5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rambox- and rack-compatible rolling cover

zj4x4

Reaction score
This is a bit of a repost from the "what did you do to your Ram today" thread for this accessories group.

Yesterday I installed an American Roll Cover from Trucks USA: https://www.truckcoversusa.com/american-roll-cover/

The key selling point for me was the Rack system, which allows for Yakima-compatible accessories to be fitted: https://www.truckcoversusa.com/american-rack-system/

I ordered it with the racks pre-installed on the rails but otherwise unassembled from a dealer local to me in Denver and installed it myself. I found some local dealers using the dealer locator on the manufacturer website and shopped around for the best price.

The installation documentation wasn't super clear but if you're decently handy you'll figure it out. I did call with a question and they immediately answered the phone (and my question), which was great! The quality at installation seemed good, though it will take some getting used to this style after using a tri-fold on 2 trucks in a row. I was pleased that I didn't need to use the key system unless I wanted to. With the locking tailgate and the fact that the slide is locked by default it only provides a mechanism to open the bed without opening the tailgate, which is rarely an issue for me but I can always grab that key when I have a bike rack or am towing.

1635882142894.png
1635882170896.png

1635882191336.png

Now I just need to figure out which rack and accessories I'm going to put on this bad boy!

Whodeysrt

Reaction score
Nice!…. I went with the Diamondback cover and the Yakima basket and crossbars. I had the rolling cover on my 2019 but needed the room it took up inside the front of the bed. Yours looks great!

Attachments

• 05F22C11-7A69-4AB4-91A3-7DE7C6C17602.jpeg
    05F22C11-7A69-4AB4-91A3-7DE7C6C17602.jpeg
    154.6 KB · Views: 150
  • 53E6258E-B13B-4354-8179-185707306BC0.jpeg
    53E6258E-B13B-4354-8179-185707306BC0.jpeg
    124.8 KB · Views: 147
  • C0B81BBD-9C65-4B91-A656-028E61172FE6.jpeg
    C0B81BBD-9C65-4B91-A656-028E61172FE6.jpeg
    126.2 KB · Views: 147

zj4x4

Reaction score
That was my second choice but it was a bit more rugged than I was looking for. However, I don't have the 4x4 badging like you... ;)

bvigne01

Reaction score
That's the cover I wanted but couldn't get because of the covid shut down in CA. Looks good on your truck

bvigne01

Reaction score
Yeah I was trying to buy a year or so ago. I got one that was missing parts and looked like it was a return. It had been installed before. I returned it and waited months for a replacement before I went with something else

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
OP. Can you take a picture of the canister with the cover open and by any chance do you have any measurement on how much space it takes up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

zj4x4

Reaction score
OP. Can you take a picture of the canister with the cover open and by any chance do you have any measurement on how much space it takes up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Photos below. It measured about 8" from the front of the bed and about 10" down.

1636385269356.png

1636385285435.png

CFConcepcion

Reaction score
This is a bit of a repost from the "what did you do to your Ram today" thread for this accessories group.

Yesterday I installed an American Roll Cover from Trucks USA: https://www.truckcoversusa.com/american-roll-cover/

The key selling point for me was the Rack system, which allows for Yakima-compatible accessories to be fitted: https://www.truckcoversusa.com/american-rack-system/

I ordered it with the racks pre-installed on the rails but otherwise unassembled from a dealer local to me in Denver and installed it myself. I found some local dealers using the dealer locator on the manufacturer website and shopped around for the best price.

The installation documentation wasn't super clear but if you're decently handy you'll figure it out. I did call with a question and they immediately answered the phone (and my question), which was great! The quality at installation seemed good, though it will take some getting used to this style after using a tri-fold on 2 trucks in a row. I was pleased that I didn't need to use the key system unless I wanted to. With the locking tailgate and the fact that the slide is locked by default it only provides a mechanism to open the bed without opening the tailgate, which is rarely an issue for me but I can always grab that key when I have a bike rack or am towing.

View attachment 109811
View attachment 109812

View attachment 109813

Now I just need to figure out which rack and accessories I'm going to put on this bad boy!
Looks great. I've ordered a '22 Rebel 1500 Diesel with Ramboxes and a MFT. I'm torn between the DiamondBack and the ARC from TCUSA. For me, mounting the Yakima rails and accessories is a must have. I know that i can do this with either system. With the ARC, can the cover be opened without having to lower the tailgate ? Any other thoughts/comments to help me chose between these two terrific options would be welcome.

omaha_cyclone

Reaction score
Nice!…. I went with the Diamondback cover and the Yakima basket and crossbars. I had the rolling cover on my 2019 but needed the room it took up inside the front of the bed. Yours looks great!
Really like this solution. I have a 2022 with Ram Box and MFT coming in Feb. Curious how this solution is holding up and curious on how much you paid for the over and basket/crossbars? I'd like to do the exact same.

Yangster

Reaction score
I installed the same (less Yakima) on my 2021 Longhorn. While it is a little more expensive, this is the way to go. The unlocking mechanism is in the middle vs side and no key needed! Plus I believe it will hold up to 400 lbs on the cover. Looks like you got the matte finish which goes great with the rambox finish. For those looking to save, check out Autoplicity.com. Saved $$ and no taxes. They ordered and it was shipped direct and free from Truckcovers USA in San Diego. I got mine in early October after they replenished their stock.

pmthomas23

Reaction score
Looks great. I've ordered a '22 Rebel 1500 Diesel with Ramboxes and a MFT. I'm torn between the DiamondBack and the ARC from TCUSA. For me, mounting the Yakima rails and accessories is a must have. I know that i can do this with either system. With the ARC, can the cover be opened without having to lower the tailgate ? Any other thoughts/comments to help me chose between these two terrific options would be welcome.
I am wondering which you chose and how the cover is working out? I am considering the Diamondback vs the ARC and would be interesting in knowing how things turned out for you.

Bigbags85

Reaction score
That's the route I'm going as well. Just put my cover on the other week. I like the rolling ones but also didn't want to eat up the bed space.

Yangster

Reaction score
Yes, you can open the ARC with the tailgate closed, but you have to use the key. It you just open the one side, you just pull the cord that is underneath and it opens. Once you open, you just let it slide all the way in to reset and then you can close it at 12" intervals. I've found that this is more than enough. Or if you don't want to open it all the way, you can reset by manually hitting the reset bar. For myself, I don't want to climb up or walk to the side to open/close the cover. That's why I got the ARC and got rid of the factory tonneau. It all depends if you need the space that the ARC cover rolls into. It doesn't take up much space at 8" x 8". If you need this extra space, get the Diamondback. If not, the open/close convenience of the ARC is nice. Both are sturdy.

mcd3620

Reaction score
If you don't mind which Yakima basket did you go with because I love your set up that you have.

mcd3620

Reaction score
One more quick question for you, how or did you put anything in the gaps of the MFD and the ram box near the doors, I noticed they are pretty big and allowed in snow this week.

Users who are viewing this thread