5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RAM Power RunningBoards

Jray22

Reaction score
Hi all,
I recently picked up a 22’ Laramie with the Ram (amp) factory installed running boards. I’m looking to replace these to a fixed style. I hate how low they sit and I’m kinda a tall dude so they’re pretty useless, I still need side steps due to the kid/wife.

I haven’t looked underneath yet as it’s still cold here. How big a PITA are these to remove? I know I’ll lose functionality of the “Running Board App” but other than that is there anything to be concerned about?

Thanks!

abranchizio

Reaction score
Where are you located? I will work out some kind of trade with you? I am in Texas.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I recently picked up a 22’ Laramie with the Ram (amp) factory installed running boards.
Should be easy to remove since you are going from power to regular. Just wrap up any connectors left, there should be a cable running to I think the ODB2 port, you can remove that.
The steps themselves should be 4-5 bolts per side, be careful how strong you torque on the new steps don't want to break the mounts.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi all,
I recently picked up a 22’ Laramie with the Ram (amp) factory installed running boards. I’m looking to replace these to a fixed style. I hate how low they sit and I’m kinda a tall dude so they’re pretty useless, I still need side steps due to the kid/wife.

I haven’t looked underneath yet as it’s still cold here. How big a PITA are these to remove? I know I’ll lose functionality of the “Running Board App” but other than that is there anything to be concerned about?

Thanks!
I’m 6’, I think you should give it some time and maybe you’ll get used to them? I built my truck and went with the power steps. Not sure I would again, but there are a few nice things about them, they sit up higher if you ever go off road? One thing I like about normal steps are, they give the body a little more protection from rock and road debris, saving the paint and lower body? I’m sure someone would do a trade with you. Good luck in whatever you decide👍🏻

Jray22

Reaction score
Update!- I will be removing my power fold running boards and going with Go Rhino RB20s.

The power folds will be for sale once swapped, in case anyone is interested. Due to work/vacation etc. i probably will not be swapping until after Easter.

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
Update!- I will be removing my power fold running boards and going with Go Rhino RB20s.

The power folds will be for sale once swapped, in case anyone is interested. Due to work/vacation etc. i probably will not be swapping until after Easter.
You'll need to remove all the wiring and the control module for someone to be able to install them on their truck.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I just installed Raptor Series running boards (see my avatar pic). Very good build quality and good price for the quality. Even in northern IL you'll want aluminum instead of steel for rust prevention.

Users who are viewing this thread