5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RAM tailgate logo

Bink

Reaction score
I feel like I’ve spent a fair enough amount of time searching and could not find the answer I am looking for, so here it is...if I don’t care about the tailgate logo because I’ll be swapping it out, can I remove it by breaking it so I don’t have to remove whatever panel needs to be removed to get access to it, and install the new one? Appreciate the help.

Nickv1214

Reaction score
I feel like I’ve spent a fair enough amount of time searching and could not find the answer I am looking for, so here it is...if I don’t care about the tailgate logo because I’ll be swapping it out, can I remove it by breaking it so I don’t have to remove whatever panel needs to be removed to get access to it, and install the new one? Appreciate the help.
You can definitely remove it by breaking it .

Attachments

• 486495B0-C2BB-43E1-ABF0-680B1BB1A32D.jpeg
    486495B0-C2BB-43E1-ABF0-680B1BB1A32D.jpeg
    243 KB · Views: 259
  • AD541E9C-6772-46D8-BEFC-57AAF37BCC61.jpeg
    AD541E9C-6772-46D8-BEFC-57AAF37BCC61.jpeg
    178.6 KB · Views: 260

Nickv1214

Reaction score
Just hopefully none of the tabs fall into the tail gate because then you’ll be removing everything necessary to remove those :LOL:

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
You just pull it out. Pull from the center and with even force on both sides, it's not going to break.

Bink

Reaction score
Thank you, that is incredibly helpful. I am hesitant to remove that tailgate panel as I am nervous about getting it back together (unless it is very straightforward). Called dealer where I got the truck and the price for part and labor is ridiculous...if possible would like to do myself. Thanks for pics and helpful words! This noob appreciates it

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you, that is incredibly helpful. I am hesitant to remove that tailgate panel as I am nervous about getting it back together (unless it is very straightforward). Called dealer where I got the truck and the price for part and labor is ridiculous...if possible would like to do myself. Thanks for pics and helpful words! This noob appreciates it
Are you talking about the Logo? You need the matt black logo? It's around $55 at the parts store online

Bink

Reaction score
Are you talking about the Logo? You need the matt black logo? It's around $55 at the parts store online
Yeah the RAM logo in black. Dealership wants $65 for the logo and another $60 for installation...crazy

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah the RAM logo in black. Dealership wants $65 for the logo and another $60 for installation...crazy
If they have it in stock, $65 is not that bad... just get it and install yourself

Nickv1214

Reaction score
If they have it in stock, $65 is not that bad... just get it and install yourself
60 bucks labor really isn’t that bad either . When I took mine off the amount of scraping I had to do to remove all factory adhesive tape is insane . That thing is on there solid like concrete . I would of paid somebody 60

Bink

Reaction score
60 bucks labor really isn’t that bad either . When I took mine off the amount of scraping I had to do to remove all factory adhesive tape is insane . That thing is on there solid like concrete . I would of paid somebody 60
I was worried about the adhesive on the other badges, but once the logo was off the adhesive literally just rolled off, so unless they use some other adhesive for the tailgate emblem (which I have no idea why they would since it also has clips) I’m not too worried about that...more about taking the emblem off without having to remove any panels. Out of curiosity is it this top panel I have to remove?

Attachments

• 0917B9FD-A384-49CD-A50E-EC52D72BCE88.jpeg
    0917B9FD-A384-49CD-A50E-EC52D72BCE88.jpeg
    91.9 KB · Views: 111

Nickv1214

Reaction score
I was worried about the adhesive on the other badges, but once the logo was off the adhesive literally just rolled off, so unless they use some other adhesive for the tailgate emblem (which I have no idea why they would since it also has clips) I’m not too worried about that...more about taking the emblem off without having to remove any panels. Out of curiosity is it this top panel I have to remove?
Yes it is

dfclimber

Reaction score
I ordered one and figured I would post some helpful info about my install.
Total time <30 min
I did remove the inside of the tailgate (plastic then metal cover)(5min) to access the inside thinking that pushing the tabs from the backside would help but it does Not. THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO REASON TO REMOVE THE INSIDE PANEL OF THE TAILGATE.

As you can see from the new ram's head. It is held on by the double sided foam tape which is incredibly strong and needs to be slowly peeled back.

I did warm up the head with a heat gun on low but not sure it helped. I used fishing line behind the head to cut through some of the tape and it broke apart into 2 pieces (5-10 min).
Remove by slowly pulling off the the residual foam tape and wipe with goo gone (5min)

The new head has aligning posts and 4 clips which makes it pretty hard to mess up (1min).
Much easier then I expected

Attachments

• 20200425_135455.jpg
    20200425_135455.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 183
  • 20200425_135506.jpg
    20200425_135506.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 180
  • 20200425_165159.jpg
    20200425_165159.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 178
  • 20200425_165105.jpg
    20200425_165105.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 183

lawlavigne

Reaction score
Total time <30 min
I did remove the inside of the tailgate (plastic then metal cover)(5min) to access the inside thinking that pushing the tabs from the backside would help but it does Not. THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO REASON TO REMOVE THE INSIDE PANEL OF THE TAILGATE.

As you can see from the new ram's head. It is held on by the double sided foam tape which is incredibly strong and needs to be slowly peeled back.

I did warm up the head with a heat gun on low but not sure it helped. I used fishing line behind the head to cut through some of the tape and it broke apart into 2 pieces (5-10 min).
Remove by slowly pulling off the the residual foam tape and wipe with goo gone (5min)

The new head has aligning posts and 4 clips which makes it pretty hard to mess up (1min).
What type of adhesive did you use to reapply? Assuming it wasn't a brand new emblem.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Total time <30 min

Great pics! I wasn't aware that it was two pieces. So the chrome piece is just held on by clips? Did any of the clips break when you removed it? I might just pull off the chrome part and paint it instead of spending the $$ for a new badge. Thanks for posting those dfclimber!

I know. Speaking about if you buy used emblems and reapplying.
I'd probably try using servo tape because it's black and I have quite a bit of it. But there are lots of types of foam tape available.

Donwil

Reaction score
I am a noob too as I will get my 1st Ram in a few weeks. However I turn 70 next April but I guess its never too late to be a noob right? Lol

Users who are viewing this thread