5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rambox or not?

Apexcars

Reaction score
Has anyone had rambox on a 4th gen 6’4 bed and gone to a 5th gen 5’7 ram box? Wonder if you still like it or would wait for a 5th gen 1500 6’4 rambox
I had them on my 14 with 6' 4" bed and now on my 20 with 5'7" bed. I liked having the longer bed and the longer Ram Boxes but I got tired of waiting for them to come out with the long bed. My shotguns still fit, even my clays gun with lengthened stock and 30" barrels, so I'm happy enough and the truck is a little easier to maneuver through parking lots.

Apexcars

Reaction score
Also just having somewhere to put things where they can't be seen really helps with theft. I had a friend whose truck along with several others got broken into at a motel one night. The guy next to him had a hard tonneau cover. The thieves broke into the cabs of trucks and stole everything of value from there but they never forced open the tonneau cover. That guy lost a few hundred dollars of belonging but they never touched the $8000 worth of cases of whiskey he was transporting in the bed because they didn't know it was there.

chrisnack

Reaction score
It would have been nice to have, but i wasn't going to give up other items. Or i noticed it was a $4k jump to get them, as the only limited trucks with my same options, that had RAMbox, then had the 22" wheels, which i didn't want or want to pay for, and a few other things. I also don't have the sunroof, which i never use, so never bother with those.

I do love the MFT, i also had a couple Ridgeline's in the past, so you get used to being able to access the bed that way, it's great and ergonomic. I use a Retrax Pro XR Tonneau, so i just have a big Dewalt toolbox with all my tools in it and it's secured in the bed underneath the aluminum cover.

thebluegoat

Reaction score
I had them on my 14 with 6' 4" bed and now on my 20 with 5'7" bed. I liked having the longer bed and the longer Ram Boxes but I got tired of waiting for them to come out with the long bed. My shotguns still fit, even my clays gun with lengthened stock and 30" barrels, so I'm happy enough and the truck is a little easier to maneuver through parking lots.
Thanks for answering that question. I’m hoping by the time I’m ready to get a new one they have the 6’4 rambox back on the 1500

drak1071

Reaction score
I went back and forth on them and almost purchased without due to the lack of availability in my area but ultimately found one with them + all the other options I wanted and purchased. They've been amazing and have used them to store tools, transport firearms, coolers while camping or tailgating, place to hold ratchet straps/moving blankets, store groceries, etc. If you're on the fence - do it.

NewTruckWhoDis

Reaction score
If I had to do it all over again, I probably would have gone without the ramboxes. They are nice, but I don't get much use out of them. Maybe as the kiddo gets bigger, and starts doing sports or whatever, they will get more use. It also would have been nice to have more (any) options for roll bars, or bed racks.
The MFT is a must have though, for sure.

TVANVA

Reaction score
I ordered my truck and endured the three month wait so I could get RAM Boxes on a 1500 without all the extras I wouldn't use.

I use them regularly to store all the stuff that I used to store in the cab like tie downs, hitch receivers, hand tools, etc. It keeps the cab quieter since I can't hear things rattling in the RAM Boxes (a little scrap carpet helps), and much easier eye level access compared to fishing under the seats for what I need.

It fits my chain saw and kit nicely, and keeps the fumes, chain oil, and sawdust out of the truck, without the opportunity to roll around and scratch something like it would if I just left it in the bed.

The boxes lock when I lock the truck. A determined person could pry them open with a flat bar, but I don't keep anything of extraordinary value in them.

The loss of space in the bed really wasn't usable space for what i haul, and sheets of plywood fit just fine in the bed.

Yes, the fit to the fenders is not perfect and you can see some waves in the covers if you look just right, but I mainly use my truck as a, ...... well,......truck, so it doesn't bother me much.

I would absolutely buy the RAM Box option again.

revvr

Reaction score
Late to the party, but will chime in. I'm less than a week in with my new Rebel and I already wish I did not get the Ramboxes. It is a cool idea on paper and do have functionality, but they make virtually every aftermarket bed accessory incompatible. Seems like nobody likes to build aftermarket parts for the Rambox variation. Also, not even Mopar can get it right. Accessories that are listed as compatible with Ramboxes in Mopar's website are not compatible. If you do get Ramboxes and order stuff from Mopar online, make sure you select delivery to the dealer. They can return stuff for you, particularly if you're ordering larger things (drop in liner, bed mat, etc.)

