5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram Limited 2021

Ramlimited4722

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Ram Limited, that has auto running boards. The running board on the passenger side will not deploy or retract all of the time. I have been to the Dodge dealership in Cedar City, Utah. At that time the running board work, prior to the appointment the service writer did witness the problems I have, running board not consistently deploying or retracting. He said they need it to not function not the time of the appointment. Four weeks later the running board has gotten worse, and now the dealership is saying they may not be able to fix the problem as they have not seen this in a new truck. I am open to any help getting some ones attention!

redneck

Reaction score
i would tell them lets try replacing them since its under warranty. if that doesnt work look at programing. is fca this cheep with warranty stuff? gmc would fix anything i took in to them while under warranty ! tires ,battery's squeaks rattles etc...

BigD

Reaction score
I would never get a limited even if I could afford it. Way to much crap on it to break. I would never get power running boards, sunroofs, 12 inch touch screen, air shocks, or the diesel. All plagued with problems. Especially in cold weather for the air shocks & running boards. The 12 inch screen is well documented that it freezes up. The 4th gen diesel was discontinued it was so bad. Like my uncle always said, the more crap u got, the more things u got to go wrong with it. Plus the fact that u can buy 2 Big Horns, damn near, for the price of 1 Limited! Not worth it imo.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I would never get a limited even if I could afford it. Way to much crap on it to break. I would never get power running boards, sunroofs, 12 inch touch screen, air shocks, or the diesel. All plagued with problems. Especially in cold weather for the air shocks & running boards. The 12 inch screen is well documented that it freezes up. The 4th gen diesel was discontinued it was so bad. Like my uncle always said, the more crap u got, the more things u got to go wrong with it. Plus the fact that u can buy 2 Big Horns, damn near, for the price of 1 Limited! Not worth it imo.
To each their own.
We love our Ltd, nothing has fx and if it makes her happy then it's fine.

I would have preferred a level 2 BH or a Laramie for me but I'm just cheap. If you want payload or a work truck then of course don't buy a Ltd.

It was one hel- of a lot cheaper than getting her a Lexus, Denali or an Escalade...

The Ltd 5th gen is the absolute nicest vehicle we've ever owned (course that all depends on what you've bought). It did test drive hands down better than anything I could get her to sit in...

Turaco

Reaction score
I don’t understand why what you would or would not buy is relevant to this thread. If you want to get a Big Horn, just get it and enjoy it brother. Personally I would never get a BH and I love the power running boards. That’s why there’s different trims/options.

I have a 2021 Ram Limited, that has auto running boards. The running board on the passenger side will not deploy or retract all of the time. I have been to the Dodge dealership in Cedar City, Utah. At that time the running board work, prior to the appointment the service writer did witness the problems I have, running board not consistently deploying or retracting. He said they need it to not function not the time of the appointment. Four weeks later the running board has gotten worse, and now the dealership is saying they may not be able to fix the problem as they have not seen this in a new truck. I am open to any help getting some ones attention!
Not sure I’m following you. Was the tech able to replicate the issue at the time of service? If it was working fine at that point in time then there’s nothing to fix as it was working fine. If it wasn’t working fine and dealership is refusing to do anything about it then that’s a different issue. The dealer gets paid for any warranty work so it is in their interest to replace a malfunctioning power running board, keep that in mind.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I totally agree with @redneck. Just have the dealer to replace the f-ing running boards and provide you with great customer service...not that complicated. Sometimes you just have to get LOUD for them to hear you ;) I had power boards on my 19 for 2 years and never a hiccup. Have them on my 21 and working great as well. You'd NEVER catch me buying a Big Horn:oops:

broken_vet

Reaction score
Sounds like you're a good candidate for a tricycle. Not that many parts to break.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Ouch.
Some folk just don't like fancy stuff, I get that, but boy its nice when it is working well.
Kinda' like uhh, computers, big screen tv's, keurigs and other hi tech stuff. Sure some of it breaks but I won't voluntarily go back to party lines, silent movies and a cast iron pot over a wood fire, thanks.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Just walk, to ensure nothing mechanical breaks down (except your knees).
What's your point?

ShortStack

Reaction score
The dealership should be checking the relays, wiring and the running board. Talk to the Service Dept Manager - nobody else. Tell him everything that
has happened and the name, date and time (if you can remember) of the person who told you "we never seen one broken so we can't fix it".
Tell them that you also have the number to FCS Dealership Complaints (if if you don't - easy enough to get)
I have been dealing with people in hundreds of businesses for over 40 years. When they see you are going NOWHERE then they get the job done.
Besides - the dealership does make money from the work - just not as much as non-warranty work (my son worked at a dealership).

I know how to deal with people - had a Ford Fusion with bad heads. One conversation with dealer. One conversation with Ford. Fixed at dealer the next day with appointment made by Ford.

Best of luck. Lest us know what happens.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Check out my avatar, not much crap on this model, might suit you better 🥴

jmcdtucson

Reaction score
The dealer is full of crap. It's under warranty, they have to fix it. Can you reach out to FCA?

Users who are viewing this thread