5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram sales drop to 3rd place for the 1st Quarter

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That report is a little misleading also , look at the bottom where it says they combined full size and mid size Chevy’s the Ram and Ford are only full size .

That's not true. If you combine GM + Chevy full size, it takes first place this quarter. See the TFL Truck episode.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's not true. If you combine GM + Chevy full size, it takes first place this quarter. See the TFL Truck episode.
Correct. But based on nameplate he was only referring to Chevrolets compared to Ram and F-series. His statement is correct. It's only when you combine both GM full-size platforms do you get into second place, as you've noted.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 031506 miles.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can’t believe how crappy the RAM Resale value is. Last year my 2014 GMC I received $30K for it on trade. I have offer from Dealer for my 2019 RAM today for $31K. Crazy. This was my case on my 2008 RAM I owned too 12 years ago. GM Trucks by far keep their value the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ram tends to have better rebates on the front end. I only paid 35K for my 2014 Ram Sport Quad Cab and got 22K on trade in after 4.5 years and 50,000 miles. I thought that was pretty good basically costed me 13K to drive the truck over those 4.5 years.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Ram tends to have better rebates on the front end. I only paid 35K for my 2014 Ram Sport Quad Cab and got 22K on trade in after 4.5 years and 50,000 miles. I thought that was pretty good basically costed me 13K to drive the truck over those 4.5 years.
That is pretty good yes. And if you get a bigger discount on the ft end, stands to reason that resale would be less. The June deals from last year destroyed resale.

silver billet

Reaction score
Correct. But based on nameplate he was only referring to Chevrolets compared to Ram and F-series. His statement is correct. It's only when you combine both GM full-size platforms do you get into second place, as you've noted.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 031506 miles.

The guy I was responding to, said they combined midsize with fullsize. That's not true, they're just combining chevy and gmc fullsize, midsize is not part of the combining like he said it was. So his statement is incorrect, not correct like you said it was :)

AbitaPro

Reaction score
Reliability is an issue with all trucks to one degree or another. You can sit here and debate this topic forever but reliability is the main data point with respect to resale value. I cant for the life of me understand how a company like Toyota who has more recalls than any other company in the world can retain resale value.

Just when was the Tundra body style last upgraded, 2006! Since then hasn’t been, if you bough a Tundra the first year they came out, the truck is basically the same today, with only cosmetic changes. So each year they continue to improve reliability on the same truck, after a few years, you get the bugs out, and reliability improves.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
sorry I misread that it says they added medium duty trucks to chevys not midsize , my apologies for the confusion
In all fairness I believe Ram sales report's also include mediums and ProMaster.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 031517 miles.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I found this article from Pickup Trucks.com (July, 2018) regarding a study that looked at the transaction prices of 4.1 million used, three year-old pickup trucks. The study found that the lowest depreciation model was the Toyota Tacoma (-18.2%) followed by the Toyota Tundra (-22.2%) at the end of three years.

This was followed by GMC Sierra 1500 (-26.7%), F-150 (-32.4%), and Ram 1500 (-33.2%).

When you look at the average transaction prices of the study, there's a significant piece of information missing. Since price varies considerably across trim lines it isn't known how many stripped-down entry models versus high-end models are in the mix. Additionally, there's no information on the initial transaction price (when new), which would include manufacturers discounts. The discount value could be a significant factor. I doubt the study could discover the initial transaction price of 4.1 million individual trucks, so I believe they are basing the 3-year average against the manufacturers retail prices.

[https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2018/06/which-used-pickups-are-the-best-bargain.html]

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 031517 miles.

Attachments

• 3-year truck depreciation from average.jpg
    3-year truck depreciation from average.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 11

Fatherof3

Reaction score
I believe you’re right about that , I paid 44,000 for my 2016 Rebel and when I traded it in almost 4 years later they gave me 35500 so I don’t think that’s too bad at all . Which means I did better than the Tundra .

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I believe you’re right about that , I paid 44,000 for my 2016 Rebel and when I traded it in almost 4 years later they gave me 35500 so I don’t think that’s too bad at all . Which means I did better than the Tundra .
That's exceptional. You must've had low miles on it and in near pristine condition.

I traded a 2010 Big Horn which went for $38xxx new and had 104,000 miles and in excellent condition (new tires, even) and got $21,000+.

Of course, local conditions in the used car market can vary through the year and geographically.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 031534 miles.

2020BigHorn

Reaction score
Where I live, only the Chevy and ram have good incentives. If the quadcab 4x4 f150 had been in my price range, i would have gone with that, just due to the aluminum body and the fact i live in the rustbelt and want to keep my truck for 10+ years.

The only reason I didn’t get the Silverado is because of the looks. Every Chevy truck in my price range and at the same trim level as my ram (custom vs bighorn) had v8’s, better infotainment systems, proximity unlock, bigger and better rims and tires, and more standard features that i preferred. I just couldn’t get over the looks of the new Silverado and didn’t need any of those better features. I loved my previous 2014 Chevy 1500 too, so i have no problem with owning them, but man do i think the new body style is super ugly.

So my point is, if it wasn’t for looks i would have chosen the Chevy. If the Ford had the same rebates, that would have been my first choice.