Overall, I like them and use them, but if I had to do it all over again I would probably go without them. The bowing that happens wiith the boxes is significant enough to notice, but I don't really mind it to be honest.

CJR28

Reaction score
Late to the party, but will chime in. I'm less than a week in with my new Rebel and I already wish I did not get the Ramboxes. It is a cool idea on paper and do have functionality, but they make virtually every aftermarket bed accessory incompatible. Seems like nobody likes to build aftermarket parts for the Rambox variation. Also, not even Mopar can get it right. Accessories that are listed as compatible with Ramboxes in Mopar's website are not compatible. If you do get Ramboxes and order stuff from Mopar online, make sure you select delivery to the dealer. They can return stuff for you, particularly if you're ordering larger things (drop in liner, bed mat, etc.)

Overall, I like them and use them, but if I had to do it all over again I would probably go without them. The bowing that happens wiith the boxes is significant enough to notice, but I don't really mind it to be honest.
Yeah it can be a pain finding a proper bed cover but the bakflip mx4 fits quite well. Overall i am beyond happy with my ramboxes and regret not having them sooner. All of the tools i need for small jobs fit perfectly in one side and i can charge batteries while driving using the outlet. My rifles and shotguns fit perfectly in the other side and i can still fit several boxes of shells. I will never own another truck without them needless to say.
EDIT: And with the tailgate down i can still fit my atv which is huge IMO

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I have Ramboxes with a Retrax cover, and have the bed rail package and divider. You definitely have options for accessories. The options are less, but they are out there.

3088221a7846a84329bb669d693c99a7.jpg

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Those boxes were the one option I went back and forth when I found my truck - it had everything else I wanted.
Instead of searching more (had already been a long search) I settled for no boxes.

I won’t say I miss them, but I do look at other trucks that have them when they go by....

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Those boxes were the one option I went back and forth when I found my truck - it had everything else I wanted.
Instead of searching more (had already been a long search) I settled for no boxes.

I won’t say I miss them, but I do look at other trucks that have them when they go by....
That's how I was with my last truck, so I swore to myself that my next truck would have them. After a full year of ownership I haven't changed my mind on that. I love having them, I just wish the fitment was better. Soulsea, the cargo pants comment definitely on point LOL.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Still love them. Wish my 14 had them or I might of kept it. For years every time I seen a ram w/ Rambox I always regretted that I didn’t wait and buy one with them. For awhile I would always keep an eye on how much space I was typically using and turns out I don’t think I’ve ever loaded something over the fenders to miss the extra space the boxes take up. So the boxes were an absolutely must on the new truck. I use them multiple times a day grabbing tools and gear for work as I need it instead of always having to climb into the bed (no bedstep on old truck) and go through my toolbox.

TBMSport

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Love mine. It was one of the MUST have's I spec'd out and one of the primary reasons I had to pass on the TRX. As others have stated, I hate the fact that they looked warped at the ends and disrupt the level line of the sheetmetal bed, but form follows function, right? I didn't like giving up so much room in the bed, but the main reason I bought them was to act as my 'dirty laundry' box. Small, smelly, oily, whatever-I-don't-want-in-the-cab-or-sliding-around-in-back stuff goes in there. Or rarely used but important to have emergency gear like reflective vests, blue shop towel rolls, WD40, car detailing stuff, extra pair of pants/shoes/shirts, work gloves/latex gloves, etc. So needless to say, a thief will be highly disappointed if he breaks into my Rambox.

Walywrld1

Reaction score
The Ramboxes and the MFT were must haves for me when buying my truck. Didn’t really know how nice the Ramboxes were and am absolutely glad I have them. My golf clubs, golf balls, golf shoes, etc, have a “home” without having to have an aftermarket tool box or always sitting on the floor in the back seat. You really do not give up any really usable space in the bed, in my opinion. Get them, I don’t believe you will regret it for one minute.

As for the MFT, I have not used it as a “traditional” tailgate at all. Being able to access the bed w/o having to reach over the tailgate is great.

Users who are viewing this thread