5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram Leaks Images Of New Range Extended Ramcharger Model

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Ram Leaks Images Of New Range Extended Ramcharger Model​

New Extended Range Paradigm Breaker Shows Its Face...​

Screenshot-2023-11-06-at-8.15.56-PM-scaled.jpeg

We’re just hours away from the official unveiling of the updated 2025 Ram 1500 (DT). However, Ram accidentally released three images of another model, the Ram 1500 Ramcharger (formerly known as the REV XR) or the Range Extended Paradigm Breaker (REPB) pickup we have heard about, on their website ahead of schedule.

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
I was expecting a smaller engine than the 3.6 to charge the batteries. Maybe that's what it takes, though
I vaguely recall someone running the numbers a few years ago on another forum when there were first rumors of Ram coming out with a range extender.

If memory serves, it was something in the 120-150hp range needed to keep a battery at a steady state of charge under maximum half ton load conditions, and somewhere around 90-100hp to sustain under typical light loads. The discussion was just about holding a steady charge state, not about charging, so I don't know what the numbers would need to be to charge under the various load conditions.

Given the disparity between those figures and the purported updated 3.6 in this model, I'm interested to see Ram's solution, though my initial reaction is they're expecting the ICE to power the wheels at some point given the power of the 3.6, unless they've MASSIVELY over engineered it.

MarPar

Takes a MoPar to catch a MoPar
Reaction score
Grille looks like a GMC. Pass.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Grille looks like a GMC. Pass.
Mmmm...not to my eyes, and not according to today's photos. Yes, both grilles have a horizontal-bars theme, yes, both have three letters, but the similarities stop there. The Ram grille design is a more refined style, whereas GMC is trying so hard to be butch. The Ram grille is vertically shorter and tapers nicely into the horizontally-oriented headlights, whereas the GMC grille is very tall, has vertically-stacked headlights and those massive, C-shaped LED signature lights all the way outboard that give a Ford Super-Duty's huge, squared-off "C-clamp" LED signature lights a run for their money.
No way does that Ram grille look just like a GMC.

Ram-grille.jpg
GMC-grille.jpg

MarPar

Reaction score
Mmmm...not to my eyes, and not according to today's photos. Yes, both grilles have a horizontal-bars theme, yes, both have three letters, but the similarities stop there. The Ram grille design is a more refined style, whereas GMC is trying so hard to be butch. The Ram grille is vertically shorter and tapers nicely into the horizontally-oriented headlights, whereas the GMC grille is very tall, has vertically-stacked headlights and those massive, C-shaped LED signature lights all the way outboard that give a Ford Super-Duty's huge, squared-off "C-clamp" LED signature lights a run for their money.
No way does that Ram grille look just like a GMC.

View attachment 170686
View attachment 170685
I see what you are saying; but it's the Ram emblem up high and not in the middle of the grille that I do not like.

Like so :)

IMG_4081.jpg

More equidistant from top to bottom.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I expected a little more if I'm honest. This grill and headlights almost looks like a different trim within the same model year, if this came out as an option in 2019, I wouldn't have thought nothing about it. But I guess it works in our favor for all of those driving DT.1 trucks, as they won't look old, at least from the front.

The rear end is a different story, but apparently the one shown there is only for the Extended Range variant, normal ICE will have a conventional rear end, I.E. no lights on the tail gate. I would also love those interior updates, like the larger screens, gauges and that passenger screen to liven up the interior. Also, throw in a Hemi and we are good.

Last edited:

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I vaguely recall someone running the numbers a few years ago on another forum when there were first rumors of Ram coming out with a range extender.

If memory serves, it was something in the 120-150hp range needed to keep a battery at a steady state of charge under maximum half ton load conditions, and somewhere around 90-100hp to sustain under typical light loads. The discussion was just about holding a steady charge state, not about charging, so I don't know what the numbers would need to be to charge under the various load conditions.

Given the disparity between those figures and the purported updated 3.6 in this model, I'm interested to see Ram's solution, though my initial reaction is they're expecting the ICE to power the wheels at some point given the power of the 3.6, unless they've MASSIVELY over engineered it.
You have to consider that (1) they’ve already engineered that engine to fit, (2) it’s cheap to make more of something you’re already producing, and (3) it won’t make peak power here - rather, it will likely be tuned for maximum economy at a steady-state RPM - which means it may only produce the power needed.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Last edited:

SD Rebel

Reaction score

Based on that article I posted, no, there is electric motors powering the front and rear wheels, the 3.6L only supplies power to the battery....

