5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram bed step issues

dtblust

Reaction score
Has anyone had issues with their bed step? I just installed a new bed step into my 2023 ram 1500. When I attempted to step on it the step begins to fold in. Is there something that may need adjusting?

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Has anyone had issues with their bed step? I just installed a new bed step into my 2023 ram 1500. When I attempted to step on it the step begins to fold in. Is there something that may need adjusting?
Something isn't right. You should have to push it forward, and sort of lift, for it to go in. Any downward pressure should make it open.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah. I pretty much have to kick mine back in. Did you install a Mopar brand?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Is it the Mopar bed step or a cheap knock off?

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, I need to put some weight behind pushing that step back into its stored position. There is so much tension in both directions, there is no way the OEM bed step will do anything like that. Unless it’s installed wrong, which even still doesn’t add up, you have either an inferior aftermarket part, or a very broken Mopar bed step. Curious minds could use some pics of the step…📸👍

Sparcky

Reaction score
I used to find that the factory installed step had a lot of spring pressure on my 2022 to open it up, and push it closed. But never had it try to close when stepping on it. I have also installed an aftermarket one on a 2023 and its less spring pressure to open and close, but doesn't close when stepping on it.

dtblust

Reaction score
Is it the Mopar bed step or a cheap knock off?
I would have to believe it is the mopar step. I purchased it off of market place. The previous owner purchased it for his truck he had leased but never got around to installing it. The step was still in its original mopar box and packaging and had the mopar instructions in the box.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is it hitting bumper or exhaust and not opening all the way?

dtblust

Reaction score
Hard to tell from angle only picture. Is the step angle up when extended out?

It should be parallel with the ground.
I haven’t checked to see if it is perfectly level. It might be angled upward. I will need to look at it further and see if something is bent or if it’s interfering with something.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I haven’t checked to see if it is perfectly level. It might be angled upward. I will need to look at it further and see if something is bent or if it’s interfering with something.
Could be an issue with the install if it's not flat. If the end is angled up, when you try to step on it, it could possibly try to retract as the angle of the pressure isn't straight down

Driver

Reaction score
In most cases the mopar and aftermarket part are actually the same. The key to installation is that the mechanism must be clear of the tailpipe. If its clear your step should extend to roughly level and operate smoothly.

When buying a step, Beware because the parts are different for pre and post 2019, and they are different for 1500s and 2500s.

For the 2019+ 1500 DT new body style only, the acceptable part numbers are any of the following ; 82215289AG ; 82215289 ; 82215289AB ; 82215289AC ; 82215289AD ; 82215289AE; 82215289AF

On Amazon they average about $99 and on ebay about $89. At the Ram stealer the same part number is $435, really.

And here's the kicker, if you buy one of those part numbers on ebay or amazon, you will have most likely bought the oem Mopar part! They are usually identical and the welds and paint are super high quality. It's one time in life you'll get almost free lunch!

Many of the ebay and amazon parts have the mopar number stamped on them. Some don't but still are in most cases the oem part.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
In most cases the mopar and aftermarket part are actually the same. The key to installation is that the mechanism must be clear of the tailpipe. If its clear your step should extend to roughly level and operate smoothly.

When buying a step, Beware because the parts are different for pre and post 2019, and they are different for 1500s and 2500s.

For the 2019+ 1500 DT new body style only, the acceptable part numbers are any of the following ; 82215289AG ; 82215289 ; 82215289AB ; 82215289AC ; 82215289AD ; 82215289AE; 82215289AF

On Amazon they average about $99 and on ebay about $89. At the Ram stealer the same part number is $435, really.

And here's the kicker, if you buy one of those part numbers on ebay or amazon, you will have most likely bought the oem Mopar part! They are usually identical and the welds and paint are super high quality. It's one time in life you'll get almost free lunch!

Many of the ebay and amazon parts have the mopar number stamped on them. Some don't but still are in most cases the oem part.

This is absolutely wrong! The eBay and Amazon $99 steps are not OEM. They are cheap Chinese junk.

Driver

Reaction score
Just bought one on ebay, and previously one on Amazon. They were both absolutely identical to the $435 mopar item

Users who are viewing this thread