5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram app not free

Bmrgn39

Reaction score
My last 4 vehicles were Fords. Ford’s vehicle app is free. I could lock my car from my bed using the app for absolutely no money. I just bought my first Ram back in April. I didn’t know other brands charged for their apps so I was very disappointed to get the email notifying me my free trial was ending and I’d have to pay $15 a month to maintain the features that were free in the Ford app. Is there anything I’m misunderstanding or does Chrysler really charge for such a basic feature?

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My last 4 vehicles were Fords. Ford’s vehicle app is free. I could lock my car from my bed using the app for absolutely no money. I just bought my first Ram back in April. I didn’t know other brands charged for their apps so I was very disappointed to get the email notifying me my free trial was ending and I’d have to pay $15 a month to maintain the features that were free in the Ford app. Is there anything I’m misunderstanding or does Chrysler really charge for such a basic feature?
No misunderstanding. It's a paid service. Other companies will be following suite in the future from news I've read. It's not a basic feature either. It's also managed by Sirius and not really by Chrysler from what I understand.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ford is not giving you anything for free. They are just adding the cost to the price of the vehicle.

GM started doing the same thing with Onstar service. Initially, they included 3 years of Onstar as a $900 mandatory option on certain vehicles. When customers complained they added $900 to the base price of the vehicles and listed it as 3 years of free Onstar.

Personally, I would rather they make it a separate service to give me the choice.

irishwake63

Reaction score
Ford is not giving you anything for free. They are just adding the cost to the price of the vehicle.

GM started doing the same thing with Onstar service. Initially, they included 3 years of Onstar as a $900 mandatory option on certain vehicles. When customers complained they added $900 to the base price of the vehicles and listed it as 3 years of free Onstar.

Personally, I would rather they make it a separate service to give me the choice.
how do you add the 900 to a used vehicle that you still dont have to pay for the app?

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
how do you add the 900 to a used vehicle that you still dont have to pay for the app?

No need. The feature was already paid for by the original purchaser and they had no choice. Also, more features tend to increase the cost of a used vehicle as well. If you want to believe the manufacture is giving you "free" features have at it.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Chevy does the same thing, nothing is free anymore.

And Im only paying $6 a month for connected services through Sirius that lets me lock/unlock, remote start, And track my vehicle. Just have to be paitientm. Went two years without it, and they sent an email with that deal

Adrianp89

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does it work any better than it used to? in 2019 when I got my truck it was relatively useless. Wouldn't mind paying if it worked.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Does it work any better than it used to? in 2019 when I got my truck it was relatively useless. Wouldn't mind paying if it worked.
Takes a couple minutes for the commands to go through. Have to plan accordingly.

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
Chevy does the same thing, nothing is free anymore.

And Im only paying $6 a month for connected services through Sirius that lets me lock/unlock, remote start, And track my vehicle. Just have to be paitientm. Went two years without it, and they sent an email with that deal
ill be waiting for this email. lol

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The only thing I remember is the remote start took forever to work. I would do it in my office then by the time I got down to the car it still didn't work.
I never used it when I had the Ram up, but I did try it the other day on my new Challenger, and experienced just what you did. It literally took two 1-2 minutes each time for the car to start. My wife's Infiniti is pretty quick, and her previous Explorer was instantaneous. Stellantis might need to borrow someone else's satellites...

Users who are viewing this thread