5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram 2019 Models Comparison to Ford F150

PaulR65

Reaction score
Hi,
I am trying to determine how the 2019 Ram models line up in comparison to the Ford F150 models. I realize that Ford has far fewer models today (used to be 7, and now many are just appearance packages) , so I know it can't be one to one and maybe using the pre-2015 F150 models might be a benefit. So far to the best of my estimation I only have:

Ram 1500 Tradesman - Ford F150 XL
Ram 1500 Bighorn - Ford F150 XLT (or using pre-2015 modeling scheme potentially some place between STX and XLT depending on options)

After that I am not sure other than I think truck for truck the 2019 Ram is 1) the far more affordable choice that offers far better options, and 2) you can attain an equivalent or better option from Ram for less that say for an F150.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Laramie is Lariat
Longhorn is King Ranch
Limited is Limited/Platinum

I have nothing against Ford or the other makers, if I had a Ford? It would probably be a King Ranch, with the 5.0 coyote, FX4, 3.73 gears.
With bumper work, a light lift, and some all terrain tires added on after sale. A Ram Rebel (for me) was very close to this, give or take a few things.

This is pretty good guideline.

To Add: Ford doesn't have a rebel equivalent (with REAL factory All-Terrain tires, and a bumper with no air-dam for better offroading), short of the Raptor. The FX4 isn't quite the same (again, tires and bumper situation).
Ford Also has great engine choices if you want a V6, or a V6 with a turbo on it, or a slightly larger V6 with a turbo on it.
If you don't, it has 1 V8 and 1 diesel, which is what Ram is basically offering. Well, Ram offers their V8, an etorque V8, and has the eco-diesel coming real soon.
Plus Ram has Ramboxes, a 12in screen if desired, 3.92 gear ratio, air suspension setup if desired.
My Hemi V8 does not have start-stop which is a feature I did not want.

I personally don't think there's a real quality difference between the makes.
Ram, being the 3rd brand, does have to be priced to entice buyers from GM and Ford's trucks!
To get a GM truck the equivalent of my Rebel, it would be a GMC AT4 1500, with the 6.2L V8 and a bunch of other things. The sticker would end up closer to or over $60,000 than $55,000. And it wouldn't have ramboxes and it would need premium gas.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
When I was pricing Laramies vs Lariat’s, Ford was easily 7-10 higher.
I didnt even consider pricing a Ltd against a Platinum.
Even before the monster rebates this month, I still was able to afford a Ltd.
There’s no possible way I could have swung a Platinum...

jastevenson

Reaction score
F-150 holds value quite a bit better than RAM though so realistically would get at least half of the price difference back at resale time.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
F-150 holds value quite a bit better than RAM though so realistically would get at least half of the price difference back at resale time.
I'm not sure the value is much more on a Ford, maybe slightly. I only paid 35K for my 2014 Ram Sport and I got 22K on trade in after 4 1/2 years. I thought 13K depreciation is not bad over 4.5 years.

PaulR65

Reaction score
I have nothing against Ford or the other makers, if I had a Ford? It would probably be a King Ranch, with the 5.0 coyote, FX4, 3.73 gears.
With bumper work, a light lift, and some all terrain tires added on after sale. A Ram Rebel (for me) was very close to this, give or take a few things.

This is pretty good guideline.

To Add: Ford doesn't have a rebel equivalent (with REAL factory All-Terrain tires, and a bumper with no air-dam for better offroading), short of the Raptor. The FX4 isn't quite the same (again, tires and bumper situation).
Ford Also has great engine choices if you want a V6, or a V6 with a turbo on it, or a slightly larger V6 with a turbo on it.
If you don't, it has 1 V8 and 1 diesel, which is what Ram is basically offering. Well, Ram offers their V8, an etorque V8, and has the eco-diesel coming real soon.
Plus Ram has Ramboxes, a 12in screen if desired, 3.92 gear ratio, air suspension setup if desired.
My Hemi V8 does not have start-stop which is a feature I did not want.

