5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram got stolen - need advice

dmcmd

Reaction score
Hi all,

Sad news - my 2022 Ram Limited that I special ordered last year and had to wait 3 months to get got stolen. I have it on video. It took the thief about 15-20 minutes of sitting in the car to take it. I can see the computer turning on and off multiple times, so my guess is he plugged a computer into the OBD port and made a new key.

So now I have to get another one. Here's my question: I'm going to disable the OBD port in the car and have a separate one hidden away that works for when I need it. I'm wondering, what would happen if I wired the dummy OBD in the dash such that the 12V from the car was going to the ground pin (4) and the ground was going to the 12V pin (16)? So that when the next thief plugs their computer into it, the computer will see 12V instead of ground, and ground instead of 12V. Would that hurt the car, or would it hurt (intentionally) their computer system?

Thanks,
Darren

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. That sucks. Alternatively, you could just get a Ravelco.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hi all,

Sad news - my 2022 Ram Limited that I special ordered last year and had to wait 3 months to get got stolen. I have it on video. It took the thief about 15-20 minutes of sitting in the car to take it. I can see the computer turning on and off multiple times, so my guess is he plugged a computer into the OBD port and made a new key.

So now I have to get another one. Here's my question: I'm going to disable the OBD port in the car and have a separate one hidden away that works for when I need it. I'm wondering, what would happen if I wired the dummy OBD in the dash such that the 12V from the car was going to the ground pin (4) and the ground was going to the 12V pin (16)? So that when the next thief plugs their computer into it, the computer will see 12V instead of ground, and ground instead of 12V. Would that hurt the car, or would it hurt (intentionally) their computer system?

Thanks,
Darren
You could do that, by just getting an old OBD port, and putting it where the stock one is, adn just tuck the factory one up above. I would thing putting reverse polarity to it, would short out their equipment. The bad side, if you take your vehicle anywhere for service, and the plug eqyipment in to the wrong port, you may end up paying for that equipment. I know of oil change shops that plug in every car and read them.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,

Thanks,
Darren
Disabling the OBD port isn't going to stop a thief. They're going for the CANBUS, not the OBD port. If you want to prevent theft in the future, install something like Ravelco or IGLA.

Edit: Let me clarify that. They MIGHT be going for the OBD port, but disabling that won't necessarily prevent theft. There are several ways to steal your truck, and disabling the OBD port is like locking only the front door of your house, but leaving the back door open.

Last edited:

dmcmd

Reaction score
Disabling the OBD port isn't going to stop a thief. They're going for the CANBUS, not the OBD port. If you want to prevent theft in the future, install something like Ravelco or IGLA.

Edit: Let me clarify that. They MIGHT be going for the OBD port, but disabling that won't necessarily prevent theft. There are several ways to steal your truck, and disabling the OBD port is like locking only the front door of your house, but leaving the back door open.
Thanks. I’m going to check out IGLA. There’s a place here in town - Houston.

GMetal

Reaction score
How did they get in without triggering the alarm? Did they cut the horn wire through the grille?

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score

IGLA is the Russian company, right?

6of36

Reaction score
How did they get in without triggering the alarm? Did they cut the horn wire through the grille?
I saw some sort of report, I don't remember where, but they disabled the alarm through the headlight wires. They unplugged them, then used some electronic gadget, that would disable the alarm, and unlock the door.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I saw some sort of report, I don't remember where, but they disabled the alarm through the headlight wires. They unplugged them, then used some electronic gadget, that would disable the alarm, and unlock the door.
This? Not sure if it works on a Ram.

Post in thread 'Protecting our trucks from theft'
Protecting our trucks from theft

6of36

Reaction score
Yep, that was it. Has it been proven it's not? It says they were discussing whether it worked on Rams or not. But also in the article....

Given that the manufacturer of these CAN injection devices claims that the devices are so effective against a myriad of makes and models, it would seem that this could be an industry-wide problem that may take some brainstorming to fix.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Hi all,

Thanks,
Darren
sorry to hear this
not trying to be mean as I read a lot here and got the ravelco within a month of picking up my truck

410DelmonicoSport

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that happened to you. I have installed dozens of Compustar alarm systems in Hellcats and SRTs and TRXs because of all the theft. The system I use disables the push to start when the system is armed or after a period of inactivity. Several of the vehicles I did, thieves attempted to steal afterwards without success, my clients had broken windows, but they still had their vehicles. I have one on my truck as well and it certainly gives peace of mind in case someone tries to mess with my truck.

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Meh, that's why you have insurance. You could take all these steps only to have someone load it right onto a flatbed and drive off.

U

User_3336

2022s come with a 10 year trial of Ram's onstar.
If OP calls\calls Ram they can tell him exactly where it is, I think he MIGHT need a police report.
10 years, really? I'll have to check mine. Didn't think it was that lengthy

U

User_3336

I guess you're right. The rest of the "connected services" are 90 days it appears. But the SAFE AND SECURE
part does last 10 years!! I never paid any attention to that one since its on the last tab on the app.

19year.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread