5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram sales drop to 3rd place for the 1st Quarter

Brianziggy64

Reaction score
https://www.autoblog.com/2020/04/02/coronavirus-impacts-truck-sales/

Per this article, Ram dropped to 3rd place behind the other 2 manufacturers that are clearly lacking behind Ram’s superior style, interior and technology. The question is why? Are the Rams too pricey for the average guy? Or are there just more die hard Ford and Chevy buyers that will never switch from ”their” preferred brand?

I am not a brand loyalist as I will buy who gives me the best truck at the time for my money. That is of course subjective for each buyer. I think if buyers buy the best truck on the market then that keeps the automakers on their toes to keep upping their game. I bought my first Ram ever in 2013 and have been extremely happy with my truck ever since I drove it off the lot! I am planning to step up to a new Limited when the right deal comes along.

Cortesio

Reaction score
I’d say nothing that happens Q1 of 2020 can be indicative of any long term trends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
https://www.autoblog.com/2020/04/02/coronavirus-impacts-truck-sales/

Per this article, Ram dropped to 3rd place behind the other 2 manufacturers that are clearly lacking behind Ram’s superior style, interior and technology. The question is why? Are the Rams too pricey for the average guy? Or are there just more die hard Ford and Chevy buyers that will never switch from ”their” preferred brand?

I am not a brand loyalist as I will buy who gives me the best truck at the time for my money. That is of course subjective for each buyer. I think if buyers buy the best truck on the market then that keeps the automakers on their toes to keep upping their game. I bought my first Ram ever in 2013 and have been extremely happy with my truck ever since I drove it off the lot! I am planning to step up to a new Limited when the right deal comes along.
Same here. Bought the best truck (in my opinion) that I could find at that time.

Like you, I am not brand loyal. In a year or two, if I get another truck, it will be RAM, or whoever has the best truck available. Not sure why they dropped to third place though, they are still leaps and bounds ahead of anything from GM and Ford. More than likely it's the huge incentives they are offering right now due to COVID-19.

Cheers,

Kob0583

Reaction score
I would guess from it’s low reliability and fast depreciation, coupled with brand loyalty. I love my truck but when I bought it I had 4 different people say: why would you buy a dodge? Never had that reaction from any other vehicle I’ve purchased. I’m not loyal to a brand and this is actually my first full size and first American truck I’ve owned. I really enjoy it, only major regret is not getting passive entry. I don’t think it will stay 3rd especially if they get their reliability up ( perceived or other wise) I think a bette pricing model would help too as the MSRP for these trucks are hirer than needed. Most of the full-size market is. I think Ram really is just a few steps away from completely owns it’s market.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm sure there's an effect from incentives. Around here the Chevy/GM dealers have been offering some really staggering deals on Silverado/Sierra. I have an acquaintance that works for the local Chevy dealer and he said that a lot of customers had a negative reaction to the new Silverado and walked away or walked away in a Colorado. At the time he said there was "a big incentive package coming," which I think was in early February.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 031506 miles.

MBORO19RAM

Reaction score
I can’t believe how crappy the RAM Resale value is. Last year my 2014 GMC I received $30K for it on trade. I have offer from Dealer for my 2019 RAM today for $31K. Crazy. This was my case on my 2008 RAM I owned too 12 years ago. GM Trucks by far keep their value the best.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Honestly, Q1 was a strong quarter. It's the beginning of Q2 that's taking a massive nose-dive.

Back in January and February especially, the economy was continuing growth and I'd say fleet sales is what keeps driving Ford. Meanwhile, GM has a bunch of new powertrains and they've been advertising the heck out of them....which is likely why they edged out Ram. Ram and Chevy are two brands that have been duking it out for 18 months or so, going back and forth in sales.

I bet the Q2 numbers will be the worst automakers have seen, possibly ever. That will tend to favor Ram since FCA has a history of doing the deepest discounts in the business.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can’t believe how crappy the RAM Resale value is. Last year my 2014 GMC I received $30K for it on trade. I have offer from Dealer for my 2019 RAM today for $31K. Crazy. This was my case on my 2008 RAM I owned too 12 years ago. GM Trucks by far keep their value the best.

Yeah, even in February before it all went to h*** in a wicker basket, 2020 Ram BigHorns with lots of options were leasing at 40% retained value @ 60 months, and I think it was low to mid 50s @ 48 months. That's atrocious.

