5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram for plowing?

Dave Z

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Big Horn 5.7 with about 13k on it so far. I own a few rental properties and the price I pay for snow removal per storm, especially big storms like the one we just had in the northeast is getting crazy. I am looking to continue buying and now I'm at the point where I am debating finding an old beater truck to plow with or take the chance with my newer ram. It would be for current 5 driveways and parking lots...The cheapest I can get a truck with a plow that is actually worth putting to work is about $6500. So question is, have any of you used your newer rams for plowing? If so, did It hurt the truck or if you're careful can it still last? I generally keep my trucks long term, I'm not one to trade it in after a few years. Any advice from those who have plowed with one would be helpful but bottom line do you think it makes more sense to buy the old beater or just put the plow on the big horn?

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Personally I'd jump at the $6500 beater. I've never looked into it so I'm probably way out to lunch but I suspect you might need to beef up the front of a 5th gen, in terms of suspension, to handle that weight. Pretty sure even 2500's these days come with upgrades from the factory for plowing.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I agree with SB. Go with the beater. One thing that's stuck with me over the years is that you don't want to plow snow with a truck that has IFS. So if it were me, I'd look for a beater with a solid front axle for plowing snow.

Hasti17

Reaction score
Agreed, find a beater or a towable for snow removal, My grandfather still uses his 2021 1500 for plowing, they had to do A LOT to equip the truck for it and even then it beats the S*** out of it, i plow my property with my yanmar with skids mounted to the bucket, that works pretty well with a PTO broadcast spreader for salt. one of my buddies has to plow more than one site, he has a bombardier SW40? little tracked plow vehicle with a 6' blade, got a trailer and tows it around. not sure how practical it is, but a cool little machine.

Dave Z

Reaction score
Appreciate the replies and had not even considered the IFS. Beater it will be

SkeeterJackson

Reaction score
Disclaimer: I don't have any experience plowing with a half ton truck. I have a ranger that I plow my driveways with and it works well, but if there is over a foot I need to make sure to continually plow through the storm because the ranger can't handle that much.

That being said, if you did use your more expensive truck for plowing your rental properties you would be able to depreciate more expense than with a beater truck. This will leave you with less actual expense (don't have to buy a different truck, just a new plow) and more depreciation to put against your revenues. So, in theory it is a win/win. You pay less up front and you get to report less taxable income while still making the same amount of money.

Now, if plowing with a half ton completely destroys the truck or decreases the useful life, the benefit would probably be outweighed by the replacement price of a new vehicle. That is the part I don't know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/