5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rambox Bed Divider/Extender Problem

kcarter20

Reaction score
Hey all,
I negotiated a rambox divider/extender when I purchased my Rebel. The dealership agreed but instead of ordering a new one with all the parts they took the divider/extender from another truck off the lot. Unfortunately, this means I am missing the locking mechanism on the back of the truck to use the extender. Anybody have an idea how to order just this part? Maybe an alternative fix? Thanks,

Keith

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would be back at the dealer you got it from and make them live up to their end of the deal.

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Should still be on your paperwork or as a "We Owe" type thing. Probably will have to fight this out with them, otherwise, you may be SOL. I just doubt they sell what you are after by itself, likely have to get in touch with a dealer regardless, may as well be the @ssholes who screwed you over. Sorry, you are dealing with this. Good luck!

kcarter20

Reaction score
Should still be on your paperwork or as a "We Owe" type thing. Probably will have to fight this out with them, otherwise, you may be SOL. I just doubt they sell what you are after by itself, likely have to get in touch with a dealer regardless, may as well be the @ssholes who screwed you over. Sorry, you are dealing with this. Good luck!

Haha that's what I was afraid of, "SOL". I will keep calling. Thanks for the reply

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
FYI...they no longer include the pegs for mounting the bed divider as a bed extender on the new Ram 1500. They don't even list part numbers for those. They also no longer advertise the bed divider for use as a bed extender. That ended with 4th gens. They also do not automatically include the bed divider with the rambox option. I found that out the hard way. If you order a truck with the rambox option, you need to also include the bed utility group. If you want to retain the ability to use it as a bed extender, you can order the mounting pegs from a 4th gen. They are the same and mount in the stock positions. For now they are just plugging the bolt holes with plastic plugs. Remove those plugs and bolt the pegs in place. kcarter20, you will need to re-key your divider if you want to be able to lock it in place since they took it from another truck.

kcarter20

Reaction score
FYI...they no longer include the pegs for mounting the bed divider as a bed extender on the new Ram 1500. They don't even list part numbers for those. They also no longer advertise the bed divider for use as a bed extender. That ended with 4th gens. They also do not automatically include the bed divider with the rambox option. I found that out the hard way. If you order a truck with the rambox option, you need to also include the bed utility group. If you want to retain the ability to use it as a bed extender, you can order the mounting pegs from a 4th gen. They are the same and mount in the stock positions. For now they are just plugging the bolt holes with plastic plugs. Remove those plugs and bolt the pegs in place. kcarter20, you will need to re-key your divider if you want to be able to lock it in place since they took it from another truck.
Thx Mikeru82!

Scottg918514

Reaction score
Correct, the locking pegs/clips are no longer included on any truck. Gov regs forced manufactures to stop allowing the extender to be used. But that doesn’t mean you can’t get the pegs/clips. Still sold on mopar sites. I got mine from: moparpartsoverstock.com

kcarter20

Reaction score
Correct, the locking pegs/clips are no longer included on any truck. Gov regs forced manufactures to stop allowing the extender to be used. But that doesn’t mean you can’t get the pegs/clips. Still sold on mopar sites. I got mine from: moparpartsoverstock.com

Scott, thanks for your help! Do you still have the part number for the pegs? Thanks

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
You need two each of 68054997AB (Grommet. pivot point) and 68054996AA (Handle. swivel release).

kcarter20

Reaction score
You need two each of 68054997AB (Grommet. pivot point) and 68054996AA (Handle. swivel release).

Thanks Mike. Huge help.

DanRam2020

Reaction score
I imagine its because the tailgate is now aluminum and probably won’t handle any extended amount of weight like the 4th gen, I just picked up my 1500 Laramie with the bed utility group with ram box to include the extender and there were no mounting pegs neither... :(
Thx Mikeru82!

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I imagine its because the tailgate is now aluminum and probably won’t handle any extended amount of weight like the 4th gen, I just picked up my 1500 Laramie with the bed utility group with ram box to include the extender and there were no mounting pegs neither... :(
No, that has nothing to do with it (the real reason has been discussed quite a bit in previous threads).

Marshbum

Reaction score
Fellaz, new here and found this site while googling my problem. I have a 2020 Ram 1500 with Rambox. I just ordered the grommet and swivel from Amazon and received today. When I tried to install it seems the threads are not lining up (but they appear to be correct). I don't want to force it and damage. This part says it fits 1500 CLASSIC. While mine is not a "CLASSIC" I would think the threading/part would be the same. Any thoughts? Below is the link to what I ordered. Tks.

https://www.amazon.com/Handle-Gromm...cphy=9008121&hvtargid=pla-1409852962791&psc=1

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Those look like the correct parts. The bed dividers are the same between 4th gen and 5th gens as far as dimensions go. They never sold any 5th gens with the pegs to use the bed divider as a bed extender, so there are no 5th gen bed extender pegs. They should screw in. The threads might just be gummed up with paint, which combined with the thread locker could be making it seem like they won't screw in. Make sure you have them in the correct position, the round pegs go on the bottom.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
None of the 5th gens come with the pegs. The 5th gen tailgates are rated to support up to 2000 pounds so weight support has nothing to do with it. Not sure why it's that much different between 4th and 5th gens, but there is an issue with tail light visibility when the bed divider is used as a bed extender on 5th gens. So the feds would not allow Ram to include that. Early ads for the new Ram 1500 had pics of it being used as a bed divider, but were later removed.

Marshbum

Reaction score
Thanks. I ended up finding 4 spare nuts in my misc bin that went on like a glove. Drilled out the existing nuts and simply used the extras I had laying around.
Was not paint, the threading was different.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thanks. I ended up finding 4 spare nuts in my misc bin that went on like a glove. Drilled out the existing nuts and simply used the extras I had laying around.
Was not paint, the threading was different.
That's interesting that the threads were different. I've installed the Mopar version on 3 different 5th gens without any issues threading them in. I suspect the Amazon version are not genuine Mopar parts. Glad you got them installed.

Users who are viewing this thread