5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram 1500 Overland Build

Flynbanjo

Reaction score
Hey folks, I’m fairly new to the forum so, I hope you’ll indulge me for a few posts. I’m planning to snow-bird after 44 years of Alaskan winters. I decided to build an adventure/overland Ram 1500 for my excursions down south. My Alaska rig is a ’15 1500 Sport which I love. I thought about shipping it south and converting it. However, its 1450# payload gave me pause for concern as part of our adventures will include a pop-up camper. I thought about a 2500 but, after seeing the Gen 5’s have a whopping 1910# payload I knew what I wanted. I love the Sport model but this wasn’t offered in ’19 and started looking at Rebels. What I found was a Sport (what?). Apparently, they offered them in Canada only and, I found one in the US; with only 4400 miles on it to boot eh. Even the same cherry-burgundy color as my ’15 model.

The first order of business was to swap out the stock tires/wheels. It came with Nitto’s 421Qs on 22in rims. It has a 2-in leveling kit so I put on a set of 305/50/18 BFGs mounted on Method 304s. My ’15 Ram works okay not-leveled with 35’s so this should work too right? Wrong. Quite a bit of rubbing. I’m thinking about one of the 3 ½ in kits should do fine. I’m open to any suggestions or experiences other may have had. Especially with the suspension. The after-market suppliers haven’t seem to catch up yet.

Anyhow, I planning on a lot of upgrades so I’ll keep you posted. I’d appreciate any feedback on your experiences.

Next Up: Running Boards, Front Bumper and Winch

Attachments

• IMG_0479[1].JPG
    IMG_0479[1].JPG
    276 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0481[2].JPG
    IMG_0481[2].JPG
    214.8 KB · Views: 64

squid013

Reaction score
Go with only the best for suspension. Thuren..

Truck looks sharp. If you do any kind if real flexing it might rub, its really about proper offsets on the wheels. The other thing might come handy if you end up getting to where your breakover might an issue is having rock sliders.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread