5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram / Mopar Bed Utility Ram Installation

George Bednar

Reaction score
Hs anyone \used the RZX rivit nut gun to install the rivnuts used to anchor the bed rails in their 1500? If so how did it work? Any other installation tips would be appreciated.

WW2

Reaction score
Its definitely not the greatest fastening system. I considered purchasing that gun but ended up using the the bolt with 2 nuts to get them to spread, otherwise they spin very easily. Its kind of unfortunate as I want to have a liner sprayed but am afraid if I remove the rails, I will have issues with the rivit nuts upon re-installation.

George Bednar

Reaction score
Thanks for input WW2. I spun 2 yesterday and some of the other started to pull out when I was putting one of the rails on so I just stopped to think and regroup. Kind of lost now and was hoping that gun would work on the spun rivnuts.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
FYI, not sure if this thread helps your situation. Best wishes.

George Bednar

Reaction score
Thanks Jako. I will check it out. I must not know how to search this site properly as I could not find any info pertaining to this.

Jako

Reaction score
Thanks Jako. I will check it out. I must not know how to search this site properly as I could not find any info pertaining to this.
Search is not you. I often use google with 5th generation forum and the topic.

Rob Ram

Reaction score
I also just tried to install the rails following the instructions and spun all 3 rivnuts that I tried. Used a high precision torque wrench so I thought I would be OK.

The instructions are incorrect or the rivnuts are not manufactured properly. I just installed the OEM power running boards and the OEM rear under seat storage and those went good.

Oh well, I didn’t think installing bed rails would be so difficult!

RJS

Reaction score
I also just tried to install the rails following the instructions and spun all 3 rivnuts that I tried. Used a high precision torque wrench so I thought I would be OK.

The instructions are incorrect or the rivnuts are not manufactured properly. I just installed the OEM power running boards and the OEM rear under seat storage and those went good.

Check out the method (my post #8) in the video referenced above for installing the Rivnuts. I'll post the link again as this method works great, it just takes a bit longer than the installation tool but the nuts won't spin when installed this way as you can tell when they are tight.

Jako

Reaction score

What was your torque setting?

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So here's an angle I don't hear anyone mentioning.

If you stick the rivnuts in the holes and put the rail on top, then run the bolts in, you have stationary friction on both sides of the rivnuts, so less likely to spin. That's what the instructions actually show.

But if you try to put a rivnut in individually without the rail, you only have a tiny ring of stationary friction on the backside, so more likely to spin. How many of y'all are trying to do that?

Sure, the (expensive) tool properly used will do a perfect job.
Bolt, nut, oversize nut, and three wrenches can do the same thing.
And the torque isn't that critical, just need to mash/expand, 7.5 foot pounds is screwdriver handle range.

Rob Ram

Reaction score
Thanks RJS for the video link. That method should be shown in the instructions, or they should recommend the special tool to install.

For step 2 in the instructions, I used 6.6 ft lb on my torque wrench. Step 2 says to install the bolt to 6.6 ft lb without the rail (to spread the nut), then reverse the bolt out, and install the rail with bolts tightened to 7.7 ft lb. I now have 3 rounded (formerly hex) holes.

This turned out to be my most difficult add on to my new truck!

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

22Ram1500InAR

Reaction score
Connecting these threads.

Users who are viewing this thread