5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RAM is crazy for temp wheel

Ramisgood

Reaction score
On my way to get new shoes put on that will handle our snow, I put a hole in one of the tires. Needless to say, one can get quite a pucker watching the TPMS go from 28 to 14 in 6 miles. Les Schwab put on the temporary spare and we were able to get the new skins without any issues. I never new our truck had the temporary as all my previous trucks were HD and came with a decent wheel and tire.

Now for the idiocy news; I wanted to have one of the tires that was removed from the truck put on the wheel used for the temporary but the tire shop wouldn't do it. They said the temporary wheel is a one use only and if the temporary goes flat I'm screwed. There's a sticker on the wheel stating another tire can not be put on it.

I checked with the local junk yards and found one but they want $180 for a matching wheel, no steel wheels for it. Les Schwab and Discount Tire want $150 for a wheel. A gent on Craigslist has a set of 4 with tires for $375 so I think I'll be buying them and sell the three I don't use for someone else to have as spares. What an idiotic design or selling feature; a truck without a matching tire.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
A
On my way to get new shoes put on that will handle our snow, I put a hole in one of the tires. Needless to say, one can get quite a pucker watching the TPMS go from 28 to 14 in 6 miles. Les Schwab put on the temporary spare and we were able to get the new skins without any issues. I never new our truck had the temporary as all my previous trucks were HD and came with a decent wheel and tire.

Now for the idiocy news; I wanted to have one of the tires that was removed from the truck put on the wheel used for the temporary but the tire shop wouldn't do it. They said the temporary wheel is a one use only and if the temporary goes flat I'm screwed. There's a sticker on the wheel stating another tire can not be put on it.

I checked with the local junk yards and found one but they want $180 for a matching wheel, no steel wheels for it. Les Schwab and Discount Tire want $150 for a wheel. A gent on Craigslist has a set of 4 with tires for $375 so I think I'll be buying them and sell the three I don't use for someone else to have as spares. What an idiotic design or selling feature; a truck without a matching tire.
Get the Off Road Package and it comes with a full size real spare tire/wheel. It's an 18" steel wheel, but not a temp use one. And has the same tire, just 18" equivalent, as the four regular tires.

If you were closer I'd sell you my factory spare, as I bought a matching Built to Serve wheel for my spare.

Lpsouth1978

Reaction score
Interesting. I had Discount Tire put a new tire on my spare and they didn't hesitate. No ORG, no airbags, etc. Unfortunately I was not able to fit a matching tire under there, but got the largest tire we could make fit without modifications.

Mketch

Reaction score
Interesting. I had Discount Tire put a new tire on my spare and they didn't hesitate. No ORG, no airbags, etc. Unfortunately I was not able to fit a matching tire under there, but got the largest tire we could make fit without modifications.
I just ordered some 295/65r20s. What was the largest that fit under there?

Lpsouth1978

Reaction score
I will have to look @ lunch. I don't remember the exact size off the top of my head. I also have 295/65r20's on the truck.

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interesting. I've got a full-size steel spare wheel with the temporary tire mounted on it. Are you saying that shops refuse to mount a permanent tire to it?

Ramisgood

Reaction score
A
Get the Off Road Package and it comes with a full size real spare tire/wheel. It's an 18" steel wheel, but not a temp use one. And has the same tire, just 18" equivalent, as the four regular tires.

If you were closer I'd sell you my factory spare, as I bought a matching Built to Serve wheel for my spare.
I wanted the ORG and had it on the first truck we ordered but Ram informed us it would not be put on trucks with the V-6, even though the salesman's build sheet and their website allowed it. Having a 3/4 ton Ram for our serious truck needs, Baby Blue is our "car". Love our older RAM and decided to get the light duty rig for a second vehicle. Our winter snows dictate having a rig with significant ground clearance.

I was hoping to get a spare wheel off of Craigslist but all that I've seen are sets of 4. It's a kind offer you have, though.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
A

My spare with the Back Country and Offroad Packages is a Wildpeak just like my regular tires on a different type of wheel but appears to have a bit less tread. Maybe I’m wrong so will have to look closer when I get a chance.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just ordered some 295/65r20s. What was the largest that fit under there?
I will have to look @ lunch. I don't remember the exact size off the top of my head. I also have 295/65r20's on the truck.
Should able to make those fit. Takes a little tweaking and manuevering. Might have to remove of bend the exhaust heat shield a little. I have a 275/65/20 under mine and have 1/4"-1/2" clearance all around.

Ram-a-Kin

Reaction score
Should able to make those fit. Takes a little tweaking and manuevering. Might have to remove of bend the exhaust heat shield a little. I have a 275/65/20 under mine and have 1/4"-1/2" clearance all around.
So on my ‘22 Limited I have 22” wheels and the “donut” is 18”. Would I be better off getting a 20” steel rim and put a 275/65R20 used tire on it for my spare?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So on my ‘22 Limited I have 22” wheels and the “donut” is 18”. Would I be better off getting a 20” steel rim and put a 275/65R20 used tire on it for my spare?
Size of the rim doesn't really matter as long as the OD of the tire on the spare wheel is the same or close to the regular tires.

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I checked my build sheet for my '22 Limited and it's listed as "Full Size Temporary Use Spare Tire". I;ve never heard of a full-size spare being called "temporary" before. Do they call it temporary only because it doesn't have TPMS monitors and they want you to change it right away? Or is it strictly so you don't employ the 5-tire rotation method we used to do in the old days?

Ram-a-Kin

Reaction score
Size of the rim doesn't really matter as long as the OD of the tire on the spare wheel is the same or close to the regular tires.
Ah, that makes perfect sense, thanks for the clarification. The spare is -4% smaller than the tires on the truck (31.5 vs. 32.8). Is that too much of a difference?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I checked my build sheet for my '22 Limited and it's listed as "Full Size Temporary Use Spare Tire". I;ve never heard of a full-size spare being called "temporary" before. Do they call it temporary only because it doesn't have TPMS monitors and they want you to change it right away? Or is it strictly so you don't employ the 5-tire rotation method we used to do in the old days?
Have you looked at your spare? Some do come with a temporary use tire. And even if it wasn't a temp use, it would still be an 18" steel or aluminum wheel. Not a matching wheel to what is on the truck

Ram-a-Kin

Reaction score
I just crawled under my ‘22 Limited to look at the spare. The tire is 245-70R18 and is and appears to be of a lesser quality than what came on the truck. I upgraded my tires to 305/45R22 so my spare is -4% smaller that these tires.

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Have you looked at your spare? Some do come with a temporary use tire. And even if it wasn't a temp use, it would still be an 18" steel or aluminum wheel. Not a matching wheel to what is on the truck.

Understood. Like Ram-a-Kin, mine is an 18" steel wheel (245-70R18) and the tire does indeed say Temporary Use. Thanks.

Ram-a-Kin

Reaction score
@HSKR R/T My spare is -4% smaller than the tires on the truck (31.5 vs. 32.8). Is that too much of a difference?

NJMonark

Reaction score
When I swapped the stock Goodyear's on my 20 limited (22" rims) with Kenda Klever RT's (33x12.50R22), I also ordered a 33x12.50R18 for the spare. I went to a local ETD to have them installed and they did the spare no problem. It fits underneath with no modifications as well.

Users who are viewing this thread