5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RAM vs GM. My personal review of the 2020 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn.

Narg

Reaction score
RAM vs Chevy, My personal review of the 2020 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn.

This is my personal comparison of the previous Chevy Silverado LTZ I owned to the new RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn I just purchased. My last truck was a 2015 Silverado LTZ 4x4 Rain Forest Green, which color was highly envied by all, with most options available at the time and a 5.3L V8, 6-speed transmission power train. The only thing missing in my old truck was the sunroof. Bad experiences in previous vehicles make me dislike sunroofs. Now I have a RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4x4 fully optioned for street use. With the eTorque HEMI 5.7L V8, Two-tone paint, Rambox, Advance safety, Level 1 equipment, Rambox, the new trick tailgate, protection package, bed utility group, 33-Gal tank, anti-spin, and the much-debated 3.21 rear end. Oh, and sunroof this time, God help me. At least my rear sliding window hasn’t leaked yet either…

I’ve owned/driven Chevy for almost all my driving life, which some was before 16 years of age. The only difference was, in my college years the ride was a Dodge D-50 (aka Mitsubishi) truck. So, by extended definition, I’m back to my roots with the RAM 1500 now. I’ve had 4 Chevy trucks since that original D-50 and drove quite a few others owned by family members for various miles and reasons. Plus, some other Chevy models. So, I’ve got a mild affixation to Chevy by use and proxy. But not strong enough to keep me from trying a modern RAM.

Let’s get down to brass tax here: The old Chevy had the ubiquitous 5.3L V8, a very good engine but the horrendous 6-speed transmission. Yes, I hated that transmission as it was troublesome in shifting and didn’t have the right gear on a moment’s notice and would kick back in some situations. Years before I had a 5.3L with a 4-speed transmission. I actually liked that old 4 speed better. It had a neat trick of using the torque converter to make it seem like it had an 8 speed and boy was it smooth. The 6 speed GM transmission was finicky, troublesome, and rough. Yuck. The rest of the GM truck was top notch for the time that I bought it. Modern 10 speeds I've tried just seem too busy from my test drives. Compared to the 8 speed RAM 8HP75 transmission, it does not even compare. The RAM transmission is by far the best tranny I’ve ever owned. Smooth, predictable, and from what I read very reliable. Especially under load which the GM transmission of comparison was also good under load but not much else. Brakes are interesting. My truck is loaded with the eTorque regen setup, so the brakes do act in a way that powers the battery when needed. You can feel that working if you try. But still, they work as expected and well.

The 5.7 Hemi I love, though I’m not far enough along in ownership to make a well-based opinion. However, so far I like this engine. A lot. It is 40 HP and 15 Foot Lbs. better than my old truck, and that's very noticeable. What I also like is that this engine starts smoothly. VERY smoothly and sounds powerful too. I had a 5.3L truck even before the ol' green truck that when started would send shivers up my spine because it sounded awesome and strong. Now, I think that truck has the dealership installed “performance exhaust” but none of the paperwork it had stated that. But it rumbled to life noticeably. The 2015 didn’t have any special exhaust and sounded rather anemic in comparison. The Hemi sounds fantastic on start, not quite as good as the older 5.3 before the last did, though the RAM with normal factory exhaust still sounds good. I have no desire to upgrade exhaust, as I’m getting older and noise is not my desire anymore. Still, it sounds great on startup.

My last Silverado had a 3.55 rear end. Which was a great compromise between power and economy in my opinion. My current RAM has the 3.21 because I drive some for work and get very little in return compensation for mileage. MPG is now a big deal for me. I’d probably have optioned the 3.92 if I were younger or had a different purpose. I chose the 3.21 this go around. I still debate that internally, though still happy with what I got. I do wish RAM offered its middle ground rear end with the 5.7 as that’s what I would have ended up with. The 3.92 just doesn’t thrill me much anymore. And, I don’t tow a lot any more. I’d like to tow a little more than the 3.21 does. I’ll put up with it since I rarely tow any more.

