5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RAM BEATS CHEVY IN 2019 3RD QUARTER SALES

Rebel Randy

Reaction score
Ram had beaten GM in whole in one of the last months as well.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Not so fast. People pick the stat they prefer, but when you add up GMC + Chevy sales, they are the leader for this quarter, even beating Ford.

You can make the case that Chevy and GMC are "different trucks", and they have a different appearance, but to me it's no different than the difference between a Bighorn and a Rebel. Especially with trucks, where buyers are extremely brand loyal, if the one wasn't around they would buy the other rather than buy a non GM.

In any case, GM as a corporation must have done _something_ right with these new trucks, despite all the guys (who would never buy a GM anyway) complaining about the poor interior. I'm sure GM doesn't care whether it's one label (chevy) or the other (gmc), in the end they're bringing home the cash more than FCA and Ford this quarter on their trucks.

I looked long and hard at the Sierra, it's a great truck. In the end, they wanted $10,000+ more for the same Ram I purchased, since I liked both trucks I didn't see the value in the Sierra.

Rebel Randy

Reaction score
JMHO but the new GM trucks have the worst design I've seen since being on this planet from 1970

silver billet

Reaction score
JMHO but the new GM trucks have the worst design I've seen since being on this planet from 1970

Nothing wrong with that opinion :) I on the other hand feel the complete opposite. The exteriors of the new twins are best looking of all full size, hands down. I prefer it over my Ram to be honest. I can't stand any GM trucks from like 2000 up to 2018, several generations there. The best improvement they made was getting rid of those silly square wheel arches, making it the truck a little bigger all around, dual exhaust integrated perfectly into the bumper, large aggressive grills out front etc etc. Absolutely stunning, especially the High Country. The interiors are a little more plain and simple, and I do prefer my Ram's interior. And the Ram's Hemi of course was a big pull, the 5.3 wasn't enough for me and the 6.2 was way out of my price range.

I'm not a brand fanboy/zealot, each truck has a lot going for it these days though I just can't get behind the Titan with it's goofy Asian styling.

Barney556180

Reaction score
The best improvement they made was getting rid of those silly square wheel arches,
Agree. I just couldn’t get past that styling gimmick exaggerated more with each generation. IMO the Chevy/GMC twins are a lot better for going with round wheel openings.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with that opinion :) I on the other hand feel the complete opposite. The exteriors of the new twins are best looking of all full size, hands down. I prefer it over my Ram to be honest. I can't stand any GM trucks from like 2000 up to 2018, several generations there. The best improvement they made was getting rid of those silly square wheel arches, making it the truck a little bigger all around, dual exhaust integrated perfectly into the bumper, large aggressive grills out front etc etc. Absolutely stunning, especially the High Country. The interiors are a little more plain and simple, and I do prefer my Ram's interior. And the Ram's Hemi of course was a big pull, the 5.3 wasn't enough for me and the 6.2 was way out of my price range.

I'm not a brand fanboy/zealot, each truck has a lot going for it these days though I just can't get behind the Titan with it's goofy Asian styling.

From an interior perspective I agree they are horrible (column shifter really?).

Outside the GMC looks pretty good with the 6.2 motor.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Not so fast. People pick the stat they prefer, but when you add up GMC + Chevy sales, they are the leader for this quarter, even beating Ford.

You can make the case that Chevy and GMC are "different trucks", and they have a different appearance, but to me it's no different than the difference between a Bighorn and a Rebel. Especially with trucks, where buyers are extremely brand loyal, if the one wasn't around they would buy the other rather than buy a non GM.

In any case, GM as a corporation must have done _something_ right with these new trucks, despite all the guys (who would never buy a GM anyway) complaining about the poor interior. I'm sure GM doesn't care whether it's one label (chevy) or the other (gmc), in the end they're bringing home the cash more than FCA and Ford this quarter on their trucks.

I looked long and hard at the Sierra, it's a great truck. In the end, they wanted $10,000+ more for the same Ram I purchased, since I liked both trucks I didn't see the value in the Sierra.

