5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram Laramie from Chevy Silverado

2019 Laramie

Reaction score
Just bought Billet Silver Laramie with 18 inch wheels bench seat (mistake) 12 inch screen (great) 3.92 ratio (questioning that with 26 gallon tank). Moved from a trouble Free Chevy Z71 LTZ from 2017 to get rear coil suspension and UConnect.
Dislikes:
1. There is 5 inches less front leg room. Ram gave too much to the back and not enough to the front.

2. Initial gas mileage with 3.92 RAR is 13 mpg no load one driver. Horrible range with 26 gallon no e torque 5.7 HEMI

3. Rear step not as good a solution as Chevy or Ford for old guys getting into and out of the bed.

4.. Have read bad reviews of Fortitude tires on my 18 inch wheels in wet or snow. Any truth to it? Coming from Duratracs.

1. The 8HP75 transmission is much smoother than my former Chevy 8 speed.

2. The available information on center driver screen while running 12 inch navigation is awesome.

3. The frequency damped shocks in coil overs beat my Chevy leaf spring for smooth ride.

4. The HEMI engine with 3.92 RAR and dual exhausts goes well and sounds good. Quiet but confident.

Anything I need to watch out for with a build date of 5/19. ?

drstein

Reaction score
Enjoy the site !! Welcome aboard..............................................I think

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Why the dislike for the bench seats ? Also I hated those tires and got rid of them as soon as I could.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My build date was 7/5/2019 and I have all the same issues others have had from last year. Except that all the recalls were completed on my build.

There are so many pages of great information on here -- look around .. dig .. search and don't forget to scroll to bottom of page which has plenty of "similar threads" for any given topic you are currently reviewing.

appears most of what you complained about while comparing your previous ride to your new ride has already been addressed all over these forums already. I have been a Chevy person my entire life and had 2 Silverados .. I enjoy my Ram for all the good things compared and don't mind a few bad things .. my Chevy's had just as many "bad" things with them as well. (eg. Rusted out brake and transmission lines the factory never recalled for)

2019 Laramie

Reaction score
Why the dislike for the bench seats ? Also I hated those tires and got rid of them as soon as I could.
The passenger bwnch seat does not slide backwards far enough. Not sure how to get another 4 inches of backward movement of the bench seat for tall family members with long legs.

What tires did you move too? I do small amounts of snow driving and some rain. Not too worried about tread life but want the quietest "go anywhere" tires. Had Duratracs on the Silverado and liked them except for noise.

2019 Laramie

Reaction score
My build date was 7/5/2019 and I have all the same issues others have had from last year. Except that all the recalls were completed on my build.

There are so many pages of great information on here -- look around .. dig .. search and don't forget to scroll to bottom of page which has plenty of "similar threads" for any given topic you are currently reviewing.

appears most of what you complained about while comparing your previous ride to your new ride has already been addressed all over these forums already. I have been a Chevy person my entire life and had 2 Silverados .. I enjoy my Ram for all the good things compared and don't mind a few bad things .. my Chevy's had just as many "bad" things with them as well. (eg. Rusted out brake and transmission lines the factory never recalled for)
Thanks. Will do. Any idea of where to search dor moving the bench seats back aroundv4 inches past stock stop points? My search so far falls short but I am technically challenged....

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just bought Billet Silver Laramie with 18 inch wheels bench seat (mistake) 12 inch screen (great) 3.92 ratio (questioning that with 26 gallon tank). Moved from a trouble Free Chevy Z71 LTZ from 2017 to get rear coil suspension and UConnect.
Dislikes:
1. There is 5 inches less front leg room. Ram gave too much to the back and not enough to the front.

2. Initial gas mileage with 3.92 RAR is 13 mpg no load one driver. Horrible range with 26 gallon no e torque 5.7 HEMI

3. Rear step not as good a solution as Chevy or Ford for old guys getting into and out of the bed.

4.. Have read bad reviews of Fortitude tires on my 18 inch wheels in wet or snow. Any truth to it? Coming from Duratracs.

1. The 8HP75 transmission is much smoother than my former Chevy 8 speed.

2. The available information on center driver screen while running 12 inch navigation is awesome.

3. The frequency damped shocks in coil overs beat my Chevy leaf spring for smooth ride.

4. The HEMI engine with 3.92 RAR and dual exhausts goes well and sounds good. Quiet but confident.

Anything I need to watch out for with a build date of 5/19. ?
Welcome! I see your comments about front leg room. I'm short, so it doesn't bother me but they do give a lot of the space to the rear passengers. I noticed the rear was roomier and more comfortable when my young adult children stopped calling "shotgun" and actually wanted to be in the back. I have the 3.92 and 26 gallon tank; on average I get 360 to 400 miles on a tank before I fill up so it isn't that bad. I fill up about once every two weeks during my everyday driving. On road trips the gas will last longer than my bladder...so, no problem there. You should see MPG improve as the truck breaks in. Mine was hitting 13-15 when new and now gets about 16 to 19. OEM tires stink no matter what brand you get. I have the 20" Bridgestone Dueler H/L and they are ok but they don't inspire a lot of handing confidence; I will be going with Hankook Dynapro AT2, Cooper AT3 LTX, or Falken Wilpeak (leaning towards the Hankooks due to less aggressive tread). These trucks have their fair share of problems; but most get worked out at the dealership. I find that my truck has fewer problems the less that I read about others problems. As soon as I read about something I begin to imagine all kinds of gremlins in my truck. Despite the few issues I have had, I still love driving this truck every day; and on a road trip it is pure heaven. I think you will probably enjoy the truck.

Users who are viewing this thread