I have a very heavy RAM 1500, with way too many options. Age does that to you, options become more desirable. 998 LBs. payload and a mear 7800 LBs. towing. I haven’t done the math comparison yet, but I bet it’s 1,000 LBs or heavier than my old Silverado due to many of those options and other factors. GM seems a bit better at weight savings than RAM according to folks that know. I blame a lot of my truck’s weight on the under-carriage protection group I optioned for. It drives like it’s heavier too. Yet, the Hemi pushes that truck up to speed like it’s nothing. Very responsive, and very powerful. I’m not quite that far past the break in miles at barely 1,000 so far, so I’ve not hammered the engine yet. But when I need power, it seems like there is no question as to whether it’s there, it just gives what I need.

I also have the much-debated eTorque setup on my Hemi. I optioned this on purpose.

I really enjoy eTorque. My wife has an SUV with start/stop ability, and you can get used to it. But it still can be annoying at times with the noise and jerkiness of its actions. The eTorque is smooth and effortless and quite nice in comparison. It’s almost a “why not” option as well as it works. Plus, the extra MPG in town is a big plus for me. I put about 60% of my miles on a vehicle in town. To make matters worse, my in-town driving is very stop/start heavy. My normal morning commute is only about 6 miles, and I have 13 stoplights in that 6 miles. Lots of start/stop. Lots. I got tired of burning gas for no reason. The eTorque just made a lot of sense to me. Still does, as I think this power train drives better in this scenario than anything I’ve ever driven. Smooth, responsive, quiet, powerful. #loveit

The main thing that pulled me to the RAM, this go around for a new truck, was the talk about the ride quality. After the first test drive, I was hooked. In addition, the upgrade on technology (mostly, as there are some caveats) and the interior luxury quality just put Ford and Chevy to shame right now. Good looking, well-appointed and just relaxing to ride in. Now, as far as the technology, RAM does have the 12” screen, and some neat tricks. I do have to say though that GM's results in technology are a bit more refined in some respects. GM's version does work more as expected and is more user friendly in some cases. For example, I’m a big XM radio fan. XM is super easy to use in the Silverado and is accessible from anywhere in the system screens. On the RAM 12”, it’s hard to get to in many cases. And, nowhere you’d expect it to be. For instance, in the split-screen scenario, if you choose audio for the 2nd half there is no XM button to be seen. There’s room for it, but it’s not there. You have to exit out of split-screen, choose “other input” and then choose XM and then go back to split-screen. Not nice. Also, while setting up XM the initial call from inside the vehicle when it was a new GM I was greeted with “Welcome to your new truck…”, in the RAM I got a “hello? What do you want?” Big difference there. Not sure why, but the experience was shocking. And, you seem to have to go in and out of some functions before other functions work on the 12" screen. I feel I'll get used to it over time. The RAM is good, very good by what I think is standards in technology. But GM is just smoother and simpler in many cases.

In terms of the ride, GM is a very rough ride. As is Ford in the models I test drove. RAM is so much more compliant with the road and gentler on the most potholed roads it’s not even a close call. That said, both GM and Ford give a “sportier” feel to the driving experience. I’d say the GM is easier to drive in some cases. Not by a lot, or even a little but it's there if only barely noticeable. Also, It’s not too hard to tell when your “bucket” is in the bucket seat. After a long drive on a rough highway, I’d much rather be in the RAM than the others. The RAM seems to road walk a bit, but just a very little bit. Thank goodness I have the lane keep assist in my RAM. My old GM trucks seemed to be on rails, held true and straight no matter what. However, the ride quality of the RAM makes up for every bit of that and more. The RAM won’t beat you up on a poorly maintained highway. I have plenty of poor, run-down highways in my neck of the woods. As Car & Driver put it in their 2019 RAM review, my older hind-end enjoys the ride a lot better.

I’ve found a few things negative on the RAM in smaller details. Like the engine bay of the GM was easier to navigate when doing deep maintenance. However, the RAM had easier to reach things and use in everyday functions under the hood. For instance, I put a windshield washer fluid heater on my new vehicles these days. The GM was an easy install with plenty of room. The RAM seems a bit too crowded, so I’ve not yet done this upgrade. But all fluids are front and easy to reach. The battery is not covered by an ambiguous bar, as it was in my last GM. And other functions are quite easy in the RAM engine bay. Just more difficult to add-on aftermarket items that I'd expect in a modern truck.