That being said, I do love my truck, i think it’s the best looking truck out there right now, and plan on keeping it for 10 years as stated. This isn’t a dig on the ram, just my perspective as to why the ram dropped in sales.

SirLavidor

Reaction score
Lots of good discussion so I'll add my opinion. I switched from GM to Ram because of two factors that have both been said earlier. First the rebate on the Ram. When Ram took 2nd place it had a $12k rebate and Chevy didn't, that's huge. 2nd, the interior of the Chevy and GM, even in their highest trims, is like a Chevy Cruz compared to a BMW. The GM trucks just look cheap and feel cheap. Now that Chevy is giving the $12k rebate they are finally competitive to Ram again.

I did noticed sadly that the resale of the Ram still drops quickly. My 2019 was MSRP at $60k and is worth $38k according to Blue Book. But remember that until the 2019 model Chrysler had horrible reliability ratings and therefore sad resale value. I wouldn't touch them but then the 2019 Ram got high marks for reliability, placing in the top 10 for the first time in Chrysler's history.

So yeah, that's my opinion.

NHRoadking

Reaction score
Lots of good discussion so I'll add my opinion. I switched from GM to Ram because of two factors that have both been said earlier. First the rebate on the Ram. When Ram took 2nd place it had a $12k rebate and Chevy didn't, that's huge. 2nd, the interior of the Chevy and GM, even in their highest trims, is like a Chevy Cruz compared to a BMW. The GM trucks just look cheap and feel cheap. Now that Chevy is giving the $12k rebate they are finally competitive to Ram again.

I did noticed sadly that the resale of the Ram still drops quickly. My 2019 was MSRP at $60k and is worth $38k according to Blue Book. But remember that until the 2019 model Chrysler had horrible reliability ratings and therefore sad resale value. I wouldn't touch them but then the 2019 Ram got high marks for reliability, placing in the top 10 for the first time in Chrysler's history.

So yeah, that's my opinion.

Who rated the Ram in the top 10 for reliability?

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Besides the Ram 1500 being ranked second (4.0) only to Tundra (4,5) in reliability, I find two other observations worth noting.

First, the article is based on J.D. Power Reliability Studies which means three years of data, and the article is dated February of 2020, which should mean that 2019s are included. With problems noted with the DT early builds, this is a little surprising unless there was a very steep drop in reported problems somewhat later in the build. Production DTs started leaving the plant in March of 2018.

Another one is the GMC Sierra rated at 4th place, but the Silverado didn't even make it in the top twelve. I cannot think of two more similar trucks in design and platform than Sierra and Silverado, yet Silverado should of made the list and did not. With the Jeep Gladiator ranked 12th with a score of 2.5, the Silverado must be below that.

With Canyon ranked in 5th place and the Colorado ranked in 9th, it seems to bolster the belief that GMC versions have better reliability than Chevrolet versions.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 031570 miles.

silver billet

Reaction score
Honestly, that report just re-confirms my opinion on all these studies. None of them agree with eachother, and as was noted by Dusty there are severe red flags all across these things.

Bubba33

Reaction score
I would guess from it’s low reliability and fast depreciation, coupled with brand loyalty. I love my truck but when I bought it I had 4 different people say: why would you buy a dodge? Never had that reaction from any other vehicle I’ve purchased. I’m not loyal to a brand and this is actually my first full size and first American truck I’ve owned. I really enjoy it, only major regret is not getting passive entry. I don’t think it will stay 3rd especially if they get their reliability up ( perceived or other wise) I think a bette pricing model would help too as the MSRP for these trucks are hirer than needed. Most of the full-size market is. I think Ram really is just a few steps away from completely owns it’s market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How many times has a ram been the truck of the year . I know I bought a 14 bighorn and it was truck of the year. I think allot of people and you can tell the ones that don't know anything, talking bad about the ram, call it a dodge. There is no big reliability issue. 8 speed is one of the best transmissions ever . Im on my third ram with the 8 speed.

SirLavidor

Reaction score
Besides the Ram 1500 being ranked second (4.0) only to Tundra (4,5) in reliability, I find two other observations worth noting.

First, the article is based on J.D. Power Reliability Studies which means three years of data, and the article is dated February of 2020, which should mean that 2019s are included. With problems noted with the DT early builds, this is a little surprising unless there was a very steep drop in reported problems somewhat later in the build. Production DTs started leaving the plant in March of 2018.

Another one is the GMC Sierra rated at 4th place, but the Silverado didn't even make it in the top twelve. I cannot think of two more similar trucks in design and platform than Sierra and Silverado, yet Silverado should of made the list and did not. With the Jeep Gladiator ranked 12th with a score of 2.5, the Silverado must be below that.

With Canyon ranked in 5th place and the Colorado ranked in 9th, it seems to bolster the belief that GMC versions have better reliability than Chevrolet versions.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 031570 miles.

Yes, that is what I was saying, the 2019 models rated higher than Chrysler usually does. You can pick apart any study with innuendo but using the data is better than just using personal opinion without facts. All I'm saying is that in my opinion, I switched from Chevy to Ram partly because of the improved reliability, with the new transmissions specifically. Here are a few more articles on the subject, though off topic of the thread,

Users who are viewing this thread