5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rambox Bed Rail Color

DavidNJ

Reaction score
In most pictures, the configurator, and the Mopar video below the bed rails with the Rambox are black. It makes sense since the bed with the Rambox is black.

However, every Rambox I've seen at the dealer had clear anodized silver rails. Every non-Rambox bed had black rails.

What color are the rails supposed to be? Is there a way to specify black rails when ordering?

ppowell1983

Reaction score
In most pictures, the configurator, and the Mopar video below the bed rails with the Rambox are black. It makes sense since the bed with the Rambox is black.

However, every Rambox I've seen at the dealer had clear anodized silver rails. Every non-Rambox bed had black rails.

What color are the rails supposed to be? Is there a way to specify black rails when ordering?

If you get a truck that has Rambox and the Mopar trifold bed cover from the factory you get black rails. The height if the black rails are the same as the Rambox, if you don’t have the trifold cover you get the silver rails. Aftermarket bed covers generally don’t work with the black rails so if you ever wanted a different bed cover your options would be severely limited without replacing the rails which is not cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

db682

Reaction score
Mine has Silver Anodized. I've seen alot of these trucks and have never actually since one in person with the black rails.

Kxlexus

Reaction score
Mine had silver rails. It didn’t matter to me what color they were as I installed a BAK Revolver X4 cover. Really like the cover and it was simple to install

DavidNJ

Reaction score
Thanks for clearing that up!

Off course, it makes whether to order the factor tonneau cover a big issue. Many of the aftermarket covers don't have a RamBox version or have a 'silver rail' only version. My guess is others are 'silver rail' and just haven't specified it; with the truck only a year on the market, few with the factory cover have probably changed their cover, and then few have the Rambox, to begin with.

Is the factory cover any good? :)

Kxlexus

Reaction score
I am not an authority on the factory cover. I do like and recommend the BAK Revolver X4 that I have on my truck. They aren’t inexpensive but can be had for $900 delivered. It was the easiest cover I’ve ever installed. It offers more security than a soft cover. Doesn’t block rear window like a fold up cover and doesn’t take up bed space like the retractable covers

ericd

Reaction score
Thanks for clearing that up!

Off course, it makes whether to order the factor tonneau cover a big issue. Many of the aftermarket covers don't have a RamBox version or have a 'silver rail' only version. My guess is others are 'silver rail' and just haven't specified it; with the truck only a year on the market, few with the factory cover have probably changed their cover, and then few have the Rambox, to begin with.

Is the factory cover any good? :)
It's decent. This is the first time out of my 3 rams that I've had one. Mine seems to let in a decent amount of water when it rains. I wish it were a little more water tight.

AMG16

Reaction score
Mine has Silver Anodized rails as well. Black does look nicer tho it hides them a bit

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's decent. This is the first time out of my 3 rams that I've had one. Mine seems to let in a decent amount of water when it rains. I wish it were a little more water tight.
There was an early thread on this (see below); @VaderRebel found that if the rear clamp positions of the factory tri-fold cover were adjusted rearward a bit, the cover settled down much better...preventing flapping and most water intrusion. The cover itself is well built.

ericd

Reaction score
There was an early thread on this (see below); @VaderRebel found that if the rear clamp positions of the factory tri-fold cover were adjusted rearward a bit, the cover settled down much better...preventing flapping and most water intrusion. The cover itself is well built.
yea that's what it seems like. The clamps just aren't pulling the lid down tight enough

DavidNJ

Reaction score
Amazing...even the OEM cover is a project. The posts indicate the clamps on (some?) factory tonneau covers have the clamps incorrectly positioned and have a minor project to move them.

It seems there are multiple plastic or aluminum tri-fold options, vinyl roll-up options, at least 2 distinct aluminum roller container options, and one folding panel option. The last, Peragon, isn't listed for the RamBox. And it appears most aren't compatible with the tracks used with the OEM cover.

DavidNJ

Reaction score
Question: Are the cargo rails (that come with the Bed Utility Package) on the Ram different with the Rambox or are they same on both the standard bed and the Rambox?

Kxlexus

Reaction score
Amazing...even the OEM cover is a project. The posts indicate the clamps on (some?) factory tonneau covers have the clamps incorrectly positioned and have a minor project to move them.

It seems there are multiple plastic or aluminum tri-fold options, vinyl roll-up options, at least 2 distinct aluminum roller container options, and one folding panel option. The last, Peragon, isn't listed for the RamBox. And it appears most aren't compatible with the tracks used with the OEM cover.
My BAK Revolver X4 has a rail that slid into and on top of the stock silver rail. My guess is this raised it to the height of the tracks that come with the factory cover. I would just order your truck without a factory cover then get an aftermarket cover. Seems the simplest option.

DavidNJ

Reaction score
It seems to be a great cover. I'm intrigued by the Peragon, which is $800, $1000 with optional hardware, and an extra $600 for color match. But they've never made a Rambox version.

The Peragon reviewer below carries cinematography gear. I also do that (which is why I favor an SUV), but also a blend of home repair, woodworking, automotive (antique and race), and landscaping stuff (fertilizer, herbicides, tools, etc.). Plus it's my daily driver maybe 2/3rds of the year.

Geobound

Reaction score
I purchased a 2019 Limited with the Mopar tonneau cover, but the day I went to pick up the truck I knew I wasn't going to be happy with what they supplied. I asked the dealer to take the cover off and give me a credit (which the gladly did), however what I didn't realize is that the bed rails that they left won't work with the Bakflip covers.

I now find myself having to purchase the chrome bed rails and try and sell these ones, or come up with a creative use for them in my garage or cargo trailer.

Oh well, live and learn.

rrroscoe

Reaction score
I purchased a 2019 Limited with the Mopar tonneau cover, but the day I went to pick up the truck I knew I wasn't going to be happy with what they supplied. I asked the dealer to take the cover off and give me a credit (which the gladly did), however what I didn't realize is that the bed rails that they left won't work with the Bakflip covers.

I now find myself having to purchase the chrome bed rails and try and sell these ones, or come up with a creative use for them in my garage or cargo trailer.

Oh well, live and learn.
I am in the same boat. Did you ever get the silver rails?

Geobound

Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply, but I was away on holidays.

No I haven't got the rails yet. I spoke with my dealer and he does have them on order, its just that they are backordered until November! :eek:

Looks like I will be shovelling snow out of the back of my truck until then. :confused:

Mrgernhard

Reaction score

Oh well, live and learn.
I’m in a similar situation. Do you happen to have the part numbers for the OEM silver rails?

1ramrunner

Reaction score
I have an '09 Dodge Ram 1500 with RamBox. Iy came with the rails. Now when I go to order a '21 w/ RamBox, I can also choose the BUG option. Does it replace the RamBox rails? Or, do I even need the BUG option if I have RamBox?

Users who are viewing this thread