One detail I do miss in the RAM that GM does on technology. In the GM with keyless entry, if you walk away from the truck with the key in your pocket, the truck locks. A no-brainer action. Not so in the RAM. I’ve left my RAM unlocked accidentally a few times. It’s quite annoying. But I’ll learn eventually. The unlock feature is better in the RAM, as it’s just a gesture of the hand in the handle, and on the GM you have to push a button. Kind of backward from the RAM where you push the button to lock instead. I’m it a bit of a quandary as my wife drives a Cadillac, so I have to be aware of what vehicle I’m using to know if the button locks or unlocks. Bothersome! #firstworldissues.

One other thing I’ll give GM is the dash lights. On my new RAM, the dash lights are far too dim at the highest “night” setting for me. A quick click of the brightness wheel will get them to daylight settings, but that’s far too bright. I wish RAM would make the dial without the click, and allow low to highest variability fully in the brightness dial so I could get just the right setting on the dash lights. I do like that the 12” Uconnect display is a little more flexible with an additional setting, but that’s a completely different setting in the display that doesn't affect the dial. Yet the dial does affect the 12” display in addition to that display setting. It doesn’t help the dash lights. Not too friendly a design in my opinion. The Silverado dash lights were fully variable. Back in RAM’s court, the headlights are awesome. I do have the optioned-up version of the RAM that has the corner lights and LED versions. They are fantastic. Beats both GM and Ford hands down.

The seat in the RAM is the best truck seat I’ve ever experienced. Let’s step back a bit though. I’m not a big fan of Leather for sitting on, especially for long trips. Cooled seats help, and I’ve had them in my past Silverados and now in the new RAM. I could rarely sit comfortably for long rides in my Silverado. Not that it was bad, but something just didn’t fit and overheating even with cooled seats still was an issue. I’ve already taken a 6-hour trip in my RAM, and arrived as rested as I did when starting. Big win for the RAM on comfort. Again, not sure what the big differentiator was, though I’m thinking maybe the side bolsters were more compliant in the RAM than the Silverado. And, the width and length of seat cushions as the RAM was more accepting of my 5’10” wide frame of an old body than the GM ever was. The RAM is just so much more comfortable.

The back reclining seat is 10000000% better. So says my daughter who sits back there. ‘nuf said.

Overall, I’m still smitten by the ride, comfort and quality of the RAM over my older Silverado. The Silverados get bashed for plastic, but I think plastic lasts longer and keeps looks better. The RAM seems like it can do that without the plastic though. Time will tell. There are several other tiny differences, most of those go into option differences that are worth a much longer review than I’ve got the time for. The newer RAM truck in as far as look and ride quality is so much better in my opinion than others. I do miss the sportiness and drivability of the GM trucks a little, but can put up with that over the smooth easy ride of the RAM. Especially over the rough highways in my local roads. I’m glad I made the switch. And, can’t wait to see what RAM or GM will do in the coming years as these “truck wars” continue to grind ahead.

Attachments

• New 2020 RAM Longhorn_cr.jpg
    New 2020 RAM Longhorn_cr.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

steveved

Reaction score
If I may, I have a 2019 Laramie with the 20" wheels, and I too noticed a slight tendency to wander in the lane when I still had the stock tires. I don't know what tires your truck came with, but mine had the Bridgestone Duellers on it. They absolutely sucked. I just upgraded to 285/60R20 Continental Terraincontact A/T. The difference is night and day. These new tires track way better and make the truck drive even smoother.

So, if the wandering starts to bug you, change tires. You will love the drive even more with better rubber.

Just my 2 cents.

