5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram Leak

Stony0604

Reaction score
Welp, I think I finally fell victim to the dreaded water leak and my RF hub drowned. Truck is dead in the water (Pun intended), and waiting on the tow truck now. I called Ram and they said that it should be considered a "related repair" if it indeed was the 3rd brake light leaking that is still under the extended warranty they issued. I'll let you know if they end up covering the costs for everything.

Stony0604

Reaction score
Well, first situation... the tow company hit my deck post with my truck as they were pulling it out so we're not off to a great start 🤦‍♂️
I know that isn't Ram's fault, I'm just venting lol

Stony0604

Reaction score
Alright, just got off the phone with the dealership. They confirmed the leak through the 3rd brake light, but I also suffered from the dreaded slider window crack. According to the service department, both would be covered under their respective warranty as my truck is one of the "lucky" ones that got covered for the window crack as well.

I've had some funny things happen leading up to this, that all came full circle and made total sense to me now, so I will share in the hopes that some of you guys can maybe catch this in your trucks before it completely dies and get it resolved without being stranded:

1. Bed light always seemed to go out on one side. Replaced the bulb, then it would die shortly after. (didn't bother me, so ignored it)
2. Random stain on the ceiling above back seats in corners (Thought maybe kids drink splashed up, but now I'm thinking it's from the leak)
3. Battery died about 3 months ago after sitting for a couple of days at an airport. (Blamed it on the cold and thought battery was just getting old as a quick jump start resolved this and haven't had any other issue until now)
4. Truck would tell me the "key fob has left the vehicle" since that initial dead battery, but would still run and start up fine so I just ignored it thinking "older truck, acting goofy since the battery died that one time". (Starting to now think that was the early signs of the RF hub failing).
5. Nasty smell, like spilled milk. (Blamed my kid for spilling milk, as it coincidentally started after a trip to McDonalds. I now believe that was the electrical components starting to fry and owe my son an apology)
6. No power at all. No response from keys, no dash lights. Nothing. Replaced the battery (going back to the thought that it was just old), and got dash lights and interior lights, but no power to start button and wouldn't start at all, didn't even crank.

I'm still waiting for the tech to open the truck up and actually take a deep look, but so far all signs are pointing to the common issue of water leak messing up the electrical components behind the back seats.

Last edited:

cerbo

Reaction score
see if you can find out what years they corrected (if at all) the light and the window frame. Or are they replacing with the same faulty parts? Thanks and good luck.

Stony0604

Reaction score
see if you can find out what years they corrected (if at all) the light and the window frame. Or are they replacing with the same faulty parts? Thanks and good luck.
I'll see what I can find

M3forged

Reaction score
Hopefully it all works out for you! I'd be interested in what you find out as we'll. I've read through alot of these but can't seem to narrow down what year models this effects. Anyone know? Also as a precaution should I just put a bead of silicone around the 3rd brake light or does the leak start elsewhere?

cerbo

Reaction score
Hopefully it all works out for you! I'd be interested in what you find out as we'll. I've read through alot of these but can't seem to narrow down what year models this effects. Anyone know? Also as a precaution should I just put a bead of silicone around the 3rd brake light or does the leak start elsewhere?
it s not only the light, but the rear window itself in some cases and even the shark fin antenna possibly. I ran the clear window seal that was recommended here along the light, fin, and top of rear window frame. You can t see it but I was that unsure about water intrusion protection because of the history.

Stony0604

Reaction score
Welp, got the truck back today. They replaced the RF hub, changed out the 3rd brake light, and the back window is on back order, so I'll have to take it back in, in about a month to have it replaced. All of it was covered under warranty. I did learn I also have the famous manifold exhaust leak, but that seems easy enough to fix myself since that warranty is gone and they quoted me $2300 for it! The light was replaced with part # 68298380AH, but I'm not sure if that's an upgraded part, or just a direct replacement of the original.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I can’t speak for the CHMSL or shark fin. But the rear window design was changed somewhere in early MY22. It definitely affects all ‘21s and prior, but is fairly rare with the ‘22’s.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is why, back when I bad my 2020 Limited, I took the 3rd brake light out and replaced the seal with a better one. Wouldn't have solved a back window issue, obviously, but she never leaked up to the day I traded her in for my TRX anyway.

I never did like the idea of silicone/caulk/etc. on it. Installed some LED "bulbs" while I was at it too.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did learn I also have the famous manifold exhaust leak, but that seems easy enough to fix myself since that warranty is gone...
How many miles are on the truck? Isn't the manifold issue covered under an emissions warranty? Or power train warranty?

Str8Cracker

Reaction score
I’m curious about the millage as well. My 21 just had both manifolds and gaskets replaced under the powertrain warranty last week.

cerbo

Reaction score
and did they improve these manifolds at any year?

Users who are viewing this thread