time to customize the bed liner. I had to remove the piece off the tailgate to get rails on. I am disappointed it didn’t just fit like it did on my 17. I recommend getting a spray in over the Drop in if you can. I am also bothered by the gap ram has in the tailgate. Water and dust come in. Truxedo did sent some seals I am going to install to see if this cuts down in the dust and water.

Adub

Reaction score
here's the back of my Truck after driving around for a few days. i think its coming from this gap. My 2017 did not do this! how can I stop it? 27833
img-8123-jpg.27832

Attachments

• IMG-8123.JPG
    IMG-8123.JPG
    161.1 KB · Views: 199

Redfour5

Reaction score
Attached are two pics of the gap. The direct view down is the light test in daylight. You can see the light from the flashlight.
Interesting. I put mine on about three weeks ago and they sent two pieces of the taped rubber designed to fit that area perfectly. I can't speak to how long they will last, but they do fill the gap almost perfect.

Redfour5

Reaction score
here's the back of my Truck after driving around for a few days. i think its coming from this gap. My 2017 did not do this! how can I stop it? View attachment 27833
img-8123-jpg.27832
I got the expanding weather stripping https://www.homedepot.com/p/M-D-Bui...-Expandable-Foam-Weatherstrip-52052/311332303 It worked great AND you can put it over the pre-installed tape from Truxedo. You gotta move fast as it expands quickly once on, but it stopped my leaks. My biggest problem was the pre-installed tape across the front by the cab. It was like quarter inch and had a good half inch gap. I got this stuff or another brand and cut it and taped it across the front piece and voila perfect seal. I also used the stuff in a couple of other places. Once I had the top on I shut it and looked from the back for light. I taped a coople pieces in and it is flat dark inside and I went through a car wash and had one good rainstorm and have been pleasantly surprised. Slight bit of water at tailgate end but going straight to the edge and out not standing water.

Redfour5

Reaction score

Redfour5

Reaction score
I picked up a truxedo lo Pro. I have a factory drop liner. The side rails will not go in. I contacted the manufacturer. That said the bed liner is the issue. I am going on vacation. I didn’t have much time to customize the bed liner. I had to remove the piece off the tailgate to get rails on. I am disappointed it didn’t just fit like it did on my 17. I recommend getting a spray in over the Drop in if you can. I am also bothered by the gap ram has in the tailgate. Water and dust come in. Truxedo did sent some seals I am going to install to see if this cuts down in the dust and water.
Yes on the spray in.

Redfour5

Reaction score

I loved the way it slid on and only used the back tighteners as they design is NOT going to let it fly off. One side of mine across the side is tight while the other has a slight gap where the top is supposed to sit along the top of the side. I took a close look at it though and on the inside it also is up against the edge of the truck. I took it through a car wash and we had a hard rain and no leak. Can't speak to a few years down the road, but OK now.

Redfour5

Reaction score

As I noted, they sent me two specific pieces for that like two or three inch gap in the back. They were similar to this https://www.etrailer.com/Accessorie...m=4577129469218094&utm_content=Tonneau Covers

But the ones they sent were "fatter" across the corner. But looks like this might work also.

Users who are viewing this thread