5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

rake or no rake

69Sting

Reaction score
So a newbee to lifts and leveling kits so hopefully my questions are not that stupid. I did try to search the forum but coudn't find the answers.
I am reading up on Leveling and totally see the reason for bigger tires and that is what turned me on to look into things further. Then I read that people are trying to lessen the 'rake' (rear being higher than the front). Is there a reason you want a truck to be level or less rake?

I always thought you wanted the rear up 2 inches so that when you towed or hauled anything in the bed of any weight your truck sat level for best control.
Please advise.....

I see the only 2 inch all around 'lift' is the Mopar lift. Aftermarket you either Level kit or 3.5 inch lift. I just want to keep the truck stance and put 35's under it for a bit more ground clearance, so 2 inches is good.

Thank you.
69Sting

R

Rob5589

You have it correct. Leveling is for looks as some prefer no rake. If you use the truck as intended, some rake will be beneficial so as to reduce sagging in the rear when loaded.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So a newbee to lifts and leveling kits so hopefully my questions are not that stupid. I did try to search the forum but coudn't find the answers.
I am reading up on Leveling and totally see the reason for bigger tires and that is what turned me on to look into things further. Then I read that people are trying to lessen the 'rake' (rear being higher than the front). Is there a reason you want a truck to be level or less rake?

I always thought you wanted the rear up 2 inches so that when you towed or hauled anything in the bed of any weight your truck sat level for best control.
Please advise.....

I see the only 2 inch all around 'lift' is the Mopar lift. Aftermarket you either Level kit or 3.5 inch lift. I just want to keep the truck stance and put 35's under it for a bit more ground clearance, so 2 inches is good.

Thank you.
69Sting

I put Nitto Ridge Grapplers on mine without any leveling or lifting. I kinda like the raked look.

Attachments

• Rake.jpg
    Rake.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 276

Cross88

Reaction score
Yup as rob5589 stated it’s just for appearance, and the rake is for function/purpose. Now if you want both, just pick up some airbags for the rear when you have a load and you’ll be set.

George Bednar

Reaction score
Yup as rob5589 stated it’s just for appearance, and the rake is for function/purpose. Now if you want both, just pick up some airbags for the rear when you have a load and you’ll be set.

So if I am understanding you correctly, the rake serves no purpose on a Limited that has the 4 corner air suspension?

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So if I am understanding you correctly, the rake serves no purpose on a Limited that has the 4 corner air suspension?

The rake will help with aerodynamics and MPG's not sure how that plays into the air suspension since it can lower it self at speed anyway.

Cross88

Reaction score

That’s a good point you bring up, the rake is kind of silly with the 4 corner air suspension in my opinion.

R

Rob5589

I can't say, I have no knowledge of how the air suspension works. Can you lift only the rear to compensate for a load?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I can't say, I have no knowledge of how the air suspension works. Can you lift only the rear to compensate for a load?
It does auto-compensate for loads (in the bed or cab).

Personally, I think it looks good with a bit of rake. A truck that is truly level looks like it has a bit of squat.

RamSco

Reaction score
Spot on!

R

Rob5589

I ran Air Lift helper bags on my Silverado. Worked great, super easy install.

NobleRam

Reaction score
I have a 2019 ram rebel that I’m trying to level. But I need to know what size level to go with do i do the 1.5” or the 2” level?

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well since you asked, I have never liked the look of a leveled truck. You need the rake to use the truck for hauling a load and or towing a trailer. Why have a truck that looks like it’s not capable of hauling any load when it’s empty, or look like a whooped dog with it’s tail between its legs hauling something from a leveled truck, along with being unsafe. If you are going to use your truck and want a lift, I suggest lifting the rear as much as you lift the front.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Level is for looks. I am gonna try and retain at least a half inch of rake though cause I'd rather have that than be nose high and it's tricky to get exactly level.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The stock 3" of rake makes your truck look like a stinkbug. Leveling kits make the truck look a lot better as long as you don't go nose high. Most people leave anywhere from 1/2"-1" of rake, which is the best look, IMO.

Measure the difference between both fenders and get the appropriate leveling kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online