5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram front end color match(help)

RamRebelSteel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I'm planning on color matching the front end of my Rebel but my local painter told me to order a "smooth" front end valance or what ever you would call this part above the grill. Does anyone know if the ones from other trims would fit on the rebel? Screenshot_20200424-064238_Messages.jpg

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I ordered mine to have painted to match my truck color and that’s the one that was sent to me.

apexodus

Reaction score
What is the issue with painting the one currently on your truck?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Thanks!

When it has texture the paint doesnt stick very well and if you sand it the plastic wont absorb the paint very well either due to the pores of the plastic. That's what my local shop told me anyways.
If they sand and prime it correctly, paint should adhere to the plastic w/o issues. People do it all the time.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I purchased a new one as I wanted to keep my chrome ( fake ) one just in case. So I also ordered a plain one and have had no regrets.

rnoggle

Reaction score
Mine were the original black textured plastic. Sanded and painted with spray cans to match my maximum steel body color.

Also painted the hood vents to match.

Been about 10,000 miles and still looks like new.

thumbnail_20200116_114548.jpg thumbnail_20200116_114559.jpg

Zeeya

Reaction score
If they sand and prime it correctly, paint should adhere to the plastic w/o issues. People do it all the time.
Yes they do, remember the Chevy Avalanche? They had to sand the lower side panels and the back side boxes and bed covers and prime it with a special primer. I have seen some very nice ones done like that.

Users who are viewing this thread