5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rambox electric question

arizonapaul

Reaction score
Probably a stupid question, but does the truck have to be running in order to use the 110 outlet inside the rambox. I am assuming it does in order to not drain the battery.

kurtdoten

Reaction score
Probably a stupid question, but does the truck have to be running in order to use the 110 outlet inside the rambox. I am assuming it does in order to not drain the battery.

According to the owner's manual the ignition must be in either ACC or ON/RUN for the inverter to work.

JV77

Reaction score
Yes, it will drain the battery if the truck is not running. How quickly it drains the battery depends on what you plug in.

kurtdoten

Reaction score
But won't this drain the battery if the truck is not running.

There are limits to what you can plug in though. Read the owner's manual for the rating limitations and compare that to what you want to power.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Of course it will drain the battery. The energy must come from somewhere! The battery is recharged when the truck is running. You can display the battery voltage on the "Vehicle Info" screen on the dash. I would start the truck if the voltage goes below 11.8v. Otherwise it may not start if it drains down any further.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If the 12V goes dead, would an eTorque truck crank and start on the 48V battery?

Chris

Reaction score
If the 12V goes dead, would an eTorque truck crank and start on the 48V battery?
No, since the starter runs purely off the 12v system and the 48v-12v converter does not have the instant amp capacity of the 12v battery.

However, it may be possible for the Lithium battery to have enough juice in it to then recharge the 12v battery enough to start the engine, but I have not heard of anyone actually testing this capability yet. I would recommend keeping a 12v jump start pack just in case, of which they are getting cheaper every day as mass production of batteries keep ramping up.

Users who are viewing this thread