5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rambox Bed Rail Color

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have an '09 Dodge Ram 1500 with RamBox. Iy came with the rails. Now when I go to order a '21 w/ RamBox, I can also choose the BUG option. Does it replace the RamBox rails? Or, do I even need the BUG option if I have RamBox?
Unlike the 4th gens, the bed divider doesn't automatically come with the rambox option on 5th gens. If you want the bed divider you will need to either order it separately or get the BUG. At $845, the BUG is a great deal, because the cost of it is less than the cost of just the bed divider alone ($1100). Plus it gives you the deployable bed step ($345), spray-in bed liner ($500), and LED bed lighting ($125). You'd easily spend double that if you bought those things separately. I know that you'll get black rails if you get the factory tonneau cover (with or withoug the BUG), and you'll get the silver rails if you don't get the factory cover or the BUG. I'm not sure which rails you get if you get the BUG but not the factory cover.

Even if you get the wrong rails for the cover you want to use, you'll still be ahead if you purchase the rails you need. But you might be able to negotiate the correct rails you'll need when you buy the truck. That's what we did with our Limited. They ordered the silver rails and traded me for the black ones when I swapped them out. No extra charge.

WilburNJ

Reaction score
My 2020 came with the black rails because my truck was optioned with the trifold factory cover. That cover was okay (at best) but obviously offered not much security and limited weather protection. I recently installed the Diamondback HD cover, which sits nicely on the black rails (that are flush with the top of my ramboxes). They sent a pair of aluminum square rods that would rest on top of the silver rails that are more typical.

When investigating which covers work with the black rails, I concluded that only two would work: the diamondback (because it sits on top of the black rails) and the American Roll Cover (by Truck Covers USA), which requires you to remove the existing rails and install rails that they provide. The American Roll Cover is a really nice looking retractable cover that can hold a lot of weight on top (I think 400 lbs). I was torn but went with the Diamondback in the end. They are both pretty pricey ($2K+).

The only other option I had was to replace the black rails with the silver rails, which obviously opens up more alternatives and a lot cheaper than going with either the DB or the Amer Roll Cover.

Good luck!

E20DA659-23FD-4F65-BC97-1F8B6A9D53E5.jpeg F4F44F14-6344-4126-96D8-BEBA04765358.jpeg

Kozmo714

Reaction score
I have a 2020 ram limited with the black rails. I want to trade someone for the silver rails if interested. Call or text me if you are willing to do so. I know the black rails are more money but I don’t care and I’ll trade straight up. Bart - 727-337-0227

Islander

Reaction score
I just ordered a 2021 Bighorn with BUG and Rambox options (no soft tonneau).

Is it safe to assume that I will receive silver bed rails? Asking because I want to order a Bakflip mx4 that requires the silver rails.

Thanks!

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I just ordered a 2021 Bighorn with BUG and Rambox options (no soft tonneau).

Is it safe to assume that I will receive silver bed rails? Asking because I want to order a Bakflip mx4 that requires the silver rails.

Thanks
I think you're safe in assuming you'll be getting silver rails.

slc2020

Reaction score
Does anyone know for certain the OEM part numbers for the Silver Rails? I need to get those to get an aftermarket retractable bedcover--one i already purchased and didn't read the fine print!

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/