5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Radio Swap

Reaction score
I recently purchased an 8.4 inch radio with the whole center stack that includes the auto climate control, can I swap out with my single controls if I just get the OBD geenie and temperature sensor? I hooked up the radio and that works but I have no control of HVAC currently and the screen has none of the HVAC options on it either.

Attachments

• 159342112_10222861257233249_8782923299308438068_o.jpg
    159342112_10222861257233249_8782923299308438068_o.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 88
  • Radio.jpg
    Radio.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 88

FM45

Reaction score
You must change the sensor on the top center dash, add the temp sensor .. behind knee bolster right side, that must be wired, make the necessary change in your BCM via alfaobd.... it works because I did it to my Ram... if you're up to the challenge I will post all the part numbers and a quick how to ....

-=FM45=-

Reaction score
You must change the sensor on the top center dash, add the temp sensor .. behind knee bolster right side, that must be wired, make the necessary change in your BCM via alfaobd.... it works because I did it to my Ram... if you're up to the challenge I will post all the part numbers and a quick how to ....

-=FM45=-
Please send me the part info and thank you for the info!

FM45

Reaction score
KK... will get part info together --- in the meantime here is a good youtube vid for reference ...

-=FM45=-

FM45

Reaction score
These are all the parts needed -- All numbers are Factory OEM .... do shop around for the
best prices and shipping time... bamwholesaleparts.com for ex. has been my goto for most of my projects...

68230114AB SENSOR. A.T.C. Sun -- qty. 1
55111178AC SENSOR. Temperature, Temperature Cabin Air -- qty. 1
06512042AA Mounting Screw -- qty. 1
68498863AA Wiring-4 Way - Mopar -- qty. 1

Wiring pin out--- http://connectors.dcctools.com/details.htm?id=153303
You will need Alfaobd to make the proper change to your BCM, if not you will have a run-away hvac system with
no control...

-=FM45=-

Reaction score
These are all the parts needed -- All numbers are Factory OEM .... do shop around for the
best prices and shipping time... bamwholesaleparts.com for ex. has been my goto for most of my projects...

68230114AB SENSOR. A.T.C. Sun -- qty. 1
55111178AC SENSOR. Temperature, Temperature Cabin Air -- qty. 1
06512042AA Mounting Screw -- qty. 1
68498863AA Wiring-4 Way - Mopar -- qty. 1

Wiring pin out--- http://connectors.dcctools.com/details.htm?id=153303
You will need Alfaobd to make the proper change to your BCM, if not you will have a run-away hvac system with
no control...

-=FM45=-
How do I get controls to show on radio? I got the manual dial controls working correctly through Alpha OBD but not sure how I get controls on display??

FM45

Reaction score
@ aw....
1616177887121.png

if you made this change it should show up.... you will still need the parts listed to make it work correctly...

-=FM45=-

Reaction score
All good, everything is working like a charm now! It took a couple hrs of truck sitting and then the radio had all controls listed and everything works as it should. Just to recap, I purchased the whole center stack with the 8.4 NON Nav Gen 5 radio with dual climate controls and popped out my 5 inch with with single climate controls. The costs were $400 for center stack and radio, $13 for the radio code which was a piece of cake to get online, $99 for the OBD II (MX+),$49 for alphobd software, $60 for auto climate control harness, $25 for in cabin temp sensor, $25 for dash sunlight sensor, $15 for FAKRA C to K cable and I was able to use my bypass module from my I3 tunner. All in I spent $685 and it looks so much nicer, plus I have the google car play so now I can use navigation on there and lots of great apps. Alpha OBD is super easy to use and has lots of great features!

Alptbird

Reaction score
FM 45. Thank you for this. Is there any info on if we activate the dual zone in the BCM without the control addition but with the sensor additions if the ac controls will come up on the non nav 8.4.? And function?

Last edited:

FM45

Reaction score
@bird--- I don't know the answer for sure... but just knowing how the BCM works hand in hand with the CAN BUS system I can only assume you would need all parts for the Auto HVAC to work properly. I have already modified 4 Rams and each time the hvac system would run away - no control - until I made the proper change to the bcm....

-=FM45=-

Alptbird

Reaction score
Confirmed it works!
just swapped my manual single to auto single (dual but really single). I did have to modify the controls a touch. this set cam with heated steering wheel and heated and cooled seats. Well i didn't want to see the buttons so I removed them and put the blank off my manual single controls in its place. gave it a little wrap to help tie it in to the wrap i have done selectively in the rest of the truck. now i did make all the changes using AlfaOBD as I finished the physical install. so the radio wasn't showing the change right away. and the AC was off when i did the change. but i had to go put kids to bed and do all the dad thing. but the next evening when i went back out radio came up with AC controls a/c worked fine other than the dual zone didn't work due to not having a dual zone behind the dash. but the auto worked fine as does the ac. Thanks FM45!

Attachments

• old single ac.jpg
    old single ac.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 93
  • new dual ac.jpg
    new dual ac.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 94
  • installed ac.jpg
    installed ac.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 93

ericcloe

Reaction score
Can you guys share what you put in alfaODB to get everything to work.

THFD334

Reaction score
@bird--- I don't know the answer for sure... but just knowing how the BCM works hand in hand with the CAN BUS system I can only assume you would need all parts for the Auto HVAC to work properly. I have already modified 4 Rams and each time the hvac system would run away - no control - until I made the proper change to the bcm....

-=FM45=-
I know this is a bit old but I'm hoping someone is watching and can answer a few questions. I have the 8.4 NON nav in a 19 ram BH. I would like to add auto climate control to it. Is this even possible without having dual climate controls? I know I'll need the temp sensor at the knee bolster and the sun sensor on the dash. If I buy the correct parts, can I add it to my truck? It may seem trivial or even lazy, but I park outside the firehouse and this time of year the heat is on in the morning and ac in the afternoon. I'd like to just be able to set it to one temperature and use the remote start. If not, can I at least add the climate controls to the screen??
Any info you all have will be GREATLY appreciated, thanks!
(I do have the bypass, obd II reader, and alfaobd software.

Users who are viewing this thread