5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram 1500 load rating question

Rambilt

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Does the load rating of the tires that originally came with the truck from the dealership meet the truck load ratings? I bought my truck used with after market tires size 295/35R24 So I'm not really sure what comes with my truck originally.

v/r

Rick

RVTRKN

Reaction score
The OE tires probably exceeded the the Ram load rating. But the load rating will be on the tire your currently running. It will give both metric and standard weight load rating on the side wall.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Did the Ram OE tires wheels come with 24"? I ask because the wheels should be considered as well in the load rating equation. Check with the Aftermarket wheel manufacture for the rating info.

Rambilt

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Did the Ram OE tires wheels come with 24"? I ask because the wheels should be considered as well in the load rating equation. Check with the Aftermarket wheel manufacture for the rating info.
No the original wheel is 20x9 and the tire size is 275/55R20 according to the sticker that was provided to me by the dealer when I bought it. I don't the tire brand or model that why I was asking.

The wheel that is currently on my truck is 24x10 and the offset is 20. I'm shopping for a set of tires right now and I've decided to go bigger in size as in 35/12.5 R24. The one I was looking at Custom Offsets website are the Radar Renegade RT but it does not meet my truck load ratings. The specs of the radar tires are 114 load index, load range is E, max load pressure is 2600@65 and with 10 ply.

So what is the load ratings on the original tires?

v/r

Rick

RVTRKN

Reaction score
X2 would be 5200 lbs combined, being E load, that is high for a 1500 or 1/2 ton. The max rate (GAWR) for the rear axle on your 1500 is only 4100 lbs, thats gives you 1100 lbs of safety. I hope that works for you, as noted previously check your wheels for their rating, they could be under Rams GAWR's. here a chart. You have more than enough tire if you go with the mentioned tire. The OE Ram Firestone tires are junk anyway, but the chart will give the axle and load ratings, just get a tire higher than those ratings, which seems to me you have.

Rambilt

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
X2 would be 5200 lbs combined, being E load, that is high for a 1500 or 1/2 ton. The max rate (GAWR) for the rear axle on your 1500 is only 4100 lbs, thats gives you 1100 lbs of safety. I hope that works for you, as noted previously check your wheels for their rating, they could be under Rams GAWR's. here a chart. You have more than enough tire if you go with the mentioned tire. The OE Ram Firestone tires are junk anyway, but the chart will give the axle and load ratings, just get a tire higher than those ratings, which seems to me you have.
Thank you very much for the link it sure does clears it for me. I'm not so sure why Custom Offsets website gives me a warning in red to check the load ratings on my vehicle every time I placed it in my cart. Thanks RVTRKN for your help. I'm going to check around locally to see if they can order it for me. I want to order the tires locally so when I encounter a balancing or off round issues with the tires I can always go back to them.

v/r

Rick

Rambilt

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So, I went to a local tire store and I was going to order the aforementioned tires but one of the reps convinced me to try out the tires they have in stock and if I don't like it I have thirty days to change my mind. Well took a lot of persuasion and he got me to go home with the tires they have in stock in 35/12.5R20 along with 20X9 +8 wheels. I kind of like it it's quiet and my truck seems to be a little responsive. The only issue I have is the new TPMS is not syncing with my truck and the speedometer requires calibrations. Other than that I think I'm golden.

v/r

rick

Attachments

• ram1.jpeg
    ram1.jpeg
    146.8 KB · Views: 17
  • ram2.jpeg
    ram2.jpeg
    141.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 24swheel.jpeg
    24swheel.jpeg
    151 KB · Views: 17

RVTRKN

Reaction score
And the wheels, should be at or above Ram's axle ratings as well. A neighbor of mine had some real nice wheels for his 3/4 ton Suburban and cracked one while towing his boat to Lake Havasu, turned out the weight rating wasn't enough for the Chevy Suburban rating and the manufacture wouldn't warranty them. Even though the boat was well within the the GCWR, the manufacture denied warranty.

Rambilt

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
And the wheels, should be at or above Ram's axle ratings as well. A neighbor of mine had some real nice wheels for his 3/4 ton Suburban and cracked one while towing his boat to Lake Havasu, turned out the weight rating wasn't enough for the Chevy Suburban rating and the manufacture wouldn't warranty them. Even though the boat was well within the the GCWR, the manufacture denied warranty.
You got me a little worried there for a bit, I have to checked the ratings of the wheels I bought. Phew, it was a relief they are rated at 2500lbs a piece. Thank you for looking out for a fellow forum members. The informations you provided to me are very invaluable. I feel some what safe now knowing the specs of the wheel and tires I bought are well above the specs. Now the brand of tires Sure Trac is yet to be proven its credibility and value the reviews I've found are just so-so. I guess I'll just have to see for myself. RVTRKN, thank you very much for you advises.

v/r

Rick

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Thanks for the compliment, that is the purpose for these sites, is to help others. Please followup on your tire experience after some decent miles. I believe in Michelin tires, but they don't have the type of tires that you bought. In the near future I'm going to lift my front end and upgrade to off road tires.

Rambilt

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the compliment, that is the purpose for these sites, is to help others. Please followup on your tire experience after some decent miles. I believe in Michelin tires, but they don't have the type of tires that you bought. In the near future I'm going to lift my front end and upgrade to off road tires.
I love Michelin tires also but currently my budget does not fit the Michelin prices specially in this size of tires. Anyway, I will surely provide an update as to how these tires serves its purpose. Again, thank you kindly for your advises.

v/r

Rick

Users who are viewing this thread