5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Radio rebooting

kjinwil00

Reaction score
Bought a new 22 ram rebel in March with 8.4 in display. 1st issue I have is rear passenger speaker not working. One on order with no arrival date from fca. That's not a big issue. A month or so later and now sometimes when I start the truck the radio will lock up and make a humming/scratching noise at the volume it was last at and the radio will reboot and work fine. Seems to mostly happen after driving, shutting off for a little bit, then restarting. Anyone else have this issue?

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine does the same thing. I have not had a chance to bring it in yet. Also get the UConnect needs updating alert too.

Bflint

Reaction score
Have had my new 2022 Ram Laramie for 3 months now (7500K miles travelled). This whole Uconnect device seems to be a real "cluster f". Many ongoing problems on truck startup. So far have encountered (1) blank/black screen for up to 15 minutes preventing any access or backup camera, (2) connecting message for up to 15 minutes preventing any access or backup camera, and (3) locked screen, currently on FM source, which has prevented access for over a day now. Just scheduled warranty appointment with RAM dealer here in San Diego to get 1st official look-see problem ... expect them to reset somehow and then blow me off. Have also submitted online problem report to https://www.ramtrucks.com/webselfservice, but don't expect any solution feedback from them. Really expecting that this will end up in "lemon law" court at this point. Really like this truck, but the Uconnect system is the control center for everything so I just can't ignore this problem.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Have had my new 2022 Ram Laramie for 3 months now (7500K miles travelled). This whole Uconnect device seems to be a real "cluster f". Many ongoing problems on truck startup. So far have encountered (1) blank/black screen for up to 15 minutes preventing any access or backup camera, (2) connecting message for up to 15 minutes preventing any access or backup camera, and (3) locked screen, currently on FM source, which has prevented access for over a day now. Just scheduled warranty appointment with RAM dealer here in San Diego to get 1st official look-see problem ... expect them to reset somehow and then blow me off. Have also submitted online problem report to https://www.ramtrucks.com/webselfservice, but don't expect any solution feedback from them. Really expecting that this will end up in "lemon law" court at this point. Really like this truck, but the Uconnect system is the control center for everything so I just can't ignore this problem.
more here

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Bought a new 22 ram rebel in March with 8.4 in display. 1st issue I have is rear passenger speaker not working. One on order with no arrival date from fca. That's not a big issue. A month or so later and now sometimes when I start the truck the radio will lock up and make a humming/scratching noise at the volume it was last at and the radio will reboot and work fine. Seems to mostly happen after driving, shutting off for a little bit, then restarting. Anyone else have this issue?
Mine did this twice in the last year since new. Hasn’t happened for quite some time now so I’m not gonna worry about it unless it happens more frequently.

Last edited:

Bflint

Reaction score
Status: Uconnect system further degraded: Touch screen didn't work and compass did not register anything. Had dealer check out problems. Took two days. Got back truck today. Said solution was to upgrade software from version 145.00.15 to 160.00.21. All seems to work ok now. Only time will tell for sure,

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had this same thing happen a couple of times when I first got my ‘22. I had a USB thumb drive plugged in at the time.. I since removed it and it hasn’t occurred since.

irishwake63

Reaction score
I had this same thing happen a couple of times when I first got my ‘22. I had a USB thumb drive plugged in at the time.. I since removed it and it hasn’t occurred since.
same issue with my 22 with the 8.4 spent hours at dealership and they cant reproduce and I have tried 2 weeks with nothing plugged into USB and not had an issue I purchased another USB drive (name brand) and loaded it plugged it in and radio screen started flashing I since then put in passenger side USB port and not an issue yet so I would say its a bad USB hub I expressed this to the dealership and showed many videos of it occurring and they still wont replace the 30 dollar part because they cant reproduce issue

Bflint

Reaction score
Status: Uconnect system further degraded: Touch screen didn't work and compass did not register anything. Had dealer check out problems. Took two days. Got back truck today. Said solution was to upgrade software from version 145.00.15 to 160.00.21. All seems to work ok now. Only time will tell for sure,
New Status: Touch screen locked up again! Tried various on/off fixes but the only thing that worked was the 10-20 second reset procedure I found on internet (press volume and tuner knobs at same time for 10-20 seconds). Just what I didn't want in my vehicle .... a low budget and unreliable computer that you have to reboot all the time!

Bigbags85

Reaction score
Mine has done that as well off and on. Seems to happen more in colder weather and when first starting the truck. No real fix as far as I know.

Loudram

Reaction score
Same here. Mine started a couple of months ago. It usually happens at start up and most of the time it buzzes until I hold the power button for 10 seconds, then it reboots. The other day it went blank and I couldn't use the camera. It's the first time that happened. I'll have to take a video of it for the dealership because I know it won't do it for them. It may need an update. The only information I could find is this.
20230828_202943.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread