5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RamBox Listings

xraymikey

Reaction score
Unfortunately mine is a Lemon Replacement... MSRP to MSRP from our '16 Sport (thankfully getting almost full MSRP) to this '19 Limited. Just wish SOMEONE could give me any kind of an answer as to why... "should be" and "that's all I have" are not acceptable answers.

Do you mind me asking what kind of issues you had with your '16 Sport ? thanks

Kaz

Reaction score
Do you mind me asking what kind of issues you had with your '16 Sport ? thanks

Its on its third transmission and keeps having the same issues; truck only has 25k miles on it now. Started around 7500 miles when they did a PCM reprogram as part of a TSB or something. It downshifts into 1st before coming to a complete stop, and it feels like someone ran into the back of you. It also upshifts abruptly under acceleration; wife would be slowing down on the highway in rush hour traffic, get down into the teens, and then get on the throttle to accelerate with traffic. Truck would start to accelerate, then abruptly upshift a gear and then apply the throttle... again feeling like someone just ran into the back bumper.

They tried reprogramming it, swapped valve bodies, etc... then replaced the trans the first time at 18k miles after we complained about it shifting hard at 15k miles. 2k miles later the program came back after the transmission was repalced. Reprogram/valve body work, 2k miles later it came back... it spend about 7-9 months in the shop while we were in rentals while they tried to figure it out.

We dropped it off for its second transmission and then a week later they called us back stating they hadn't replaced the transmission but had been directed to do another relearn and valve body or whatever, which made it worse, and was then asking if we wanted to wait on the transmission again (21 day lead time, that we had already just waited for over the month prior) or if we wanted out of the truck. We elected to get out of the truck; mind you this was offered back in February 2018; and our replacement 2019 is just NOW being built... So yeah...

They kept commenting about the transmission being adaptive and learning and that it had to be our driving. I laughed at them and said none of the rentals they put us in ever downshifted or upshifted hard like ours did. Not one truck or other FCA vehicle I'd driven ever downshifted into first BEFORE it came to a complete stop; most of the time its coasting down in 4th, maybe 3rd... then shifts into 1st following a brief delay after coming to a complete stop. I think it was cursed, who knows.

Otherwise we loved her '16... just wish they could have resolved the issues... not that I'm complaining about the '19 Limited on its way.

xraymikey

Reaction score
Its on its third transmission and keeps having the same issues; truck only has 25k miles on it now. Started around 7500 miles when they did a PCM reprogram as part of a TSB or something. It downshifts into 1st before coming to a complete stop, and it feels like someone ran into the back of you. It also upshifts abruptly under acceleration; wife would be slowing down on the highway in rush hour traffic, get down into the teens, and then get on the throttle to accelerate with traffic. Truck would start to accelerate, then abruptly upshift a gear and then apply the throttle... again feeling like someone just ran into the back bumper.

They tried reprogramming it, swapped valve bodies, etc... then replaced the trans the first time at 18k miles after we complained about it shifting hard at 15k miles. 2k miles later the program came back after the transmission was repalced. Reprogram/valve body work, 2k miles later it came back... it spend about 7-9 months in the shop while we were in rentals while they tried to figure it out.

We dropped it off for its second transmission and then a week later they called us back stating they hadn't replaced the transmission but had been directed to do another relearn and valve body or whatever, which made it worse, and was then asking if we wanted to wait on the transmission again (21 day lead time, that we had already just waited for over the month prior) or if we wanted out of the truck. We elected to get out of the truck; mind you this was offered back in February 2018; and our replacement 2019 is just NOW being built... So yeah...

They kept commenting about the transmission being adaptive and learning and that it had to be our driving. I laughed at them and said none of the rentals they put us in ever downshifted or upshifted hard like ours did. Not one truck or other FCA vehicle I'd driven ever downshifted into first BEFORE it came to a complete stop; most of the time its coasting down in 4th, maybe 3rd... then shifts into 1st following a brief delay after coming to a complete stop. I think it was cursed, who knows.

Otherwise we loved her '16... just wish they could have resolved the issues... not that I'm complaining about the '19 Limited on its way.

KAZ , Thank you so much!

Thanks for all the detail on the transmission problems of your 2016, sorry that happened to ya.

I was wondering because I have never had a RAM truck and am looking at probably picking a 2019 up next Spring or Summer (2019). By then I guess the 2020 models will be out.