I personally don't think there's a real quality difference between the makes.
Ram, being the 3rd brand, does have to be priced to entice buyers from GM and Ford's trucks!
To get a GM truck the equivalent of my Rebel, it would be a GMC AT4 1500, with the 6.2L V8 and a bunch of other things. The sticker would end up closer to or over $60,000 than $55,000. And it wouldn't have ramboxes and it would need premium gas.
Thank you for your reply and perspective. Of note, I love the Rebel myself but being I was trading in a leased F150 XLT I only had so much room to work with to keep the payments where I wanted them (they came out less than what I was paying on my Ford lease, surprisingly) and I got a great deal on the Quad Cab.

Prior to that F150 I had F150's going back to 2001 so I was a long time Ford brand-er and this new 2019 Ram convinced me to jump ship considering dollar for dollar I got a lot more. True too that to get to #1 and #2 the latter of which I think Ram has achieved at least starting this year, you have to put a lot of $$$ incentives out there to catch up and I believe over the long haul Ram will catch Ford.

As I probably mentioned previous, Ford is just pricing people like me out of the market. I heard the same thing from 4 other gentlemen who had Fords or were jumping brands at a Feb. Car Show out here. One of the main things that frustrated me beyond towing issues were the pricing of the options and option packages and in a smaller case, the availability of the Sync 3 system versus that of the old 4.5 inch older Sync system was a tough on too swallow.

Seems any of the F-150's that carried the Sync 3 were all priced out over $43k because it was included in a more premium option package with heated seats, fog lights, heated power mirrors and other little do dads leaving. Then if you wanted courtesy lights under your mirrors, that was another lump sum option package. It was just insane. I got all that and more with my Bighorn and for under $40k.

As well comparing even the outgoing Ram model with the 2015 - current F-150, the Ram's interior far outshines Ford. Ford is starting to look old not mention that when climb in an F-250 it's the same interior. So in the end it was really all those factors that led to my brand jump and I am happy.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply and perspective. Of note, I love the Rebel myself but being I was trading in a leased F150 XLT I only had so much room to work with to keep the payments where I wanted them (they came out less than what I was paying on my Ford lease, surprisingly) and I got a great deal on the Quad Cab.

Prior to that F150 I had F150's going back to 2001 so I was a long time Ford brand-er and this new 2019 Ram convinced me to jump ship considering dollar for dollar I got a lot more. True too that to get to #1 and #2 the latter of which I think Ram has achieved at least starting this year, you have to put a lot of $$$ incentives out there to catch up and I believe over the long haul Ram will catch Ford.

As I probably mentioned previous, Ford is just pricing people like me out of the market. I heard the same thing from 4 other gentlemen who had Fords or were jumping brands at a Feb. Car Show out here. One of the main things that frustrated me beyond towing issues were the pricing of the options and option packages and in a smaller case, the availability of the Sync 3 system versus that of the old 4.5 inch older Sync system was a tough on too swallow.

Seems any of the F-150's that carried the Sync 3 were all priced out over $43k because it was included in a more premium option package with heated seats, fog lights, heated power mirrors and other little do dads leaving. Then if you wanted courtesy lights under your mirrors, that was another lump sum option package. It was just insane. I got all that and more with my Bighorn and for under $40k.

As well comparing even the outgoing Ram model with the 2015 - current F-150, the Ram's interior far outshines Ford. Ford is starting to look old not mention that when climb in an F-250 it's the same interior. So in the end it was really all those factors that led to my brand jump and I am happy.

If I'm being really honest - while I wasn't driving a fullsize truck until the Rams? In the early 2000s, Ford would have been my choice.
The early 2000s superduty trucks were instant classics in my opinion. VERY good looking trucks. The 2014 super duties, same. The F-150s were pretty cool, and if I was asked "what truck are you going to get" in the year 2014 I'd strongly consider an F-150 with a 6.2 V8 in it.
Hell the Gen1 raptor to me is/was one of the coolest vehicles on the road.
If anything I think it's why I like my Rebel so much, it has the things I liked about that vehicle, in a practical package. The slight lift, real A/T tires, the styling, a big 400hp V8.

