5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rambox tonneau cover

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new here - just ordered my first ever Ram. Super excited about it. I know there have been several threads on this topic, but wanted to see if there is any fresh input.

I ordered the Ramboxes with the bed utility group. I want to add a tonneau to it. I want a roll up cover that seals reasonably well. I'm looking at the Truxedo Sentry CT. I like the hard slats, more for the lack of wind flapping than for the added security. I read elsewhere that you have to open the tonneau to close the tailgate, which sounds like a pain. If that is the case, I'm thinking of going with a regular Truxedo rollup cover instead, but I'm wondering if those are the same way? If so, I might just go with an Access rollup cover, as I have had good luck with those on my other trucks. My only hangup with the Access is the way it mounts narrows the utility rails, for which I had considered buying the Mopar sliding toolbox. So that's not ideal either. I would consider the Bak Revolver, but a buddy had one and said it didn't seal well at all, with a lot of water infiltration. So basically all of my options have at least one drawback.

If anyone has any input on the above, please chime in. Or if there are other brands that check all or most of my boxes, I'd love to hear about that as well. Thanks!

carbonfold

Reaction score
My last three trucks have some type of flip down hard tonneau. Personally I find having to lift the top prior to shutting the tailgate is second nature and not a deal breaker. It helps with not peeling back the seal and insures a better seal. So, my only input is that don't let that sway you from which tonneau you really want.

Reaction score
hey guys, has anyone noticed the gap between the tailgate and the top of the fenders so that things get in the bed even with the tonneau closed?

mac-oly

Reaction score
I have the Truxedo Sentry CT and I'm pretty happy with it. I have Ramboxes and the MFT. After experimenting with some extra foam/rubber weather stripping, it's about 98% weatherproof. It held up great to the 10-12 inches of snow we got recently, too. You do have to pop the tonneau up a little to close the tailgate, but it's not a pain and has just become second nature to me.
PXL_20211118_215421859.MP.jpg

Thekidcasual

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new here - just ordered my first ever Ram. Super excited about it. I know there have been several threads on this topic, but wanted to see if there is any fresh input.

I ordered the Ramboxes with the bed utility group. I want to add a tonneau to it. I want a roll up cover that seals reasonably well. I'm looking at the Truxedo Sentry CT. I like the hard slats, more for the lack of wind flapping than for the added security. I read elsewhere that you have to open the tonneau to close the tailgate, which sounds like a pain. If that is the case, I'm thinking of going with a regular Truxedo rollup cover instead, but I'm wondering if those are the same way? If so, I might just go with an Access rollup cover, as I have had good luck with those on my other trucks. My only hangup with the Access is the way it mounts narrows the utility rails, for which I had considered buying the Mopar sliding toolbox. So that's not ideal either. I would consider the Bak Revolver, but a buddy had one and said it didn't seal well at all, with a lot of water infiltration. So basically all of my options have at least one drawback.

If anyone has any input on the above, please chime in. Or if there are other brands that check all or most of my boxes, I'd love to hear about that as well. Thanks!
I don’t have to open th cover to close th tailgate it closes just fine

hard12catch33

Reaction score
Still interested in a tonneau? I have a Revolver x4s brand new in the box in my garage. My 2020 1500 was just totaled out and I ended up leasing a Durango until trucks get back on the lots. If you pay for shipping, I'd be willing to sell it for $600.....

1642508559714.png

greenlawnracing

Reaction score
I have a Sentry CT. MFT, no ram boxes

been happy, it makes a little noise you can hear when the back window is open. As others said, opening and closing to close the tailgate becomes second nature. Hasn’t seen a lot of rain, but water ingress was minimal

sefar

Reaction score
I went with RollnLock, not a lot of options for Rambox and multifunction tailgate. Have had it on for over a year, no complaints. I did the install alone and it was about a 3 wrench our of 5 rating for difficulty.

ss69camaro

Reaction score
Still interested in a tonneau? I have a Revolver x4s brand new in the box in my garage. My 2020 1500 was just totaled out and I ended up leasing a Durango until trucks get back on the lots. If you pay for shipping, I'd be willing to sell it for $600.....

View attachment 117488
I’d give you 500+ shipping if you are interested

Yangster

Reaction score
I have the American Roll Cover by Truckcovers USA. I love it and it works perfectly with my Ramboxes and MFT. Check them out. They also have one that incorporates a tool box.

Reaction score
I have the Truxedo Sentry CT and I'm pretty happy with it. I have Ramboxes and the MFT. After experimenting with some extra foam/rubber weather stripping, it's about 98% weatherproof. It held up great to the 10-12 inches of snow we got recently, too. You do have to pop the tonneau up a little to close the tailgate, but it's not a pain and has just become second nature to me.
View attachment 117480
Thank you. One question - is the flap I can see hanging over the lip of the tailgate part of the tonneau or something that you added? Also I'd be curious to see what you used for weatherstripping and where you put it to make the bed so weatherproof.

greenlawnracing

Reaction score
Thank you. One question - is the flap I can see hanging over the lip of the tailgate part of the tonneau or something that you added? Also I'd be curious to see what you used for weatherstripping and where you put it to make the bed so weatherproof.
That is part of it. Mine has it as well

RickWaz

Reaction score

VERY happy with my RetraxPRO MX 80244 Tonneau Cover. Seals well, can open/close tailgate w/ the tonneau cover open or closed, solid construction, great warranty, lockable in any position.

Reaction score
So how do you order since the website listed is down?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I am sorry I never saw this post.

You can order via PayPal or Venmo. What would you prefer?

I have a Facebook group called RamSeal also to see videos.

Website should be up any day now.

theonlyMcG

Reaction score
I finally updated my setup and wanted to show what I did. I couldn't find the exact setup I wanted so I just pieced it together. I wanted a retractable tonneau cover with the T slot rails built in so I could mount crossbars for bikes/skis/etc. The problem is there are not a lot of options for that if you have the Rambox option.

I ended up with:
Gator Gatortrax cover
Rhino Rack RT style rivet mount tracks - 58" long
Rhino Rack Quick Mount Legs for Vortex bars
Rhino Rack Vortex bars - 49" long

This setup is easy to take on and off and the 49" bars are the perfect length where I can still open the Ramboxes fully. The Gator cover also has a perfect space for attaching the tracks to so that I riveted to the tonneau cover and not the actual truck so I didn't have to drill any holes in the truck.

Attachments

• PXL_20220622_203339522.jpg
    PXL_20220622_203339522.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 87
  • PXL_20220622_203348184.jpg
    PXL_20220622_203348184.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 81
  • PXL_20220622_203404727.jpg
    PXL_20220622_203404727.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 80
  • PXL_20220622_204607152.jpg
    PXL_20220622_204607152.jpg