I am glad that FCA bought your 2016 Sport back and they are applying the value towards your 2019 RAM.

I am leaning towards a Larimine or Longhorn , Etorque 5.7 w/ Rambox. ( I really like the Rambox idea and how it doesn't take up that much space in the bed and would be perfect for Groceries , Camping gear, Kid gear , and extra truck stuff jumper cables etc.. )

Sorry for the Late reply , got busy with the kids and our pups this weekend.

KAZ thanks for all the info !

Hope you get your 2019 RAM soon!!!!

Kaz

Reaction score
KAZ , Thank you so much!

KAZ thanks for all the info !

Hope you get your 2019 RAM soon!!!!

No worries; we loved our '16 Ram, just wish it didn't have problems.

Lots of people think the RamBox is a bit gimmicky, but once you've used one, you'll most likely never go back... they're so adaptable and you lose very little bed storage in the process.

Hit me up if you have any other questions.

Jpell651

Reaction score
No worries; we loved our '16 Ram, just wish it didn't have problems.

Lots of people think the RamBox is a bit gimmicky, but once you've used one, you'll most likely never go back... they're so adaptable and you lose very little bed storage in the process.

Hit me up if you have any other questions.
Thanks for the feedback on the Rambox, I am waiting out an order because of it, but it seems like a cool option for tailgating and hunting among other things. This is my first truck in over 20 years, I’m expecting something a bit more capable than my Mitsubishi Mighty Max, lol

Kaz

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback on the Rambox, I am waiting out an order because of it, but it seems like a cool option for tailgating and hunting among other things. This is my first truck in over 20 years, I’m expecting something a bit more capable than my Mitsubishi Mighty Max, lol

There are a variety of uses! We use them for groceries, chilled beverages, hiding christmas presents during transport, tools we carry constantly (ratchet straps, tie downs, etc). Uses are endless. GM at the local dealer told me the other day he stores his shotguns in them when he goes hunting... and the pull tags inside are glow in the dark, so clearly someone assumed you could fit a tiny human in there!

Jaysond

Reaction score
The belief is that won't happen until the new HD trucks are released and the Ramboxes become available on those, which of course have 6'4" beds...

Sure, that would make sense I guess.

A buddy just sent me this link, apparently I'm not the only one wondering about this, probably gets discussed a lot & I just missed it.

https://5thgenrams.com/2019-ram-rambox/

Last edited:

Jaysond

Reaction score
Reactions: Kaz

Kaz

Reaction score
Wow, $211,740, hope you were able to talk them down a little or at least throw in mud flaps or something :eek:

Beautiful truck, I wanted Granite but dealer had mine on the lot in white & I wasn't against white (stays clean easy) so I went for it, but I still think Granite is Chrysler's best color.

Yeah wife fell in love with the granite when we went truck shopping back in 2016. They had a truck on the showroom floor in Granite that we almost bought but I showed her the Ramboxes on a limited out in the lot and she said those were a must so we had to go find it. Thankfully it wasn’t too far (250+ miles away but still in Texas). When they finally ruled it a Lemon earlier this year they promised her her truck or better, so we ordered a Limited optioned more or less the same way (obviously more but you get what I mean). Should be arriving in a week or so... currently on a train passing through Ohio according to tracking.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here it is the end of January 2019, the introduction of the 2019 HD Rams has come and gone, and still no word on the availability of 6'4" Ram Box option on the 2019 1500s. Does anyone know of any updates on this, or maybe know someone who might have insider information?

I know the speculation last summer/fall (2018) was that once the 2019 HDs were introduced, the 6'4" Ram Box for 1500s would quickly follow. But when you look at the difference in sheetmetal design of the bed sides of the 2019 HDs vs the 2019 1500s, there is no way the 2019 HD 6'4" Ram Box will fit the curvature (or lack thereof) of the bed sides on the 1500. The 2019 HDs have the same subtle arc in their fender lines that the Gen-4 Rams had, whereas the 2019 1500s have a straight, horizontal fender line.

Any info anyone might have regarding availability of the 6'4" Ram Box on the 2019 1500, would be greatly appreciated.

(PS: I also posted this today in the Disqus comments following what I think was Jared's most recent article on the Ram Box issue: https://5thgenrams.com/2019-ram-rambox/ which was back on July 31, 2018)

Users who are viewing this thread