In 2019, I do think that Ford may have made a few errors.
Tripling down on the ecoboosts (including making it the ONLY engine choice in their fullsize SUVs expedition and the Navigator from Lincoln), the pricing, and how the trim packages are done.

I think you made a 100% logical choice. It's 2019, everyone's roughly equal - Hell remember when Cummins was hands down the best diesel engine and it was the consensus pick? Fast Forward to today, the conversation looks like, "The cummins is arguably the best diesel", because the other 2 have come such a long way. Ram puts out a competitive product now, styling is right, packaging is right, pricing is right.
It makes 100% sense that some guys are switching!

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm not really brand loyal at all. I thought I was, since I drove Nissans for 20 years, but the new Titan is ugly and overpriced compared to the Ram. I buy Fords at work because we get fleet pricing, which Ram and Chevy won't do anymore (at least where I am) so I had that comparison too. In my opinion there's no better truck for the money than the Ram right now. In 2004 when I bought my Titan it was the best truck for the money. 20 years from now when it's time to trade again, who knows what will be the best for the money. But it is not an accident Ram has been knocking Chevy out of second place.

Ford makes a nice truck but they're too damn proud of their trucks. The pricing sucks on them.

HKP7PSP

Reaction score
I looked at all of them before deciding on the RAM. I thought the RAM was the best value for the price, but so was my Jeep Grand Cherokee vs the Explorer and what not.

I was very close to buying a 2018 F150 Lariat, and even told the Ford dealer that I still wanted to check out a RAM. They tried to talk me out of it. Well, the rest is history.

Granite5thgen

Reaction score
Was talking with a guy at work the other day, has a 16 f150 lariat. Same options as mine but only his has leather. His truck was over 3k more than mine at msrp. He said there was like 500 in incentives. I showed him pics of my interior and truck and told him the price of 52k plus 4500 in incentives and he was like....WTF. when he trades that in I think we may have another convert on our hands!

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Was talking with a guy at work the other day, has a 16 f150 lariat. Same options as mine but only his has leather. His truck was over 3k more than mine at msrp. He said there was like 500 in incentives. I showed him pics of my interior and truck and told him the price of 52k plus 4500 in incentives and he was like....WTF. when he trades that in I think we may have another convert on our hands!

The look on their face that says, "I'm not seeing 3-5k more truck here..."
I'm amazed at how the F-150 seems dated already?
Didn't it come out in 2015? It's only been 4 years, with a refresh in 2018?
And yet it just seems older than it is

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
fords eco boost v6 is way faster than my 2019 rebel 5.7 ,I've driven both huge difference
Motors definitely favor the Ford, I agree. My 2.7 was really sweet and for performance or heavy towing the 3.5 had gobs of tq. The redesigned engine is that much better. While I was suspicious of their long term reliability, I sold my F150 before the warranty expired so I don’t know. I have read of the 2018 5.0 issues but little about any blown 3.5’s from way back (2012).

Last edited by a moderator:

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I hear this quite a bit but its not panned out for myself. I have had 5 Rams since 2002 all Laramie's. When I traded my trucks Ram Laramie was a very near the same as trade in Value of the Ford Lariats (which I had two Fords before 2002 going to Rams.) Each time before trades I have driven a Ford lariat to find less options and some options not available (Such as air suspension Rear Gear Etc.) on the Lariat with Ford being 9 to 11 K higher than Ram on new purchase prices with all rebates etc. and just under or about the same as Ram on trade in! Ford lost me over not wanting to repair two different Ford trucks under warranty and the Ford trucks are not in any way better quality than a Ram for 8 to 10K more. Ram has not denied any Warranty ever on any that I have owned or even argued about any. Two of the Rams were never in shop for any thing not even a recall!But from 2011 and up there is much gadgetry on all the new trucks to have need for warranty. I have never owned Chevy/GMC truck but My Son has a new one and he likes it with no issues....when he takes the boat to the lake he always takes the Ram...lol.

