5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi: 8.5 seconds to 60?!?!

Resparky4

Reaction score
I just picked up a new to me, 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn w/ air suspension and the 5.7 Hemi, non eTorque. This is my first truck, and my first experience with an american V8. My previous cars were things such as supercharged v8 Range Rovers, Porsche S suvs, and other high end, quick SUVs (I did Turo and had a high end fleet). Anyways, I expected more from my new purchase. From the googling I have done, I should be seeing 0-60 around 6.1 or so? I used an app called Dragger and got 8.5 seconds, and I manually timed my 0-60 and got the same 8.5 seconds. I do live in Denver, but surely the altitude won't kill my power that much, right? Air filter is brand new, plugs look good, oil is fresh, and there are no codes. Is there a problem, or is this just truck life at altitude? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I just picked up a new to me, 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn w/ air suspension and the 5.7 Hemi, non eTorque. This is my first truck, and my first experience with an american V8. My previous cars were things such and supercharged v8 Range Rovers, Porsche S suvs, and other high end, quick SUVs (I did Turo and had a high end fleet). Anyways, I expected more from my new purchase. From the googling I have done, I should be seeing 0-60 around 6.1 or so? I used an app called Dragger and got 8.5 seconds, and I manually timed my 0-60 and got the same 8.5 seconds. I do live in Denver, but surely the altitude won't kill my power that much, right? Air filter is brand new, plugs look good, oil is fresh, and there are no codes. Is there a problem, or is this just truck life at altitude? Any help is greatly appreciated.

If you watch TFL trucks on YouTube, who are based in Utah, altitude saps power and results is big discrepancies in performance times, especially with naturally aspirated engines, turbos less so. They usually remove 1 to 1.5 secs to get a corrected sea level 0-60 & 1/4 mile time.

Your 8.5 seems slow even at altitude, could be your app? I have used similar aps and gotten 6.3 second 0-60 on a casual test, this is with rather large 33" all-terrain tires.

Resparky4

Reaction score
Your 8.5 seems slow even at altitude, could be your app? I have used similar aps and gotten 6.3 second 0-60 on a casual test, this is with rather large 33" all-terrain tires.
I manually timed it as well and still got 8.5 seconds. I'm going to pull the cats to make sure they aren't plugged, but I'm not seeing any signs of plugged cats. The intake system is clear and open. I may swap plugs and see what happens. If this is just how N/A Hemis are at altitude, I have a supercharger coming in my near future! I can't do slow anymore lol.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I manually timed it as well and still got 8.5 seconds. I'm going to pull the cats to make sure they aren't plugged, but I'm not seeing any signs of plugged cats. The intake system is clear and open. I may swap plugs and see what happens. If this is just how N/A Hemis are at altitude, I have a supercharger coming in my near future! I can't do slow anymore lol.

Gotcha, makes sense. You may also want to test drive another truck or have a shop dyno it, just to be sure.

RedFred

Reaction score
What octane gas are you running? If you are running 87 octane, you are losing a few hp.

Users who are viewing this thread