But, I guess on the flip side if you're somebody who leases and then buys it at the end, you'll be able to buy it cheap!

chrisnack

Reaction score
Owned 4 Ford's before this 2020 RAM. Got the RAM because it had the best interior and was 10k cheaper. Enjoy the ride with the air suspension. Never had a single issue with any of my other trucks, hope the RAM is the same.

If Ford redoes the interior and gets it up to par, i would probably go back to Ford. But we'll see after a few years of ownership on the RAM and hoping I have zero issues with mine.

pensfan

Reaction score
The Classic seemed to be in short supply lately. Not many on the lots around Pittsburgh other than Express Quad Cabs with Pentastar engines. If they would break out sales by the Classic and DT, then we would see what is going on. I have a feeling the new style is not selling as well as we are being led to believe.

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Reliability is an issue with all trucks to one degree or another. You can sit here and debate this topic forever but reliability is the main data point with respect to resale value. I cant for the life of me understand how a company like Toyota who has more recalls than any other company in the world can retain resale value.

Boston

Reaction score
The Classic seemed to be in short supply lately. Not many on the lots around Pittsburgh other than Express Quad Cabs with Pentastar engines. If they would break out sales by the Classic and DT, then we would see what is going on. I have a feeling the new style is not selling as well as we are being led to believe.

Classic availability is spotty and regional. Some places it’s almost phased out. Others you can buy all levels inc Laramies off the lot.

My guess, it’s not got long til it goes. If there is a major do over if the HD cab then the classic will go.

thetalonguy

Reaction score
Yeah, even in February before it all went to h*** in a wicker basket, 2020 Ram BigHorns with lots of options were leasing at 40% retained value @ 60 months, and I think it was low to mid 50s @ 48 months. That's atrocious.

But, I guess on the flip side if you're somebody who leases and then buys it at the end, you'll be able to buy it cheap!
Sorry, just want a verify what you’re saying.

You’re quoting ‘20 Ram Leases at 4 and 5 years?
...Leases on 4 or 5 year terms?
Buy it cheap on a 4 or 5 year lease?

chrisnack

Reaction score
Lease buyout doesn’t change with market it’s set at the time of the lease. I’d have to look at what mine is but based on the numbers in this thread it will be higher than actual market value.

My King Ranch was worth 42k when I traded it in to get the RAM. That was a 2018 with 31k miles.

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Said it here somewhere earlier saw a lot of new Chev in my parking lot at work and when I talked to most they stated liked the Ram better but the finance on the Chev was fitting in their budgets better. It’s got nothing to do with personal opinions on reliability simple how much monthly outlays

Narg

Reaction score
Easy to figure out. GM beat Ford a couple years ago in one quarter. How? Incentives. RAMs incentives were killer late last year. Those incentive went away in 2020. So lower sales. See?

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Easy to figure out. GM beat Ford a couple years ago in one quarter. How? Incentives. RAMs incentives were killer late last year. Those incentive went away in 2020. So lower sales. See?
Right on the mark!

And, by the way, incentives depress resale values which is why retained values for many models vary from year-to-year.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 031506 miles.

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That report is a little misleading also , look at the bottom where it says they combined full size and mid size Chevy’s the Ram and Ford are only full size .

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That report is a little misleading also , look at the bottom where it says they combined full size and mid size Chevy’s the Ram and Ford are only full size .
I have a neighbor that sells Chevrolets, and according to him Colorado sales have been almost just as high as Silverado.

Regards,
Dusty

Miked513

Reaction score
As far as reliability goes, I had a 10’ Sierra that had the dash crack in multiple places, coolant lines leak at the crimped areas & 3 door handles completely separate from the body due to a cheap riv-nut design holding them in, all before 50k... then my next was a 12’ tundra, cam tower oil leaks, 3 door lock motors failed, window gaskets cracked and tore off, blower motor went out, power fold mirror motor failure, mirror puddle lights staying on constantly, constant battery corrosion even with protection, steering rack bushings prematurely failed, all before 60k... so yeah, reliability in the others ain’t all it’s cracked up to be. Biggest let down was my tundra. It was awesome looking with a lot of power but too many headaches. Best part about it was the resale value but at the same time, I probably spent more fixing it than I gained in the value when sold. 21k for 12’ with 92k mi. on it... don’t see many others holding like that. I’m just crossing my fingers for the RAM to hold up so I can finally find out where I belong. It sure is a nice ride.

Users who are viewing this thread