5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram bed step issues

Driver

Reaction score
As mentioned, most of the units I've seen on ebay and Amazon are the identical part offered by Mopar, and that's been confirmed side by side comparison and by by Ram parts counter personnel .

Anyone unsure can compare welds and paint on both, side by side. If your unit has extremely smooth welds and a professional paint job, you likely have the mopar part. Having any of the numbers below, stamped in it, can be further confirmation.

Then there's this. If the unit you buy for $90 has very smooth welds, premium paint, and works and fits well, then you got a smoking good deal, and you saved over $300!

For the 2019+ 1500 DT new body style only, the acceptable part numbers are any of the following ; 82215289AG ; 82215289 ; 82215289AB ; 82215289AC ; 82215289AD ; 82215289AE; 82215289AF

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you find a bed step for under $300 that isn't a used take-off, 100% it isn't a Mopar unit. If it doesn't show up in a Mopar box with Mopar instructions, it's not a Mopar step and is just a cheap reproduction

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As mentioned, most of the units I've seen on ebay and Amazon are the identical part offered by Mopar, and that's been confirmed side by side comparison and by by Ram parts counter personnel .

Anyone unsure can compare welds and paint on both, side by side. If your unit has extremely smooth welds and a professional paint job, you likely have the mopar part. Having any of the numbers below, stamped in it, can be further confirmation.

Then there's this. If the unit you buy for $90 has very smooth welds, premium paint, and works and fits well, then you got a smoking good deal, and you saved over $300!

For the 2019+ 1500 DT new body style only, the acceptable part numbers are any of the following ; 82215289AG ; 82215289 ; 82215289AB ; 82215289AC ; 82215289AD ; 82215289AE; 82215289AF
I disagree because I know for a fact this is not true…
Most, if not ALL of the cheap Amazon bed steps are a Chinese made knock off, not MOPAR genuine. All it really takes is a little bit of investigating by tapping on the little “sold by” link and you’ll see that they are Chinese made. Just because the listing says “replaces part number” does not mean it’s Genuine MOPAR. I bought RAM emblems that had the MOPAR PN number on it, but it wasn’t genuine. Easy enough to stamp a PN into it, it still isn’t genuine.
If you doubt me, click the link below, go to sold by…nuff said.

ONER Rear Bed Step,Retractable Bumper Tailgate Step Compatible with 2019-2022 Dodge RAM 1500 DT,Replaces # 82215289AH 82215289AG https://a.co/d/0MskS6h

Driver

Reaction score
Is there some rule which says the Chinese maker of the mopar steps can not sell the same item to 100 US parts companies without the mopar logo?

The fact that an Amazon seller offers a Ram bed step for $100, does not prove or disprove it is the identical mopar part.

It is possible that any given $100 amazon or ebay step is a knock off. It is also possible that the amazon or ebay item is identical or the same as the mopar.

I have seen a side by side comparison with one ebay $90 step, a $100 Amazon step, and a $435 mopar step on a Ram parts counter. The Ram parts manager himself said they were the same part.

The same parts manager went on to say that some Ram dealers sell the non mopar item, made by the same Chinese company, and they pocket the extra $300 profit.

The mopar parts manager also said the only people he'd ever seen complain about the steps were the guys who paid $435, and later discovered they actually got the same part as someone who bought the identical item for $90 on ebay!

Bottom line: If anyone buys a step for $100 with smooth welds, great paint, and it installs well and operates smoothly, they got a super deal. Anything else is besides the point.

Last edited:

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is there some rule which says the Chinese maker of the mopar steps can not sell the same item to 100 US parts companies without the mopar logo?

if Mopar owns the tooling and fixtures, yes, and they have lawyers that will go after them. Seems to be harder to punish foreign entities though. Even if they grind off logos.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score

The fact that an Amazon seller offers a Ram bed step for $100, does not prove or disprove it is the identical mopar part.

It is possible that any given $100 amazon or ebay step is a knock off. It is also possible that the amazon or ebay item is identical or the same as the mopar.