"Most important, this is not a hybrid. Sure, it has both gasoline and electric motivators under all that sheetmetal, but only the electric motors can drive the axles. The 3.6-liter Pentastar is exclusively fitted to act as a generator for the battery pack, and there is no physical output from the engine that can turn the Ramcharger's wheels. For all intents and purposes (and importantly, compliance with government mandates), this is battery EV.

But don't worry, it's still a truck. In fact, with a max tow rating of 14,000 pounds (class V), it even out-pulls the outgoing gasoline-powered Ram 1500, which offers max trailering of just 12,750 pounds. That's paired with a 2,625-pound payload capacity. Even with that huge, heavy battery pack, this thing can haul a lot of mulch."

Also, the TRX is gone, but the RHO replaces it, essentially a TTI6 version of the TRX, same body, suspension and chassis. The TRX name will come back in the future if they can get a 700hp drivetrain in the truck, likely an hybrid or EV version.

Last edited:

El_Draque

Reaction score
I am shocked they are dropping the V8 so soon...guess my next truck will be a Ford or Chevy

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I am shocked they are dropping the V8 so soon...guess my next truck will be a Ford or Chevy

Does seem like the wrong move for a brand that built it's reputation on the Hemi V8. Even Ford, which has built it's reputation for over the last decade on Ecoboost engines, still offers the 5.0L V8, not to mention GM investing heavily on future V8 motors.

But the truth is the 5.7L is an old design that puts out too much emissions. The mpg isn't actually the issue, the Hurricane is only slightly more fuel efficient, but produces about half the emissions. Stellantis didn't want to invest in upgrading the Hemi, time will tell if that was a good decision.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The 3.6-liter Pentastar is exclusively fitted to act as a generator for the battery pack, and there is no physical output from the engine that can turn the Ramcharger's wheels. For all intents and purposes (and importantly, compliance with government mandates), this is battery EV.
If the vehicle has an gas engine running doing anything I fail to see how they could be allowed to call it an EV.
This should be against any federal mandates and this eget treated like a normal truck since it is still an ICE truck imo.

And what a choice, an gas engine vs diesel and one that's going to likely cause a bunch of emission. This is either a genius or completely stupid move, time will tell.
I wonder how much gas you are going to spend to get a tiny tiny charge into that big battery. Maybe extra 50 miles on a 23 gallon tank, that will surely save you money...

SD Rebel

Reaction score
If the vehicle has an gas engine running doing anything I fail to see how they could be allowed to call it an EV.
This should be against any federal mandates and this eget treated like a normal truck since it is still an ICE truck imo.

And what a choice, an gas engine vs diesel and one that's going to likely cause a bunch of emission. This is either a genius or completely stupid move, time will tell.
I wonder how much gas you are going to spend to get a tiny tiny charge into that big battery. Maybe extra 50 miles on a 23 gallon tank, that will surely save you money...

Probably skirting some sort of law, they made a huge point to show that the motor doesn't have any direct connection to the drivetrain, I think they said EV with a gasoline generator.

Not sure as well, hopefully will find out soon how practical this system will actually be.

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score

My guess is there's some regulation around what separates a PHEV from an EV in terms of Uncle Sam, and that separating line is whether the ICE propels the vehicle or only charges the battery.

I vaguely recall there being a hullabaloo back in 2010 or so when it was discovered that the Chevy Volt's ICE did in fact drive the wheels in certain circumstances, and that Chevy then stopped referring to it as an EV and started referring to it as a PHEV.

MarPar

Reaction score
Gasoline-electric. Kind of like the trains that are diesel-electric :rolleyes:

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Probably skirting some sort of law, they made a huge point to show that the motor doesn't have any direct connection to the drivetrain, I think they said EV with a gasoline generator.

Not sure as well, hopefully will find out soon how practical this system will actually be.
will Cali shut the door on them, gas generators are being ban in the state lol

Users who are viewing this thread