5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rain guards / vent visors

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
I tried the in channel AVS on my 11 ram but I could never get them to fit correctly and I followed the instructions. I returned them and bought the stick on AVS and never had a problem with them. Traded the truck in 5 years later and they were still intact. I tried the AVS in channel again with my new 21 ram and the rears would bend or warp with the window fully up and it looked like crap. I again returned them and bought the stick on version and a year and a half later they are still intact. I went with the AVS brand because they are readily available at every nearby part store. Since the stick ons adhere to the black window trim instead of the paint I think it's acceptable but the in channels do look better Screenshot_20220912-085513_Gallery.jpg

gofishn

Reaction score
What’s the best rain guards for these trucks mopar? Also I heard they can trap water or the glue coming loose from the tape and then leaving a lot of residue is this true ?

You just asked which is better, Ford, Chevy or Ram.
Truth is, they are pretty much excellent. I prefer AVS.
Cannot recommend in-the-window-channel anything.

Know too many Mechanics, who told me too many issues, over the years.
Probably the single best case against in channel visors is the biggest Truck accessories shop in my states capital city.
They do a ton of wholesale business, for dealers from all over, and they will not even sell in-channels.
Was waiting for my spray-in liner to get done, guy asked about in channels form the shops manager
and he came right out and said they were available, though not from him.

That the guy could buy them, practically anywhere, but that "this shop" will not have nothing to do with them.
Far too many issues, over the years, and they will no longer have anything to do with them.
Goes on to say that his shop stands behind everything they Sell , Install and Do.

Regarding the tape. that's the same stuff they used to put on Door Moldings from the late 60's & up.
Yes, if there are foreign particles on teh metal when applied, it will eventually come loose but, it;s rare and the stuff will leave a residue.
That;s what makes it work so well.
Little bit of thinner or Goof-off will take it right off.

WInd noise will increase when your windows are down, vs not having them on , at all.
Essentially you are changing how wind flows over the vehicle.
Slightly opening the rear window really helps in most cases.

I;ve had them on everyone of my cars, for decades. I like cracking them open, no matter teh temps and getting soem fresh air in teh car.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You just asked which is better, Ford, Chevy or Ram.
Truth is, they are pretty much excellent. I prefer AVS.
Cannot recommend in-the-window-channel anything.

Know too many Mechanics, who told me too many issues, over the years.
Probably the single best case against in channel visors is the biggest Truck accessories shop in my states capital city.
They do a ton of wholesale business, for dealers from all over, and they will not even sell in-channels.
Was waiting for my spray-in liner to get done, guy asked about in channels form the shops manager
and he came right out and said they were available, though not from him.

That the guy could buy them, practically anywhere, but that "this shop" will not have nothing to do with them.
Far too many issues, over the years, and they will no longer have anything to do with them.
Goes on to say that his shop stands behind everything they Sell , Install and Do.

Regarding the tape. that's the same stuff they used to put on Door Moldings from the late 60's & up.
Yes, if there are foreign particles on teh metal when applied, it will eventually come loose but, it;s rare and the stuff will leave a residue.
That;s what makes it work so well.
Little bit of thinner or Goof-off will take it right off.

WInd noise will increase when your windows are down, vs not having them on , at all.
Essentially you are changing how wind flows over the vehicle.
Slightly opening the rear window really helps in most cases.

I;ve had them on everyone of my cars, for decades. I like cracking them open, no matter teh temps and getting soem fresh air in teh car.
What "issues" do they mention for not selling or installing them?

I've had in-channels on multiple vehicles since 2000 and never had any issues on any vehicle they were installed on. I won't run anything else. They are lower profile and look far better than any stick on vent visor.

gofishn

Reaction score

I've had in-channels on multiple vehicles since 2000 and never had any issues on any vehicle they were installed on. I won't run anything else. They are lower profile and look far better than any stick on vent visor.

Windows that would not go up all the way, causing leaks.
Some vehicles, the window would sense the increased resistance, then go back down.
Burnt Motors.
Jumping off track or twisting the track.

According to him, and he has the low profile on his truck, he loved the look of them, but, as he put it.
"Far too much After-Birth to p!ss with"
The Low profile version, when available, are almost as tight to the window, tend to meet in the middle, which looks cleaner than original style and yield no issues after installation.

I had/have no Dog , in this Hunt. I like the Original ones and always get them.
Then again, been married for 38 years, If I hang a picture, it will stay there till I die.
Not much for change.

country4life

Reaction score

And you don’t have any residue crap left over when removing them

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Windows that would not go up all the way, causing leaks.
Some vehicles, the window would sense the increased resistance, then go back down.
Burnt Motors.
Jumping off track or twisting the track.

According to him, and he has the low profile on his truck, he loved the look of them, but, as he put it.
"Far too much After-Birth to p!ss with"
The Low profile version, when available, are almost as tight to the window, tend to meet in the middle, which looks cleaner than original style and yield no issues after installation.

I had/have no Dog , in this Hunt. I like the Original ones and always get them.
Then again, been married for 38 years, If I hang a picture, it will stay there till I die.
Not much for change.
From my experience, and seeing others posts, most of the issues people have with in-channels is either installation error, or buying cheap ones that don't fit properly

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
From my experience, and seeing others posts, most of the issues people have with in-channels is either installation error, or buying cheap ones that don't fit properly
Which ones are the "cheap" ones

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Never realized the AVS were cheap ones
IMO they are. Unless their quality has changed. All the ones I've messed with were significantly thinner, and just felt cheap compared to say Weather tech

Users who are viewing this thread