Mustangmike66

Reaction score
Wow! Thanks for the very detailed review and welcome to the RAM family. Good luck with the new truck, I’m sure you’ll continue to love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AbitaPro

Reaction score
Not sure your full vehicle setup, but I have a 2019 Limited 4x4 with the Off-Road Package 20” Falken AT tires. My truck drives like a luxury sedan, and sports car with excellent handling. Was a notable difference between similar truck without ORP and 22” Goodyear tires. That vehicle seemed to just float on that setup and didn’t have the sporty feel. Honestly on a short trip to Birmingham just after I bought the RAM, On a stretch of I-10 East the ride was so nice, quiet and felt as though I was flying just above the ground! Absolutely the best ride ever experienced. And truly is the best designed vehicle I’ve ever owned.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure your full vehicle setup, but I have a 2019 Limited 4x4 with the Off-Road Package 20” Falken AT tires. My truck drives like a luxury sedan, and sports car with excellent handling. Was a notable difference between similar truck without ORP and 22” Goodyear tires. That vehicle seemed to just float on that setup and didn’t have the sporty feel. Honestly on a short trip to Birmingham just after I bought the RAM, On a stretch of I-10 East the ride was so nice, quiet and felt as though I was flying just above the ground! Absolutely the best ride ever experienced. And truly is the best designed vehicle I’ve ever owned.
My setup is similar to yours. The only change I made was to add a Hellwig sway bar to eliminate high-speed “float”, and it did the job beautifully.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To the OP, thanks for the thorough review. To make life easier, please add the details of your truck to your signature along with your location in your personal details if you don't mind.

Boston

Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to write all of that. I’d just started test drives when the corona hit the fan.
Ram really impressed me with ride on the 20 inch rims. Wouldn’t want the 22 inches after that. Probably be happy with 18 as well.

I’m big on 6ft 4 bed, no Ram box, no MFT, 33gall tank and TBC. Wary of Ecodiesel (pray that they fixed the problems) (I like diesel) like non hybrid V8. Wife will want leather. Prefer 3.21 for reasons you state. Want safety for the 360 camera. Bit of a unicorn version....

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If I may, I have a 2019 Laramie with the 20" wheels, and I too noticed a slight tendency to wander in the lane when I still had the stock tires. I don't know what tires your truck came with, but mine had the Bridgestone Duellers on it. They absolutely sucked. I just upgraded to 285/60R20 Continental Terraincontact A/T. The difference is night and day. These new tires track way better and make the truck drive even smoother.

So, if the wandering starts to bug you, change tires. You will love the drive even more with better rubber.

Just my 2 cents.
Are you running those 285/60R20 Terraincontact A/Ts without a lift or level? I have been wanting to buy that exact tire; but currently sitting stock height. I haven't pulled the trigger yet because I have been concerned about rubbing. Got any pics?

Narg

Reaction score
My setup is similar to yours. The only change I made was to add a Hellwig sway bar to eliminate high-speed “float”, and it did the job beautifully.

I'll have to look into that sway bar. I've been told that is a great upgrade by many people. Thanks for the input!

Narg

Reaction score
Are you running those 285/60R20 Terraincontact A/Ts without a lift or level? I have been wanting to buy that exact tire; but currently sitting stock height. I haven't pulled the trigger yet because I have been concerned about rubbing. Got any pics?

My stock tires are Bridgestone Duelers 275/55/20. Never owned those before. If they are the cause of the drive sway, I'm going to look into upgrading sooner rather than later. I usually upgrade stock tires about 30K, just to get my $$ worth out of the original purchase. Maybe sooner this go around. I've upgraded to Michelin Defender in past and noticed better ride in all those. Hope that will make a difference this go around too. I'm open to suggestions though. I also usually go up one on the size to 285/55/20 or 275/60/20 to get more rubber between me and the road. I doubt rubbing would occur, as this upgrade on trucks usually fits well.

steveved

Reaction score
I am running them with the stock suspension. No lift. Yes, there is a little bit of rubbing at full lock. But, these tires are so far superior to the originals, that I love them and will deal with it.

I do plan to add some 1" spacers in the next month or so, but no lift in my future.

Here are some pictures.

Attachments

• 20200326_135759.jpg
    20200326_135759.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 67
  • 20200326_135808.jpg
    20200326_135808.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 65

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am running them with the stock suspension. No lift. Yes, there is a little bit of rubbing at full lock. But, these tires are so far superior to the originals, that I love them and will deal with it.

I do plan to add some 1" spacers in the next month or so, but no lift in my future.

Here are some pictures.
Thanks. That is definitely going to happen on my truck soon.

Users who are viewing this thread