5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rambox or not?

MarioNYC

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I am still planning buy Ram and first option in my mind was only with Ramboxes but now I am thinking if really I need them. Definitely I want Multitaligate because from practice my Honda Ridgeline I know it is usable but Ram Boxes not sure now.
Honda has also under trunk “secretly” box and be honest I opened that maybe 5 times around 6 years I have that truck.

Waiting for your opinions/advices like RAM users (or not) about all pros and cons having RamBoxes

Thanks
Mario

Barnyard

Reaction score
I love mine. Very useful, from groceries, to takeout, to tools. I use them a lot. Some people will complain about the alignment/warpage issues, but it's really not that bad. Ultimately it's your truck, so don't let others' opinions cloud your decision

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

MarioNYC

Reaction score
I guess it depends on how you use your truck. I have them and love them. I use them a lot when I’m traveling towing a boat.
But they taking some capacity of cargo space so maybe it’s better instal one/two inside boxes and all will covered.
Also I am curious if thieves not interesting open them. How strong is lock?
Thanks

Barnyard

Reaction score
If a thief wants to get your stuff, no lock will stop them, just like the doors. It's just sheet just and plastic

MarioNYC

Reaction score
If a thief wants to get your stuff, no lock will stop them, just like the doors. It's just sheet just and plastic

That’s true. But from experience (Honda Ridgeline factory no lockable tailgate) the cops told me why I left my tools there. I should not leave anything in truck if I don’t want have risky be stolen. It’s kind of upset because I would like keep my tools in this RamBoxes. I am kind of confused because I would like have them but I am not sure if really I need them. LoL

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
But they taking some capacity of cargo space so maybe it’s better instal one/two inside boxes and all will covered.
Also I am curious if thieves not interesting open them. How strong is lock?
Thanks
They take up very little "useful" cargo space. The bottom of the RamBox bed is actually (very) slightly wider than the non-RamBox bed (between the wheelwells). And if you have the divider that comes with the RamBox and Bed Utility Group, the RamBox bed has ridges all the way from front to back, enabling you to wedge the divider in very securely (i.e. much stronger than hanging from rails) at any point along the bed. All in all, there are few downsides to having lockable storage with 110V power, lighting, and even drain plugs for use as a cooler!

stevestrike

Reaction score
I'm not super happy with the alignment issues Ram has had with the Ramboxes, but I do use mine every single day. Tools, groceries, spare shoes/clothing and a few towels, a couple tarps, straps, a fishing pole, what else?

thebluegoat

Reaction score
Has anyone had rambox on a 4th gen 6’4 bed and gone to a 5th gen 5’7 ram box? Wonder if you still like it or would wait for a 5th gen 1500 6’4 rambox

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Very few people with the rambox option ever post anything saying they would not get them again, or don't use them. There are a few, but the vast majority of people really like them. Myself included. As long as they are available, I will not buy a Ram truck without the option. And I agree with SpeedyV about the usefulness of the divider too.

stevestrike

Reaction score
I would love a fix for how ****ty these things look though. Anyone made any progress on that piece?

alamgirian6329

Reaction score
To each their own - When I ordered my truck, I did NOT choose the Rambox option. Even though I dont use bed for max loading, just looking at the beds with and without ramboxes - side by side, as I did at the dealer, its more than "marginal difference" at least to me.

Sure the lockable storage is a plus, but then I didnt want a key other than my keyfob. I have plenty of space in my crew-cab if I need to keep something locked/safe. Again, sure it will be convenient to have rear lockable space, but then I would have ordered an SUV. Plus I didnt want alignment issues etc.

I do however miss a solid Cargo Divider solution in my non-rambox bed - which is a great plus for Ramboxes !

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They were the first most important option for me when buying my new Ram. In fact, I had been focused largely on going away from a truck on this purchase and into a SUV and the Ramboxes convinced me to stay in a truck. I have three young boys and simply couldn’t store anything inside my truck without it getting stomped on by children. I ended up with a front passenger seat full of my belongings. Those things (hunting gear, groceries, etc) easily fit within the Rambox, are secure, and safe from water ingress. The boxes are much more easily accessible than the bed space for storage, and I have plenty of bed space for my personal needs when transporting items or yard waste.

Your results may vary, but for me, the Ramboxes were a major sway towards a Ram truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/