5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rake on air suspension unneeded?

Reaction score
I hate the rake on my truck and am thinking about getting the Revel links.

I was wondering though, what exactly is the point of the rake on truck with the 4-corner air anyway?

With springs the jacked up rear serves a purpose, but with the air the leveling pump just holds the foretilt regardless, right? Is it there just so it doesn’t make it's steel sprung bretheran jealous?

I'm wondering if I just bring up the front by 1/2" drop the rear by 3/4" it'll take the edge off the thing without needing a spacer or messing up the ride.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Excellent question. Now I’m curious as well. Maybe something about aerodynamic performance?

Dirtdoc

Reaction score
I put links on my front only for now to raise roughly 1/2". I think the front lower allows less air under the truck to give better aerodynamics. Would like to lower rear maybe 1/4-1/2". Will see.

Reaction score
I put links on my front only for now to raise roughly 1/2". I think the front lower allows less air under the truck to give better aerodynamics. Would like to lower rear maybe 1/4-1/2". Will see.

Thanks, and put some pictures up if you get it looking right. A height neutral leveling is my goal.

I wonder though if dropping the rear with links softens the tail, as in reduces load carrying capacity?

Last edited:

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I hate the rake on my truck and am thinking about getting the Revel links.

I was wondering though, what exactly is the point of the rake on truck with the 4-corner air anyway?

With springs the jacked up rear serves a purpose, but with the air the leveling pump just holds the foretilt regardless, right? Is it there just so it doesn’t make it's steel sprung bretheran jealous?

I'm wondering if I just bring up the front by 1/2" drop the rear by 3/4" it'll take the edge off the thing without needing a spacer or messing up the ride.
Aerodynamics

Reaction score
Aerodynamics
Well sure, but 2 inches?

Having that hinee way up in the air like that is costing us is my conjecture. I've got a Leer topper on order and I'll bet if I could pick up mpg by running the rig a little less nose down - plus it'll look a helluva lot better.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Well sure, but 2 inches?

Having that hinee way up in the air like that is costing us is my conjecture. I've got a Leer topper on order and I'll bet if I could pick up mpg by running the rig a little less nose down - plus it'll look a helluva lot better.
I have mine leveled so no rake for me anymore.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Front end side to side is unlevel too. My front driver side sits about 3/4” lower than the passenger side

monkeypunch

Reaction score
Seems silly we can't use the air suspension to level it through a setting.

Reaction score
Great comments all!

It's sinking in now that the truck is built to wave its butt in the air even if it doesn't need too. The workaround is the Daystar spacer - if you can't bring the tail down bring the nose up - but I don't want to go higher.

And if I drop the rear I'll be hitting the bump stocks in aero, but I could swap those for shortees. Still, I'll be running the rear at a lower pressure... anybody tow with this setup?

FYI Lots of other threads on this like this one:

Users who are viewing this thread