5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram Diesel Question - Never had a Diesel

Sunman54

Reaction score
Contemplating a leftover 2023 RAM LTD 1500 Diesel at a local dealer but wondering if I may have issues with a diesel truck. The truck will be used basically for 3 trips per year between FL and North GA mountains. It will then be used for all of our day trips and rides in the GA mountains. We stay in GA for six weeks at a time. Here's the issue, which back in FL (the other 34 weeks of the year) the truck will basically sit in our driveway for extended weeks at a time. At our home in FL we use our Jeep Wrangler and/or another vehicle for all activities. Currently have a 2015 Tundra Crew Max (this is our truck for FL to GA) since new and absolutely no issues with that truck sitting for weeks or even a few months at our home in FL until we take another trip to GA. It fires up without issue and absolutely no mechanical issues. Has almost 70k miles on it and all it requires is oil changes. No mechanical issues. I was advised against a Diesel for the sole reason of it not being used for extended periods of time and letting it sit. I was told a Diesel needs to be used. Thanks

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Contemplating a leftover 2023 RAM LTD 1500 Diesel at a local dealer but wondering if I may have issues with a diesel truck. The truck will be used basically for 3 trips per year between FL and North GA mountains. It will then be used for all of our day trips and rides in the GA mountains. We stay in GA for six weeks at a time. Here's the issue, which back in FL (the other 34 weeks of the year) the truck will basically sit in our driveway for extended weeks at a time. At our home in FL we use our Jeep Wrangler and/or another vehicle for all activities. Currently have a 2015 Tundra Crew Max (this is our truck for FL to GA) since new and absolutely no issues with that truck sitting for weeks or even a few months at our home in FL until we take another trip to GA. It fires up without issue and absolutely no mechanical issues. Has almost 70k miles on it and all it requires is oil changes. No mechanical issues. I was advised against a Diesel for the sole reason of it not being used for extended periods of time and letting it sit. I was told a Diesel needs to be used. Thanks

Pretty sure you can let it sit parked just fine. What they don't like is extensive idling and short city trips.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Disconnect your 12V battery before you let it sit.
The systems drain energy even when the truck is off for an extended period of time.

Also move the truck every so often to prevent flat spots on the tires.

An engine while turned off does not degrade or age, oil can break down but not very quickly with high quality oil.

Rossum

Reaction score
Pretty sure you can let it sit parked just fine. What they don't like is extensive idling and short city trips.
I agree. I've had my Eco for three years now. It's primarily used for runs between SE PA and NE FL. It often sits in a garage for several months at a time at either end of the trip. ~24,000 mile on it so far. Oil changes every 6000 - 7500 miles. Not a single problem (knock wood).

I do not disconnect the battery when the truck sits; instead, I connect a charger every so often (every 4-6 weeks).

Oh, and lifetime average (per Fuelly, not the lying trip computer): 27.0 MPG, and that's driving 10 over the posted limits on the highway, so 80 mph most of the time, using the adaptive cruise, which is too dang aggressive about downshifting to get back up to speed when traffic opens up.

The only thing that gives me pause about a Limited is that it comes with the air suspension. That can really let you down when it fails, and fail it will at some point if one keeps the truck long term.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree. I've had my Eco for three years now. It's primarily used for runs between SE PA and NE FL. It often sits in a garage for several months at a time at either end of the trip. ~24,000 mile on it so far. Oil changes every 6000 - 7500 miles. Not a single problem (knock wood).

I do not disconnect the battery when the truck sits; instead, I connect a charger every so often (every 4-6 weeks).

Oh, and lifetime average (per Fuelly, not the lying trip computer): 27.0 MPG, and that's driving 10 over the posted limits on the highway, so 80 mph most of the time, using the adaptive cruise, which is too dang aggressive about downshifting to get back up to speed when traffic opens up.

The only thing that gives me pause about a Limited is that it comes with the air suspension. That can really let you down when it fails, and fail it will at some point if one keeps the truck long term.

I don't know how y'all do it.

I have a '21 Limited 4x4 ED w/3.21. It has a bit over 50K miles on it, but I've had it for 36K.

I also drive 10 over and use adaptive cruise all the time.

My current lifetime average, in Fuelly, is 22.0 MPG. I do have 33" A/T tires, for probably about the last 30K miles. And I do drive with a heavy foot. But, still...

Rossum

Reaction score
I don't know how y'all do it.
I'm on stock Goodyears on base 18" rims, which I run at 40 psi cold. Your A/T tires don't help. Neither does the extra weight of the sunroof or the multi-function gate that I don't have, although I do have a bed full of stuff (under the tonneau cover) most of the time. I'm guessing at least half the difference is the heavy foot. Mine isn't, at least not in the truck. I'm Dr. Jekyll in it. Mr. Hyde comes out when I get in Golf R.

iBones

Reaction score
Have had my 2022 ED Sport with stock 20s for about 2 months now and average around 28 mpg driving in North GA.

