5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram box and bed extender?

Tom488

Reaction score
TOM488, did you ever sell your 68027145AE extender? If not, I'm interested. Just bought my 1500 Rambox and the dealer had no idea they no longer come with the Rambox cargo system. (after selling them for how many months???) Will purchase the hardware (swivel handle & grommet stud) new but want to procure the divider first.
To my knowledge, I was never selling mine.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Confirmation:
My build was July 5th 2019 -- I have the BUG .. I did not get the Extend Parts and was upset ..

I see here (back dated) that FCA/RAM had to STOP installing/shipping them for Legal Reasons ?

I'll let my Salesman and Aftermarket persons know and see if they will order the parts for me since we all thought the truck would come from the factory installed.

Tim N

PS: Appears you also require either side End Rail Covers?
68044935AC 1 ea @ $ 58.69 COVER. Box Side End Rail, Left, Left Rear.
68044934AC 1 ea @ $ 58.73 COVER. Box Side End Rail, Right, Right Rear.

My Covers actually COVER where the Pivot Joints & Swivel Releases would mount.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You
Confirmation:
My build was July 5th 2019 -- I have the BUG .. I did not get the Extend Parts and was upset ..

I see here (back dated) that FCA/RAM had to STOP installing/shipping them for Legal Reasons ?

I'll let my Salesman and Aftermarket persons know and see if they will order the parts for me since we all thought the truck would come from the factory installed.

Tim N

PS: Appears you also require either side End Rail Covers?
68044935AC 1 ea @ $ 58.69 COVER. Box Side End Rail, Left, Left Rear.
68044934AC 1 ea @ $ 58.73 COVER. Box Side End Rail, Right, Right Rear.

My Covers actually COVER where the Pivot Joints & Swivel Releases would mount.

View attachment 32855
you pop those little covers out and the parts screw right into those holes...

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Confirmed today that the nut plates are still there - they are welded to the vertical portion of the bed itself.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I did some digging today since I had the day off ..

FCA states that the 2019 did NOT include the pivot points because of changes to Federal Tail Light laws.
hmm ..
Ok ?

Tail lights .. bed extender .. people running into the tailgate when it is in the down (open) position ..
No visual indications are required until items stick out 4 feet from the rear of the vehicle. Then you are required some bright (red / orange / etc) piece of 12" x 12" square to keep people from running into those nice new 2x4s you just purchased. Now, if you are driving at night, it is required that you mount a red light at the end of those long 2x4s ..

so ...

Original post ..

bed open is way less than 4 feet.

Most would right you up for not being able to see your rear license plate, NOT a blockage of your rear lights. And what if you take your tail gate off? You are no longer extending your vehicle by 18-24 inches and no longer blocking your tail lights (not like you were before the tailgate was put in the down / open position.

MOST states have laws on the books already for driving with your tailgate down to "save fuel" which is a myth even before Mythbusters decided to do an episode on it. One of my previous trucks had the tailgate removed and I had one of those nets installed instead = was never pulled over by any State Patrol for that. States that have laws on the books require that the tailgate be closed to keep items from falling out (all over the highway) .. but my bed is empty -- doesn't matter. (see previous statement about wrecks where people would slam into the opened tailgate .. see the round-and-round yet?

Those same states DO say that if your items are long enough that you cannot close your tailgate, then you ARE allowed to run with the tailgate open .. as long as the load within the bed is secured with proper strapping, etc .. they do mention that tailgate extenders are NOT to have holes large enough to allow items to fall thru them. Well, my 300 pound lawnmower is much larger than my tailgate extender holes, I can bet my life on that :)

SOOOo ..
Digging again into these new Tail light Laws .. we are still legal (within the limits provided by the state you travel in) -- notice I did not say the state you are licensed in -- see laws regarding window tint, the omission of rear bumpers on certain vehicles from the factory, etc.

It was also stated before that the reason MAY have been that the aluminum tailgate does not hold the weight the steel tailgate did .. OK, but you are STILL able to load say a 300 pound lawnmower into the truck with the new tailgate as well.

So I will be making contact with my local chapter of the State Police as soon as I get time and ask them about these new Tail light laws. All I could locate was Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108 which provided guidelines for manufacturers on locations to post reflective material or lights and what type of lights you were allowed.

I decided to take some photos (my own and from the Internet) with the new RAM BED EXTENDER-not-so-much and I'll post up some images with red running LEDs that can be hooked up to the trailer harness that can bee seen from the rear and up to 180 degrees on either side of the rig and show that to the local Chapter and see if that is within Federal Laws. Even with the tailgate down while hauling something from my local Menards, I am still within Federal and Local Laws (running a 4x8 sheet of plywood even in my tailgate-opened 5'7" RAMBOX.)

RAMRhode

Reaction score

FCA states that the 2019 did NOT include the pivot points because of changes to Federal Tail Light laws.
hmm ..
Ok ?

