5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram map update

Pappy78

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Ram 1500 limited with the 12" screen. The truck was manufactured in 2020 as a 2021 model and was told by the dealer that there are no map updates.Has anyone else had this problem,and if so,a solution

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is a Map update. I purchased and installed it on my 2021 Laramie built in Nov 2020.

Malodave

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They release new updates every year or two and charge something like $100 for the USB you use to install it (the maps are on the USB.)

They will be a year or so behind the year of the release.

jeff42899

Reaction score
I installed a map update on my 21 Laramie a few weeks ago. Process was easy but the update was highly disappointing. We built our house two years ago. The development opened 2 years before that. None of it was on the map. I wouldn't have bothered if Android Auto would go full screen but that doesn't work on the UConnect 4 and there are no plans to facilitate it either.

Kiwiaudio

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Ram 1500 limited with the 12" screen. The truck was manufactured in 2020 as a 2021 model and was told by the dealer that there are no map updates.Has anyone else had this problem,and if so,a solution
Id be surprised if there was no map update available to you. My 24 came with TTNAV T.28.0.0 dated 9/15/2022 which is almost a year and a half old but supposedly current. This would be an update to you though.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This Stellantis site allows you to download Uconnect 5 Tom Tom map updates for free.

The version currently on my truck, purchased new 6 months ago, is v2023.03. The newest version shown for download is v2023.9 You should be able to go to Settings/Navigation/About to see the version loaded in your truck.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This Stellantis site allows you to download Uconnect 5 Tom Tom map updates for free.

The version currently on my truck, purchased new 6 months ago, is v2023.03. The newest version shown for download is v2023.9 You should be able to go to Settings/Navigation/About to see the version loaded in your truck.

If you were responding to the OP, he has a 2021, so Uconnect 4, so no free updates.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Id be surprised if there was no map update available to you. My 24 came with TTNAV T.28.0.0 dated 9/15/2022 which is almost a year and a half old but supposedly current. This would be an update to you though.
Completely different navigation units and brands and not compatible. This section is for people with HERE oem nav units, not Tom Tom like yours is.

ram813ltd

Reaction score
i think 19-21 are the only years you have to pay for an update.

Last edited:

ram813ltd

Reaction score

that's great for 22 and later but sorry you have tomtom. i'll stick to android auto google maps...always up to date

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
that's great for 22 and later but sorry you have tomtom. i'll stick to android auto google maps...always up to date

I guess I'm not sorry I have TomTom as I've not had any issues with it failing to get me where I wanted to go. I can also use google maps but I've not seen any advantage to it over TomTom.

Merlin

Reaction score
I used the factory navigation once in 2019 when I got the truck and it wasn't as good as google maps back then, and I don't see a point in paying 150 bucks to upgrade it when I still have google maps or any other web based app on my phone, or my wife or kids phones. The update I have to install is still going to be outdated,

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think people often place too much value on getting updated maps. Roads just don't change that often and the odds are very low that you will encounter a change that is significant enough to leave you lost. On rare occasions, I've had the GPS tell me to take an exit that was permanently closed, but the new replacement exit was close and obvious. I've driven on new bypass highways when the GPS showed me driving off road until the new section of highway met up with the old highway. These things are rare and still very easy to figure out just by looking at a road sign.

Miyagido

Reaction score
I want to sum this all up and make sure everyone is on the same page here. Please tell me if I am incorrect with any of this information. There is no way to update maps OTA (over the air) or wirelessly. Rather, we need to go to This Website and enter our vehicle information in order to receive the updated map file, then unzip it and move the unzipped file to a USB Drive. Then plug that USB Drive into the USB slot on the vehicle, which will automatically begin updating the Navigation System's maps. Have I left anything out, or given any incorrect information here?

The map updates are very important, as I moved to a new area that has been rapidly built up for the past 3 years, and my brand new 2024 Ram 1500 that I purchased 2 days ago has maps that were from early 2022. This has led to many POIs (points of interest) not being available on the map. The major issue that affects me every single day is that my neighborhood was built after the latest map update on my vehicle. My Home was built in 2023, so the vehicle does not know how to get to my house, nor does it have any data on my actual address. Update your maps, people!

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I want to sum this all up and make sure everyone is on the same page here. Please tell me if I am incorrect with any of this information. There is no way to update maps OTA (over the air) or wirelessly. Rather, we need to go to This Website and enter our vehicle information in order to receive the updated map file, then unzip it and move the unzipped file to a USB Drive. Then plug that USB Drive into the USB slot on the vehicle, which will automatically begin updating the Navigation System's maps. Have I left anything out, or given any incorrect information here?

The map updates are very important, as I moved to a new area that has been rapidly built up for the past 3 years, and my brand new 2024 Ram 1500 that I purchased 2 days ago has maps that were from early 2022. This has led to many POIs (points of interest) not being available on the map. The major issue that affects me every single day is that my neighborhood was built after the latest map update on my vehicle. My Home was built in 2023, so the vehicle does not know how to get to my house, nor does it have any data on my actual address. Update your maps, people!
This section is for people with 2019-2021 (UC4) they do not get free map updates.
You with a 2022+ have UC5 and can update your maps via the website\flash drive.

Users who are viewing this thread