5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram 1500 5700 E battery Voltage

Shojaa

Reaction score
Good day all
Can any one advice about battery voltage
I have Ram 2021 Laramie 5700 e torque

Recently it’s can’t start suddenly

Then after test battery CCA tech told me its weak and need to replace

After adding new Battery my voltage
At start Reading 13.5-13.6 V at idle and at driving highway 13.9 -13.8 V
But after 1 hour driving
Reading down to 13.0 -12.7 V

Is this normal ? Or something went wrong At hemi E . T
Especially when its 13 V someone told me this mean battery full charged because of smart alternator

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
First, you should make a better post heading. "5" tells us nothing. Second, the voltage you see has nothing to do with the battery. All systems run off the eTorque battery. The 12v battery in the engine compartment is only there to start the engine from a dead start. After that, the eTorque battery takes over even for stop/start.

Shojaa

Reaction score
First, you should make a better post heading. "5" tells us nothing. Second, the voltage you see has nothing to do with the battery. All systems run off the eTorque battery. The 12v battery in the engine compartment is only there to start the engine from a dead start. After that, the eTorque battery takes over even for stop/start.

Thanks for your note I forgot the title.

So do you think my Voltage reading is normal? Or i need to investigate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vincentw56

Reaction score
It will be in the range of 12 to 14. As long as it is in that range, you are fine.

6of36

Reaction score
I don't think that's exactly right. The etorque battery is 48 volts. The etorque unit is a generator starter. The truck system is 12 volt, except the etorque starter. When first starting the engine, with the push button, the 12 volt starter starts the engine. While driving the etorque unit charges both the 12 volt, and the 48 volt batteries. When you come to a stop, the auto start/stop, kills the engine. As soon as the brake is let off, the etorque unit starts the engine, and assists the take off of the vehicle for 1/2 revolution of the tire. The system should never be below 12.6 volts when running, because that is the true voltage of a 12 volt battery. At 12.6 it is barely maintaining charge. It should stay between about 13 to 14 1/2 volts when running above idle.

vincentw56

Reaction score
I don't think that's exactly right. The etorque battery is 48 volts. The etorque unit is a generator starter. The truck system is 12 volt, except the etorque starter. When first starting the engine, with the push button, the 12 volt starter starts the engine. While driving the etorque unit charges both the 12 volt, and the 48 volt batteries. When you come to a stop, the auto start/stop, kills the engine. As soon as the brake is let off, the etorque unit starts the engine, and assists the take off of the vehicle for 1/2 revolution of the tire. The system should never be below 12.6 volts when running, because that is the true voltage of a 12 volt battery. At 12.6 it is barely maintaining charge. It should stay between about 13 to 14 1/2 volts when running above idle.
What part isn't right? The truck's systems all run off the eTorque system after startup. The 12 volt battery is only used for a cold start. After that, everything runs off the 48 volt eTorque system. And yes, it is stepped down for the 12 volt system.

Rick J

Reaction score
What part isn't right? The truck's systems all run off the eTorque system after startup. The 12 volt battery is only used for a cold start. After that, everything runs off the 48 volt eTorque system. And yes, it is stepped down for the 12 volt system.
If that's the case, how come you loose all the settings when you pull the 12v battery or the battery goes dead?

vincentw56

Reaction score
If that's the case, how come you loose all the settings when you pull the 12v battery or the battery goes dead?
Because the truck isn't running. When the truck is running, the 48 volt eTorque system takes over.

vincentw56

Reaction score
I guess I am not being very clear about how the eTorque system works. This information is from the Ram engineers and the service manual. The 12-volt battery in the engine bay acts like a normal 12-volt battery when the truck is not running. It powers the systems, keeps the settings, runs the truck in ACC mode, and starts it from a cold start. When the truck is running (not in the run position, but the actual engine is running), the eTorque generator takes over and powers the truck. This includes the start/stop function, etc. It is a 48-volt system that is stepped down to run the 12-volt system.

6of36

Reaction score
I guess I am not being very clear about how the eTorque system works. This information is from the Ram engineers and the service manual. The 12-volt battery in the engine bay acts like a normal 12-volt battery when the truck is not running. It powers the systems, keeps the settings, runs the truck in ACC mode, and starts it from a cold start. When the truck is running (not in the run position, but the actual engine is running), the eTorque generator takes over and powers the truck. This includes the start/stop function, etc. It is a 48-volt system that is stepped down to run the 12-volt system.
The etorque is generating the 12 volts for every other system in the truck. It is still a 12 volt system. All that is trying to say, is that the 12 volt starter is no longer in the system, after initial start. The 48 volt battery only feeds the unit to restart.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Okay, I guess the engineers and the service manual are wrong then. Thanks for the clarification.

6of36

Reaction score
The etorque battery is 48 volts. every system except the etorque starter is 12 volts. The etorque unit acts as a 48 volt starter, and as a 48 and 12 volt generator.

vincentw56

Reaction score
I think your interpretation is wrong.
I only interpretted the information exactly as it was explained. But it's cool. What I read and heard was that everything runs off the 48 volt eTorque system after the engine is running and it is stepped down to 12 volts for all the systems. The generator is 48 volts and there is a step down to 12 volrs. 48 volts for the eTorque battery and 12 volts for everything else. Like I said, it's cool.

vincentw56

Reaction score
The etorque battery is 48 volts. every system except the etorque starter is 12 volts. The etorque unit acts as a 48 volt starter, and as a 48 and 12 volt generator.
That's what I said. 48 volts stepped down to 12 volts. Not sure how I can make that more clear since I stated that several times.

6of36

Reaction score
I will make this easier for you to see by responding to your original post. Nothing runs off of the 48 volt etorque battery, except the etorque starter. The etorque unit sends 48 volts to charge the 48 volt battery behind the seat, and 12 volts to the 12 volt battery, that powers the rest of the truck. It does not bypass the 12 volt battery to run the truck. Until the 12 volt battery dies, you can unplug the etorque unit, and the truck will still run. They don't build trucks with entirely different electrical systems for etorque and non etorque engines. They delete the 12 volt alternator, because the 48 volt generator can also provide 12 volts for the 12 volt system. A 12 volt motor doesn't have the torque to move the whole truck, which is what the etorque does on restart, so they add a 48 volt starter and battery. Show me anyplace you see saying the truck runs on the 48 volt system.

vincentw56

Reaction score
I will make this easier for you to see by responding to your original post. Nothing runs off of the 48 volt etorque battery, except the etorque starter. The etorque unit sends 48 volts to charge the 48 volt battery behind the seat, and 12 volts to the 12 volt battery, that powers the rest of the truck. It does not bypass the 12 volt battery to run the truck. Until the 12 volt battery dies, you can unplug the etorque unit, and the truck will still run. They don't build trucks with entirely different electrical systems for etorque and non etorque engines. They delete the 12 volt alternator, because the 48 volt generator can also provide 12 volts for the 12 volt system. A 12 volt motor doesn't have the torque to move the whole truck, which is what the etorque does on restart, so they add a 48 volt starter and battery. Show me anyplace you see saying the truck runs on the 48 volt system.
Yep, like I said.

Users who are viewing this thread