Tail lights .. bed extender .. people running into the tailgate when it is in the down (open) position ..
No visual indications are required until items stick out 4 feet from the rear of the vehicle. Then you are required some bright (red / orange / etc) piece of 12" x 12" square to keep people from running into those nice new 2x4s you just purchased. Now, if you are driving at night, it is required that you mount a red light at the end of those long 2x4s ..

so ...

Original post ..

Most would right you up for not being able to see your rear license plate, NOT a blockage of your rear lights. And what if you take your tail gate off? You are no longer extending your vehicle by 18-24 inches and no longer blocking your tail lights (not like you were before the tailgate was put in the down / open position.

MOST states have laws on the books already for driving with your tailgate down to "save fuel" which is a myth even before Mythbusters decided to do an episode on it. One of my previous trucks had the tailgate removed and I had one of those nets installed instead = was never pulled over by any State Patrol for that. States that have laws on the books require that the tailgate be closed to keep items from falling out (all over the highway) .. but my bed is empty -- doesn't matter. (see previous statement about wrecks where people would slam into the opened tailgate .. see the round-and-round yet?

Those same states DO say that if your items are long enough that you cannot close your tailgate, then you ARE allowed to run with the tailgate open .. as long as the load within the bed is secured with proper strapping, etc .. they do mention that tailgate extenders are NOT to have holes large enough to allow items to fall thru them. Well, my 300 pound lawnmower is much larger than my tailgate extender holes, I can bet my life on that :)

SOOOo ..
Digging again into these new Tail light Laws .. we are still legal (within the limits provided by the state you travel in) -- notice I did not say the state you are licensed in -- see laws regarding window tint, the omission of rear bumpers on certain vehicles from the factory, etc.

It was also stated before that the reason MAY have been that the aluminum tailgate does not hold the weight the steel tailgate did .. OK, but you are STILL able to load say a 300 pound lawnmower into the truck with the new tailgate as well.

So I will be making contact with my local chapter of the State Police as soon as I get time and ask them about these new Tail light laws. All I could locate was Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108 which provided guidelines for manufacturers on locations to post reflective material or lights and what type of lights you were allowed.

I decided to take some photos (my own and from the Internet) with the new RAM BED EXTENDER-not-so-much and I'll post up some images with red running LEDs that can be hooked up to the trailer harness that can bee seen from the rear and up to 180 degrees on either side of the rig and show that to the local Chapter and see if that is within Federal Laws. Even with the tailgate down while hauling something from my local Menards, I am still within Federal and Local Laws (running a 4x8 sheet of plywood even in my tailgate-opened 5'7" RAMBOX.)
Way over-thinking this, Diamondback!:LOL: ...Though you are correct in your findings. Order the parts and use as you wish! Search my username along with extender and you will see what and where I ordered. (Too lazy right now for me to do). Took a bit of time to get but when I need them, it’s nice to have them to use.
As for police, I HIGHLY doubt that anyone would pull you over for using this setup. Have you seen how some idiots driving down the highway secure their loads?!? No one stops them, do they?

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Way over-thinking this, Diamondback!:LOL: ...Though you are correct in your findings. Order the parts and use as you wish! Search my username along with extender and you will see what and where I ordered. (Too lazy right now for me to do). Took a bit of time to get but when I need them, it’s nice to have them to use.
As for police, I HIGHLY doubt that anyone would pull you over for using this setup. Have you seen how some idiots driving down the highway secure their loads?!? No one stops them, do they?

Already ordered (dealer got them for me actually - I provided them with the part numbers from your previous posts).

I had the day off and just started thinking (overly as you said) LOL

Tim N

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

hmm ..
Ok ?

so ...

Original post ..

SOOOo ..

It’s plausible that the change was made to comply with FMVSS 108. If you look at tables V-b, V-c, and V-d, for example, I’m guessing the tail lights don’t meet the 45-degree IB requirements when the extender is in use. I believe this is consistent with what another forum member reported they were told by FCA.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s plausible that the change was made to comply with FMVSS 108. If you look at tables V-b, V-c, and V-d, for example, I’m guessing the tail lights don’t meet the 45-degree IB requirements when the extender is in use. I believe this is consistent with what another forum member reported they were told by FCA.

Same thing I saw as well. Tiz what got me thinking about installing LED/Reflective Tape just in case my local state law changes .. just stay off the Interstate and I'll be ok - LOL

Tim N

nicktisingh

Reaction score
I have the divider/extender but obviously, not the parts below that are needed. Is it worth it to try to find them off an older RAM at the boneyard? Will they fit?

68054997AB 2 ea @ $ 16.38 ea GROMMET. PIVOT JOINT. D Pillar, Handle D Pillar.
68054996AA 2 ea @ $ 24.95 ea HANDLE. Swivel Release. D Pillar.
Did these parts end up working?

Sergeant Jim

Reaction score
there is a place on ebay that sells all 4 pieces together for $83.25 with free shipping. Just type the part number for the handle (68054996AA) in the search box and it will pop right up.

Users who are viewing this thread