5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RAM 1500 Ride Quality - Suspension, Gear Ratio and Differentials

Ages

Reaction score
I've read quite a bit and watched many videos on the Suspension, Gear Ratios, Anti-Spin and Electronic Locking rear differentials. I'm trying to nail down which combination gives the RAM 1500 4x4 it's best ride quality. I would like to order a new RAM 1500 4x4 Ecodiesel but I must nail this down before I order. I'm considering a RAM Longhorn if I can special order the color I want. I'll settle for a Big Horn if I can't get the Longhorn in that color. But I'm hoping that someone here can help me understand if ride quality is enhanced or diminished when 3:92 gears and a coil suspension are combined with anti-spin? Same question but combined with Electronic Lock rear differential? Which of these two combinations gives a smoother ride? Lastly, does gear ration 3:92 versus 3:21 effect ride quality?

I understand how these combinations effect towing and off road capability. I also understand how tire type effects the ride. I am trying to make my mind up on whether to go with 3:92 with anti-spin or electronic lock. Or 3:21 with anti-spin or electronic lock. Most of my driving will be on paved or gravel roads. I will off road occasionally for hunting, fishing and camping.

I would have posted this in the Suspension area but it goes well beyond suspension only.

Last edited:

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I test drove a standard 4x4 and ended up with a North edition which has the same suspension as the off road package. I can tell you that the off road package rides noticeably firmer.

The higher you go in trim, the heavier the truck gets, the lower the payload gets, and the softer the ride feels.

So for the best ride quality, avoid bottom end trims and avoid off road suspension.

Ages

Reaction score
I test drove a standard 4x4 and ended up with a North edition which has the same suspension as the off road package. I can tell you that the off road package rides noticeably firmer.

The higher you go in trim, the heavier the truck gets, the lower the payload gets, and the softer the ride feels.

So for the best ride quality, avoid bottom end trims and avoid off road suspension.
The North Edition and the Off Road package both have extra HD shock absorbers. I'll have to check on the shocks on a standard 4x4 without those packages. I'm going to want to be able to tow a camper from time to time so I'll probably need heavy duty shocks.

Last edited:

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anti-spin vs e-locker or 3.21 vs 3.92 rearend isn't going to affect ride quality. They will affect traction, acceleration, MPG, and cruising RPM.

Coil springs vs air suspension, ORP springs/shocks vs standard suspension, and 18" vs 20" vs 22" wheels will all play a factor in the ride quality, as well as overall weight of truck as mentioned.

I'd think that a truck with the air suspension and 18" wheels would give you the softest ride but I'm just guessing since I haven't driven various combinations of these items.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The 3.92 has more low end power, which can make it feel a little jerky when you put it in gear or drive around in a parking lot. Which I like (y) As far as ride quality/comfort, your combo of tires and suspension will have a bigger factor than gear ratio

taz2016

Reaction score
Gear ratio and rear dif lock should not noticeably affect ride quality.
I can't speak of the air suspension but my coil sprung 18" stock wheel Bighorn rode incredibly well for a truck. Everybody who road in it was surprised by ride quality. I am more interested in handling so I changed to 20" factory takeoffs. It does handle better but the ride was noticeably worse. With the same tire 22" would be even worse for ride quality.

Ages

Reaction score
Gear ratio and rear dif lock should not noticeably affect ride quality.
I can't speak of the air suspension but my coil sprung 18" stock wheel Bighorn rode incredibly well for a truck. Everybody who road in it was surprised by ride quality. I am more interested in handling so I changed to 20" factory takeoffs. It does handle better but the ride was noticeably worse. With the same tire 22" would be even worse for ride quality.
Is your truck a 4x4? If so, does it have extra heavy duty shocks? Do you have 3:21 or 3:92 gears?