Biggest thing I've noticed is that it matters more about the acceleration than the cruising speed. If I get on it my mpg tanks, but with smooth transitions my "Range" mileage typically climbs from where it starts.

It also LOVES fuel treatments. I've had trips into work on just fuel average around 23 mpg and trips into work with hotshots and it spikes to 29 mpg.

drydocked

Reaction score
I also use my truck mostly for extended trips 2-3 times a year and it can sit for long periods in between. In the winter it sits in my shed from late November until mid-March.
The only issue I've had was the first year I had it there was a DEF sensor problem when I pulled it out in March. The dealer flushed the DEF tank and the sensors, replace my DEF with fresh stuff, and all was good. My dealer said that most DEF problems are related to old DEF and DEF level sensors that get crystalized DEF on them and don't read right, especially the ones near the top of the tank that get splashed but maybe not often submerged. He recommended storing it with a near empty DEF tank and putting in fresh DEF when I'm going to pull it out of storage, and also only adding one box of DEF at a time when it gets low instead of filling it up to the top. I've been following that recommendation since then and haven't had any more issues.
I also put a battery tender on it and store it with a full fuel tank to avoid any condensation in the tank. Condensation in the tank probably isn't an issue in GA but it can be up here in northern WI.

myles

Reaction score
What makes you want a diesel for so little driving? You're paying extra upfront for the diesel engine, more expensive oil changes, fuel filters, DEF, and diesels are just in general more expensive to fix when they break. And yes, the ecodiesel does like to be driven a lot because of the DEF, if I do too many short trips I have to leave the truck on for a while so the DEF thing can regenerate. Short drives clog up the DPF

I drive 34k miles/year so I got the ecodiesel with the extended fuel tank so i can fill up once a week or so. It was really annoying have to fill up every 3 days or so on my gmc with the 5.3.

And operating cost is probably the same or more than gas even though it gets better mileage. With 34" tires and 2" lift im getting 22mpg.

137k miles and almost 4 years old. Only out of pocket repair has been an o2 sensor, everything else has been covered under warranty.

Chris3058

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 20 ED Rebel has 38k miles (62k kms) on it currently. I change the oil every 6k miles (10k kms). I was buying a gasser originally but when i ordered it in April 2020 (Pandemic lockdown) I got the diesel for free - there was a credit for the upgrade so no cost, plus some ridiculous discount and 0%. So diesel it was...and I love it. Highway at normal traffic speeds I'm 26-30 mpg and overall averaging 22-23 with 3,92 and Duratracs. Some warranty issues so far but all were covered and I'm warrantied until 2027 / 160k so lots of time left. truck has been great and I plan on keeping it.

Sunman54

Reaction score
Appreciate the responses. Thought about a RAM 1500 Diesel 4WD based on a new leftover 22 Limited with an MSRP of $81k advertised at $64k. Drove it yesterday and an excellent truck. However, could not work a deal trading in my 2015 Tundra Crew Max LTD 2WD. Car Gurus only had the RAM as a fair price and goal was to get it around $57k (Car Gurus Great Deal Value).

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Appreciate the responses. Thought about a RAM 1500 Diesel 4WD based on a new leftover 22 Limited with an MSRP of $81k advertised at $64k. Drove it yesterday and an excellent truck. However, could not work a deal trading in my 2015 Tundra Crew Max LTD 2WD. Car Gurus only had the RAM as a fair price and goal was to get it around $57k (Car Gurus Great Deal Value).
With MSRP of 81k, 64k is an amazing deal. Aint going to get it for any less unless something got messed up with it imo.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
21% off sticker, for a new, leftover 22? That definitely sounds like an awesome deal, to me.

It would have come down to the value on the trade-in. For a '15 Tundra, if they didn't ask you to pay them to take it, you were doing great!

;) LOL!

Sunman54

Reaction score
Not unexpected a low 'steal my Tundra' was offered. While not this same dealer, I had a similar offer from a F150 dealer this fall and their response was since we are selling you our new 2023 at low wholesale, we need to price your truck at low wholesale. I said your 2023 pricing has absolutely no bearing on the trade value of my Tundra. I had absolutely no issues with the RAM dealer. Interesting, since last week the price of the RAM has been reduced to $62.9k. A very good deal if someone wants a new RAM LTD Diesel. I probably could have done a deal, but heading back to FL in a few days and just ran out of time to deal with getting a new truck in north GA. In addition, I could not use my RAM Bonus Cash on a 2022.

Users who are viewing this thread