I have seen a side by side comparison with one ebay $90 step, a $100 Amazon step, and a $435 mopar step on a Ram parts counter. The Ram parts manager himself said they were the same part.

The same parts manager went on to say that some Ram dealers sell the non mopar item, made by the same Chinese company, and they pocket the extra $300 profit.

I can verify all of the above is widespread in the electronics tech/repair sector. I would add a couple thoughts.

The likelihood of being the same part may be related to how difficult the part is to design and build. Complex parts are hard to fake, but the brand name contractor can easily just make more from molds, jigs, tools, and materials already on hand. So there's that, but...

Quality control may be all over the map. Parts that weren't quite good enough for the name brand contract can be sold on eBay or Amazon, so you may be pre-selecting grade B parts with blemishes or defects. Or may be perfectly good. You're rolling the dice. Dealers that use a lot of parts can toss a dud in the trash once in awhile and still be ahead. That may not work out as well for a single unit owner.

Driver

Reaction score
Rick made excellent points, except there's no roll of the dice in this case.

We're talking about a $100 low tech mechanical, black painted part. Far from a $500,000 Lamborghini, etc.

The reason there's no roll of the dice is if you buy on Amazon, you can inspect it, even install it, and return it if not completly satisfied.

As before, "If anyone buys a step for $100 with smooth welds, great paint, and it installs well and operates smoothly, they got a super deal. Anything else is besides the point."

ocwill1

Reaction score
one more thing, who is to say that the "genuine mopar" part is not also made in China...

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
This has been covered multiple times on this forum. The eBay and Amazon steps are made out of low quality steel with poor tolerance bushings. The Mopar step is made out of aluminum and does not rust like the Chinese junk.

As much as Driver is pushing those crappy steps makes me believe he's a vendor that sells them.

Last edited:

dajogejr

Reaction score
Having the OEM step on mine, I can tell you from that picture it’s not OEM or even close to it.
Not saying it won’t/can’t work, but mine is OEM and was part of the multi function tailgate package I “think”.. it’s been flawless.

Your picture looks like the one off Amazon from “JDM Speed” but I’d bet there are more using other names.
Also looking at pics on amazon, their step looks flat where yours is angled up.
Either it’s an adjustment… or it’s a bad one. I don’t see anything on the interwebs on adjustment, but I didn’t spend a ton of time looking. I’d contact manufacturer or seller and ask them.

Last edited:

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What’s an Mopar step cost these days $300? Lets just save $200 on a what a $40k+ truck and go with the knockoff cheaper material Chinese reproduction step. Its not like its something important or anything imagine using the step to well step up on the tailgate and gasp… it breaks on you…

Driver

Reaction score
The mopar parts manager also said the only people he'd ever seen complain about the steps were the guys who paid $435, and later discovered they actually got the same part as someone who bought the identical item for $90 on ebay!
Driver owns one 24 Ram. Not a dealer of anything. Just trying to help other fellow owners avoid the mistake described above by the Ram parts manager!

Jedi9

Reaction score
Many Mopar parts are made in China, I used to buy Mopar branded Jeep parts coming from the same factory, with the same part numbers, as the ones coming across the Mopar parts counter. The ones that cry foul the most are the ones purchasing the same part from Mopar as whats available on Amazon. I've studied parts side by side, not saying there aren't counterfeit parts but the easiest way the Chicons can make them is in the same factory with the dies that are already built.

dajogejr

Reaction score
I'm having the oem step I stalled this week at the local dealership..
Hopefully it'll all go well.
Biggest challenge for me is remembering I have one. I’ve had a RAM since 06, on my 4th one. USING the multifunction tailgate and step are outstanding, but my habits have me folding it down, instead of opening it up and utilizing the step.

Mine has been flawless…when I remember :)

Jedi9

Reaction score
Factory fit, factory finish, 100 clams installed, what's not to love?
bedstep 2.jpg bedstep1.jpg

Jedi9

Reaction score
I put it on in the dark and never really paid attention. I thought it had powder coat. It does match well with the bumper

Users who are viewing this thread