True, it's a little cherry picking. However, combined GM sales are still behind Ford for the whole year and unlikely to surpass them. The last time GM combined has beaten Ford for the whole year was in 2015, they did it 2 other times in the last 3 decades, not a common occurrence.

But it's still an accomplishment that with all the angst against the new GM designs, they have been able to still sell well. But then again, Ford is still number one with the oldest design and the smallest incentives, so that really also shows how strong loyalty is with full size trucks.

silver billet

Reaction score
True, it's a little cherry picking. However, combined GM sales are still behind Ford for the whole year and unlikely to surpass them. The last time GM combined has beaten Ford for the whole year was in 2015, they did it 2 other times in the last 3 decades, not a common occurrence.

But it's still an accomplishment that with all the angst against the new GM designs, they have been able to still sell well. But then again, Ford is still number one with the oldest design and the smallest incentives, so that really also shows how strong loyalty is with full size trucks.

I don't think there is a lot of angst though, at least with the exterior it is more a case of some very vocal youtubers or guys on forums bashing it, but it's probably more a case of Ford/Ram guys who were never going to buy it anyway, trying to find something wrong with it. It doesn't matter what GM did with the exterior in terms of styling, the haters were going to hate it anyway. The interior is an easy target of course, and the interior is easier to justify as "lacking" because there it's not just a matter of style, but also material quality (and missing features). But the exterior is stunning if you're able to dial down the inner brand loyalty.

As for the Ford popularity, they make a pretty good truck, and they are extremely competitive with the other full size trucks of course... so then at that point, being in first place sort of comes with it's own momentum, some guys/gals just buy it because it has the perception of being "best" simply because it sells the most.

If 2019 was the first year any of us saw a pickup truck for the first year ever, and we had to pick the current offerings from Ram/Ford/GM, is the Ford that much more compelling an offering that it justifies the current sales numbers? I don't see it.

So yeah I agree; brand loyalty and momentum are the primary reason why Ford is selling those types of numbers this year.

silver billet

Reaction score
From an interior perspective I agree they are horrible (column shifter really?).

Outside the GMC looks pretty good with the 6.2 motor.

The column shifter is one of those things... I love it, even after driving my Bighorn for half a year I still find the shifter knob a bit "feminine" (I know that's not PC these days, oops). There is something extremely satisfying and engaging, about having the column shifter vs the littley clicky dial that I still confuse for the volume knob from time to time. The big trucks (2500/3500) from Ram still use the shifter too, so.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I don't think there is a lot of angst though, at least with the exterior it is more a case of some very vocal youtubers or guys on forums bashing it, but it's probably more a case of Ford/Ram guys who were never going to buy it anyway, trying to find something wrong with it. It doesn't matter what GM did with the exterior in terms of styling, the haters were going to hate it anyway. The interior is an easy target of course, and the interior is easier to justify as "lacking" because there it's not just a matter of style, but also material quality (and missing features). But the exterior is stunning if you're able to dial down the inner brand loyalty.

As for the Ford popularity, they make a pretty good truck, and they are extremely competitive with the other full size trucks of course... so then at that point, being in first place sort of comes with it's own momentum, some guys/gals just buy it because it has the perception of being "best" simply because it sells the most.

If 2019 was the first year any of us saw a pickup truck for the first year ever, and we had to pick the current offerings from Ram/Ford/GM, is the Ford that much more compelling an offering that it justifies the current sales numbers? I don't see it.

So yeah I agree; brand loyalty and momentum are the primary reason why Ford is selling those types of numbers this year.

All makes sense to me, I actually like the GM exterior. In fact, I like the Trail Blazer's looks more than all RAMs except the Rebel, even then it's pretty close. However, their interior is garbage for a 2019 truck, I actually prefer the now ancient F150 interior in comparison.

What's scary is Ford's dominance in the face of all-new designs and lower incentives. I can just imagine what the 2021 all-new F150 will do, including all an electric variant. I will give Ford props for leading the way in innovation with full size. Everything they did in 2015, high use of aluminum, smaller displacement turbo motors, start/top, etc., RAM and GM has essentially followed suit in various ways, especially GM.