Last edited:

Kxlexus

Reaction score
Is your truck a 4x4? If so, does it have extra heavy duty shocks? Do you have 3:27 or 3:92 gears?
There is no 3.27 gear ratio available. If buying a HEMI your choices are either 3.21 or 3.92. Gear ratio and locking, no spin or open differential have zero influence on ride. None

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anti-spin vs e-locker or 3.21 vs 3.92 rearend isn't going to affect ride quality. They will affect traction, acceleration, MPG, and cruising RPM.

Coil springs vs air suspension, ORP springs/shocks vs standard suspension, and 18" vs 20" vs 22" wheels will all play a factor in the ride quality, as well as overall weight of truck as mentioned.
I agree with piening2150 comments. Axle ratio and differential type will have no bearing on ride. Weight will, however I don't know about how much the effect will be. I have a two-wheel drive and many people say it rides better than a car.

I will tell you that my two previous 4th gens had 20 inch wheels and tires and I think the ride is noticeably better in my 2019 Laramie will 18s.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 033507 miles.

Helmetface

Reaction score

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe ORP and North Edition have the same suspension?

JimD007

Reaction score
Bigger wheels means smaller sidewall height on the tire which means worse ride - but tighter handling. Best ride is smallest wheel with biggest sidewall. Air suspension should ride better. As has been stated, gearing doesn't affect ride, it affects pulling power, gas mileage, and acceleration. 3.21 will get better mileage because the engine will turn slower but for the same reason the acceleration and pulling power will be less.

Ages

Reaction score
There is no 3.27 gear ratio available. If buying a HEMI your choices are either 3.21 or 3.92. Gear ratio and locking, no spin or open differential have zero influence on ride. None
When I read your equipment it dawned on me that you pretty much have the same config with regard to gear ratio, rear differential that I am leaning toward. I believe I'm going to go with the Ecodiesel though, for longevity and towing capability. I hope you don't mind if I pick your brain a bit. Why did you go with 3:92 over 3:21, I'm suspecting the E-Lock may be partly why? Did your TKO2 tires effect your ride, make it firmer or effect it either way? I take it you don't have an air suspension, if not why did you decide against it? Have you ever regretted getting those Ram Boxes? If so, why? I know this is a little long but I think your answers could help me out tremendously. Thanks in advance, I certainly appreciate your input.

Granite2WD

Reaction score

The one thing lower end trims have going for them is more tire sidewall. That helps soften the ride.

Kxlexus

Reaction score
When I read your equipment it dawned on me that you pretty much have the same config with regard to gear ratio, rear differential that I am leaning toward. I believe I'm going to go with the Ecodiesel though, for longevity and towing capability. I hope you don't mind if I pick your brain a bit. Why did you go with 3:92 over 3:21, I'm suspecting the E-Lock may be partly why? Did your TKO2 tires effect your ride, make it firmer or effect it either way? I take it you don't have an air suspension, if not why did you decide against it? Have you ever regretted getting those Ram Boxes? If so, why? I know this is a little long but I think your answers could help me out tremendously. Thanks in advance, I certainly appreciate your input.
I’ll try to answer to best of my ability. The 3.92 gears were a must have for me. My previous Ram had 3.92 gears and I love the improved acceleration over the 3.21. My truck has the no-spin rear differential. I would be equally as pleased with the E-locker. I wouldn’t buy a truck with an open rear differential. I don’t know how much the ride changed when I added the KO 2’s because I only put 20 miles on the original equipment tires. As I swapped the tires on the way home from buying my truck new. I absolutely love the Ramboxes and don’t plan to buy a truck without them ever again. As for the Air Suspension, I had it on my 2013 Ram and liked it fine. Never had any trouble with it in the 6 years I owned it. I would be satisfied with or without. This truck happened to have the coil springs and most everything else I wanted so I did without the Air Ride this time.
My must haves were 4x4, Ramboxes, 3.92 gears, Longhorn trim locking rear differential and a few other things.
I hope this helps you

Users who are viewing this thread