5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram Tailgate liner suggestions

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My Ram did not come with a bed liner, but I found one locally and installed just the tailgate liner. The bed liner itself was from another '21 Ram that the owner got a spray in, so I know the liner is for my truck. I noticed that the lower center bowed up 1" immediately after installation. My neighbor works at a dealership, so he took this liner and replaced it with another new one. I installed it and the bottom center bowed up 1".

Is this common with the Ram tailgate liner? I have a few options and I'm looking for suggestions. The obvious option is to get a spray in bed liner, which will also address the tailgate issue, but I don't want to spend the $$ on that quite yet. A second option is to get an aftermarket liner that sits flat on the tailgate rather than having all of the ridges, but will it lay flat? Lastly, I have the tailgate liner screws for an older Silverado that has a sealer built into the self tapping screws. I was ok drilling into my Silverado tailgate to install the factory liner, but I'm trying not to do that on the Ram. Why? I don't know. Would you guys just screw it down and be done with it?

Attachments

• 20210307_100403.jpg
    20210307_100403.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
FYI

see post #3
strongly recommend the Duraliner, attaches vis existing screws, heavy duty. Weathertech is a little light weight but has a nice appearance, plus it is held on partially with a glue strip and velcro.

Weathertech picture and explanation.

Last edited:

Sjblanar07

Reaction score
Where are you located? I'm South Central PA. I have a factory liner laying around...

dbark

Reaction score
FYI

see post #3
strongly recommend the Duraliner, attaches vis existing screws, heavy duty. Weathertech is a little light weight but has a nice appearance, plus it is held on partially with a glue strip and velcro.

Did your Duraliner come with hardware? I was under the impression that it used the existing tailgate screws. I ordered one from buyautotruckaccessories.com and they called me this morning and said they had the liner but not the hardware, I told her to ship it anyway but she said she wasn't sure if she could, they haven't given me a final answer yet.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Weathertech is a little light weight but has a nice appearance, plus it is held on partially with a glue strip and velcro.

I had the weathertech liner on a previous truck and found that it fit well. I wouldn't drag something heavy across it though because it's partially secured by velcro.

If you're wanting to protect the tailgate I'd go with a spray in liner. If you're just wanting a cover for looks then the Weathertech would fit the bill well. And you wouldn't have to drive screws into your (aluminum) tailgate.

bskubon

Reaction score
Did the Duraliner as well, no complaints, liked that didn’t have to drill any holes

Jako

Reaction score
Did your Duraliner come with hardware? I was under the impression that it used the existing tailgate screws. I ordered one from buyautotruckaccessories.com and they called me this morning and said they had the liner but not the hardware, I told her to ship it anyway but she said she wasn't sure if she could, they haven't given me a final answer yet.
In my post I should have said "existing screw holes". It has been a while since I installed the cover but from what I remember the screws are replaced into the existing holes. The Duraliner is set up to take a beating. If you are
dropping heavy things (concrete, rocks and such) it will protect the tailgate and things will slide easier than other materials. I have loaded lumber for a 10X12 shed and the mat is as good as new.

My apologies over leaving out "existing screws holes", CRS disease accompanying my old age.

dbark

Reaction score
In my post I should have said "existing screw holes". It has been a while since I installed the cover but from what I remember the screws are replaced into the existing holes. The Duraliner is set up to take a beating. If you are
dropping heavy things (concrete, rocks and such) it will protect the tailgate and things will slide easier than other materials. I have loaded lumber for a 10X12 shed and the mat is as good as new.

My apologies over leaving out "existing screws holes", CRS disease accompanying my old age.

Thanks for the info, since this is the only place I can find one I asked them to send it without hardware and I will figure it out, not sure if they will or not.

Jako

Reaction score
CRS is real!

Thanks for the info, since this is the only place I can find one I asked them to send it without hardware and I will figure it out, not sure if they will or not.
The tailgate mat bolts have a "shoulder" on them.
1620251234520.png

Not the exact bolt but extremely similar. The holes on the tailgate mat are large. I believe you could find plastic washers that would create a "shoulder" similar to the OEM tailgate screws and use the Ram's bolts.
Best of luck.

Jako

Reaction score
It took me a long time to find the tailgate mat and the website left something to be desired as finding the correct mat. There was one similar on ebay.

dbark

Reaction score
It took me a long time to find the tailgate mat and the website left something to be desired as finding the correct mat. There was one similar on ebay.

Thanks, I'll try Ebay for that brand

Users who are viewing this thread