Fmrchvy

Reaction score
I’m coming from a 2017 Silverado, I could have went with a 2019 Silverado but chose the Ram. Trust me, it isn’t just vocal you tubers that slam the new GM twins, it is a lot of current owners of the 2018 and older trucks. The new style is plain unattractive to many and even worse is the subpar interior and low quality of materials.

I chose the Ram. The GM twins offer the anemic 5.3 liter in the majority of their trucks, that engine is a dog. Off the line, it is slow. I also looked at the F-150, the interior is terrible compared to the Ram. So...I decided to take a chance and go for the Ram.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
...and a heckuva lot of fleet sales.

True, but aren't full size fleet sales the type of sales you want? Such as construction companies, farmers and city municipalities, the "hard hat" type of people that the domestics love to show in their truck ads.

Kinda positive when businesses buy and use your brand over the others?

agjr85

Reaction score
I cross shopped all three before taking a RAM. I've had both RAM and Chevy in the past, never a Ford.
Ford was my second choice. RAM had my attention, and wife likes the Chebby from the past. We went to the dealer and she was lured by the Trail Boss.
Sales guy opened the interior and she was like .. this is gay (no offense meant).

Went back to RAM and took her home the next day.

I don't mind the exterior of the new Silverado.

silver billet

Reaction score
I will give Ford props for leading the way in innovation with full size. Everything they did in 2015, high use of aluminum, smaller displacement turbo motors, start/top, etc., RAM and GM has essentially followed suit in various ways, especially GM.

Is it really fair to call any of that stuff listed there "innovation" though? I mean yeah they added that stuff there first, but turbos are old news, start/stop is old news, aluminim... well ok, mainly just weight savings through different material. Nothing really earth shattering.

I'm not a fan of turbos, so Ford going there first is not a plus in my book. I'd much rather see more innovation along the lines of Ram and GM; keep the 8 cylinders, but do everything in your power to turn them off when not needed or provide fuel savings somehow.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Is it really fair to call any of that stuff listed there "innovation" though? I mean yeah they added that stuff there first, but turbos are old news, start/stop is old news, aluminim... well ok, mainly just weight savings through different material. Nothing really earth shattering.

I'm not a fan of turbos, so Ford going there first is not a plus in my book. I'd much rather see more innovation along the lines of Ram and GM; keep the 8 cylinders, but do everything in your power to turn them off when not needed or provide fuel savings somehow.

For the implementation of them on full size trucks, I think it was. I don't mean they created those things, just that they were the first to put them on a large truck, which neither GM or FCA wanted to risk at the time. Now they are all doing it, regardless of how we feel about it.

Ford took the leap and everyone followed. Smaller displacement turbo motors will have to happen, GM took it a step further with a 4-cylinder turbo. They also made fun of aluminum, but only the roof, fenders and bed are still steel on their trucks.

Start/Stop is dubious at best I agree, my F150 had it. The 2.7L Ecoboost easily smokes my Hemi while getting 4-5 mpg better in all conditions. Never had an issue with that truck. But I honestly prefer my Hemi, mainly for the sound. But time waits for no one, and if we still want full size trucks in the near future, V8s are probably on their way out, at least in the light duty 1500 class. Ford is going full electric on an F150 variant next year, the rest will follow.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score

+1 on getting rid of the square wheel wells. I vowed to never buy a Chevy because of those wheel wells.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I always liked my 2.7 eco. The 10 speed is getting bad press on their forums. Glad that Ram stayed with the ZF 8. I just would have preferred 3.55 gears with the hemi... still don’t get that move at all. It cannot possibly save that much to eliminate the 3.55 from the mix. :rolleyes:

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I for one put 33K miles on a 2017 twin turbo (tuned) Ford Raptor. It was my second Raptor. LOVED LOVED LOVED my 2011 with the 6.2. Never could get used to the turbo 6 in the new one. So...now I drive a Ram.

Users who are viewing this thread