Zeeya

Reaction score
Ford/Ram comparison. I have been driving company vehicles since 1993. All Ford. They never left me on the side of the road, but I never was a fan. 2010 was put on a great car allowance and got the Tundra and put the factory TRD supercharge on it at 32,000 miles. Got rid of it a 142,000 miles and never had a problem with it. I got put in a F150 lariat 2014 with the ecoboost. Actually a great running engine and did really well in the hills in W Texas. Both turbos went out at 93,000 miles. Company had them replaced and I drove it to 175,000 with no more problem. The guy they gave it to run it to 245,000 with no problems. He informed after I had quit, the turbos that went out were the first gen. He said they have second gen turbos now and more reliable.
Long story short, when I went in to consulting I bought a 2017 KR F150 FX4 with the 5.0. Dumped it at 64,000 miles. My journey out to W Texas and 2 weeks there the truck would stay in 5th most of the time with the slightest wind or incline. Enter the Rebel about right at 8 weeks ago and 7750 miles. I love it. The ride is so much better than the KR and the 5.7 has no trouble in the hills. My mpg's are getting better and even with the 392's it's better than what I was getting with the 5.0. I'm sold on the Ram.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Sounds about exactly like what Ive experienced with my F150, have heard and read. The 5.0 isn't a very big displacement V8 and it struggled with a heavier truck.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Not sure, the Coyote V8 was recently tested at 5.4 second 0-60, though it's usually rated slower than either 2.7L or 3.5L Ecoboost 0-60 when tested together.

I wills say this, my 2.7L Ecoboost 2015 F150 was an absolutely giant killer in terms of performance, faster than my recent sedans honestly and would probably blow the doors off my RAM.

However, that's not the point of these trucks. My RAM, other than the abysmal mpg so far, is better in just about every way to my 2015 F150, which by the way I absolutely adored. You can't go wrong with either, but the current F150 is the oldest of the big three platforms and it shows it. Though I would get another F150 before any GM truck.

Factor in the great deals RAM has on their trucks and it's an absolute hands down winner on the RAM. The next F150 is coming out soon, which I suspect will be the best truck again, but that's not for at least another year.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If I could have gotten a similarly equipped F-150 for what I paid for my Ram I would have gone that route. The 3.5 Eco’s make more power and get better mileage than the Hemi does and there really aren’t many bugs in them. But I wasn’t giving $8000 + more for a similarly equipped F-150. There was a time when they had some amazing rebates but as of late your lucky to get 10-12% off MSRP in discounts in my area and the sticker price keeps going up. That being said, resale is a not point if you pay so much more upfront.

Last edited:

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Not sure, the Coyote V8 was recently tested at 5.4 second 0-60, though it's usually rated slower than either 2.7L or 3.5L Ecoboost 0-60 when tested together.

I wills say this, my 2.7L Ecoboost 2015 F150 was an absolutely giant killer in terms of performance, faster than my recent sedans honestly and would probably blow the doors off my RAM.

However, that's not the point of these trucks. My RAM, other than the abysmal mpg so far, is better in just about every way to my 2015 F150, which by the way I absolutely adored. You can't go wrong with either, but the current F150 is the oldest of the big three platforms and it shows it. Though I would get another F150 before any GM truck.

Factor in the great deals RAM has on their trucks and it's an absolute hands down winner on the RAM. The next F150 is coming out soon, which I suspect will be the best truck again, but that's not for at least another year.
Did I ghost write this post? Sounds like what I’ve said on a couple threads.
I decided on the (2015) 2.7 F150 after just 30 seconds taking it out on the highway... I wasn't even concerned with the interior.
Now this tine the interior and cabin sold us on the RAM, and the hemi, while ok, wasn't the reason I wanted the truck. I actually don't think the hemi is anything special but the truck around it is, air conditioning notwithstanding.

Users who are viewing this thread